An Interesting Quote for Simmers

Arthur

While perusing my latest issue of Reader's Digest today (one of my wilder
habits), I came across this quote which might apply to us simmers:

Imagination was given
to man to compensate him
for what he is not;
a sense of humour to console
him for what he is.

Francis Bacon Sr.

Think about it.

Arthur

http://community.webshots.com/user/talkster2
(Click this link to view my portfolio of photographs)

I was not looking for my dreams to interpret my life, but for my life to
interpret my dreams.

Arthur

Yikes! That came out crummy. Here it is again:

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message

> While perusing my latest issue of Reader's Digest today (one of my wilder
> habits), I came across this quote which might apply to us simmers:
>
> Imagination was
> given to man to compensate him
> for what he is not;
> a sense of humour to console
> him for what he is.
>
> Francis Bacon Sr.
>
> Think about it.
>
> Arthur
>
> http://community.webshots.com/user/talkster2
> (Click this link to view my portfolio of photographs)
>
> I was not looking for my dreams to interpret my life, but for my life to
> interpret my dreams.

GREGORY

On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:12:53 -0400, "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Yikes! That came out crummy. Here it is again:
>
>Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
>a sense of humour to console him for what he is.

Arthur.. what is the fascination with this F. Bacon? not to be taken
as an aggressive reply.. but I seem to recall an individual who was
heavily into the dark side. American is being inundated with horribly
degenerative media, culture and information.. any many do not or
cannot recognize it. So who is this guy of (supposed) wisdom? Am
merely saying.. beware of false prophesy.

-G

Arthur

"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:12:53 -0400, "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com>
> brought the following to our attention:
>
>>Yikes! That came out crummy. Here it is again:
>>
>>Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
>>a sense of humour to console him for what he is.
>
> Arthur.. what is the fascination with this F. Bacon? not to be taken
> as an aggressive reply.. but I seem to recall an individual who was
> heavily into the dark side. American is being inundated with horribly
> degenerative media, culture and information.. any many do not or
> cannot recognize it. So who is this guy of (supposed) wisdom? Am
> merely saying.. beware of false prophesy.
>

> -G
(SNIPPITY SNIP)
American is being inundated with horribly
degenerative media, culture and information.. any many do not or
cannot recognize it.

I can't disagree with that.

However, in defence of Francis Bacon Sr.'s quote, I do believe that those
of us who use FS9 (including real-life pilots), are rich in imagination and
also enjoy a wonderful sense of humour. All of this is obvious in many of
the posts on this newsgroup since those two assets (imagination and a sense
of humour), are integral to enjoying this program and having fun in a world
of virtual reality.

Arthur

GREGORY

On Mon, 23 May 2005 12:00:07 -0400, "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>"Gregory" <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:12:53 -0400, "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com>
>> brought the following to our attention:
>>
>>>Yikes! That came out crummy. Here it is again:
>>>
>>>Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
>>>a sense of humour to console him for what he is.
>>
>> Arthur.. what is the fascination with this F. Bacon? not to be taken
>> as an aggressive reply.. but I seem to recall an individual who was
>> heavily into the dark side. American is being inundated with horribly
>> degenerative media, culture and information.. any many do not or
>> cannot recognize it. So who is this guy of (supposed) wisdom? Am
>> merely saying.. beware of false prophesy.
>>

>> -G
>(SNIPPITY SNIP)
>American is being inundated with horribly
>degenerative media, culture and information.. any many do not or
>cannot recognize it.
>
>I can't disagree with that.
>
>However, in defence of Francis Bacon Sr.'s quote, I do believe that those
>of us who use FS9 (including real-life pilots), are rich in imagination and
>also enjoy a wonderful sense of humour. All of this is obvious in many of
>the posts on this newsgroup since those two assets (imagination and a sense
>of humour), are integral to enjoying this program and having fun in a world
>of virtual reality.
>
>Arthur

ok Arthur.. will also agree about the imagination and humor..
It's just that your quote prompted a run of google searches. :)

-G

Are you taking the piss? Francis Bacon !561 -1626 is one of our greatest
pre-scientists - I am not talking about the recently deceased painter who
never wrote anything sensible.

--
Cheers,

Quilly

GREGORY

On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:31:24 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> brought the following to our
attention:

>Are you taking the piss? Francis Bacon !561 -1626 is one of our greatest
>pre-scientists - I am not talking about the recently deceased painter who
>never wrote anything sensible.

Oh good.. some of the paintings and art that I saw were positively
horrible, grotesque and macabre such as distorted faces and the like.

Unfortunately cannot discuss the subject further without bringing on
attacks. Not appropriate for Sim group. So let's leave it as stated
above.. least to say the name Bacon came up in the last months'
studies. It was in a different context.. other than Readers Digest..
yes sir.

-Gregory

Hi Arthur,

Oh, err, OK, well, ah, now I get it, mate - I can only imagine what you
were going through when you typed it the first time! :))

Regards,
John Ward
> Yikes! That came out crummy. Here it is again:
>
> Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense
> of humour to console him for what he is.
>

> "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
>>
>> While perusing my latest issue of Reader's Digest today (one of my wilder
>> habits), I came across this quote which might apply to us simmers:
>>
>> Imagination was
>> given to man to compensate him
>> for what he is not;
>> a sense of humour to console
>> him for what he is.
>>
>> Francis Bacon Sr.
>>
>> Think about it.
>>
>> Arthur
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/user/talkster2
>> (Click this link to view my portfolio of photographs)
>>
>> I was not looking for my dreams to interpret my life, but for my life to
>> interpret my dreams.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Arthur wrote:

> I do believe that those
> of us who use FS9 (including real-life pilots), are rich in imagination and
> also enjoy a wonderful sense of humour. All of this is obvious in many of
> the posts on this newsgroup since those two assets (imagination and a sense
> of humour), are integral to enjoying this program and having fun in a world
> of virtual reality.
>
> Arthur

And we talk about our flights just like they were real, and some even
take the time to upload pictures of our flights. I agree, we have a
heck of an imagination. But I like it.

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70