Pinging working, but cannot access web server?

Last response: in Networking
Share
February 4, 2005 5:56:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

HI,

I'm getting crazy.... here is my problem:

We want to connect one of our printer on our local network
(10.10.10.0) to an other local network (192.168.100.0) via a vpn
connection through the Internet.

The goal of all this is to allow a server in the other network
(192.168.100.0) to be able to print in our local network (10.10.10.0).

The VPN tunnel is set up from our firewall (10.10.10.10), and we can
PING each other well in both direction. (I can ping a machine for
example 192.168.100.2 from a 10.10.10.x machine etc... and from
192.168.100.x we can ping all of our machines in our local lan
10.10.10.0).

The printer has a fixed private IP adress (10.10.10.50), of course we
can ping it from 192.168.100.x.

BUT here comes the 1st problem:
-------------------------------

When I try to access the webserver in the printer (an HP 4250tn) from
the distant network (192.168.100.x) it doesn't work!!! But pinging is
ok! From ou local lan i can get in with no problems.

Now here come the 2nd problem:
------------------------------

We I try to print from the distant server (192.168.100.x) it works...
sometimes! Sometimes a couple page are coming out and then nothing!! I
think there is a time ou somewhere but I cannont find out where!

Infos:
-----

The extern router conected with my ISP is a Netopia.
The Firewall/VPN is a Trendnet

If anybody has any ideas... please help me! I've spend almost 13 hours
today on that problem and I'm stuck!

Marc
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 8:17:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

A) It's possible you are blocking port 80 (HTTP)
B) Maybe your VPN connection is getting dropped (unreliable connection)
C) Can you access any intranet site on either subnet from the other through
the VPN connection?
D) Do you have multiple paths defined that is causing some of the packets to
be redirected to a non-existent connection?

--
Steve Seguis - MCSE, MVP Windows Server, SCJP
SCRIPTMATION, INC.

"marc" <marc2004@romandie.com> wrote in message
> HI,
>
> I'm getting crazy.... here is my problem:
>
> We want to connect one of our printer on our local network
> (10.10.10.0) to an other local network (192.168.100.0) via a vpn
> connection through the Internet.
>
> The goal of all this is to allow a server in the other network
> (192.168.100.0) to be able to print in our local network (10.10.10.0).
>
> The VPN tunnel is set up from our firewall (10.10.10.10), and we can
> PING each other well in both direction. (I can ping a machine for
> example 192.168.100.2 from a 10.10.10.x machine etc... and from
> 192.168.100.x we can ping all of our machines in our local lan
> 10.10.10.0).
>
> The printer has a fixed private IP adress (10.10.10.50), of course we
> can ping it from 192.168.100.x.
>
> BUT here comes the 1st problem:
> -------------------------------
>
> When I try to access the webserver in the printer (an HP 4250tn) from
> the distant network (192.168.100.x) it doesn't work!!! But pinging is
> ok! From ou local lan i can get in with no problems.
>

> Now here come the 2nd problem:
> ------------------------------
>
> We I try to print from the distant server (192.168.100.x) it works...
> sometimes! Sometimes a couple page are coming out and then nothing!! I
> think there is a time ou somewhere but I cannont find out where!
>

> Infos:
> -----
>
> The extern router conected with my ISP is a Netopia.
> The Firewall/VPN is a Trendnet
>

> If anybody has any ideas... please help me! I've spend almost 13 hours
> today on that problem and I'm stuck!
>

> Marc
February 5, 2005 8:17:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

Thanks Steve for your answer,

> A) It's possible you are blocking port 80 (HTTP)
It might?? But there is no rules on the firewall so I assume that
everything is allowed?

> B) Maybe your VPN connection is getting dropped (unreliable connection)
It's what I think, but how to be sure of that?

> C) Can you access any intranet site on either subnet from the other through
> the VPN connection?
Nope

> D) Do you have multiple paths defined that is causing some of the packets to
> be redirected to a non-existent connection?
Normally no, but it's a quiet messud up network... so I'm not sure! Is
there a way to find if a different path is used? I've tried "tracert"
but it seems right.

Thanks for your help

Marc

> --
> Steve Seguis - MCSE, MVP Windows Server, SCJP
> SCRIPTMATION, INC.
> Automating the Enterprise
> http://www.scriptmation.com
February 6, 2005 1:09:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

B) Use ping -t whateverip and see if the connection drops over time.

C) Then something is really blocking HTTP traffic either at the firewall or
on the host machines.

D) I assume if you can use tracert, then you're good to go.

Based on your answers it definitely must be something that's preventing HTTP
traffic from getting through. Do you an FTP server on the other subnet to
try and see if FTP traffic gets through?

--

> Thanks Steve for your answer,
>

>> A) It's possible you are blocking port 80 (HTTP)
> It might?? But there is no rules on the firewall so I assume that
> everything is allowed?
>
>> B) Maybe your VPN connection is getting dropped (unreliable connection)
> It's what I think, but how to be sure of that?
>
>> C) Can you access any intranet site on either subnet from the other
>> through
>> the VPN connection?
> Nope
>
>> D) Do you have multiple paths defined that is causing some of the packets
>> be redirected to a non-existent connection?
> Normally no, but it's a quiet messud up network... so I'm not sure! Is
> there a way to find if a different path is used? I've tried "tracert"
> but it seems right.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Marc
>

>> --
>> Steve Seguis - MCSE, MVP Windows Server, SCJP
>> SCRIPTMATION, INC.
>> Automating the Enterprise
>> http://www.scriptmation.com
February 6, 2005 3:22:19 PM

Archived from groups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

Thanks again for your answer,

> B) Use ping -t whateverip and see if the connection drops over time.
It's what I did. Once the response time started to climb and the the
ping stopped. But Sometimes it works for hours!

> C) Then something is really blocking HTTP traffic either at the firewall or
> on the host machines.
It might be the firewall, I'm gonna set up a new rule for this
problem. If we cannot access the web server on the printer via the VPN
tunnel, it's not a big deal.
THE BIG problem is the printing job. The communication works fine
because we can print a couple pages via the VPN tunnel, but once we
want to print a big file (~5-8mb ==> 100 pages) it works for a while
(it's really slow but it works) and then... it fails after 30 pages or
so. Then the printing job starts again from the beginning an so on...

I really think that we have a timeout somewhere... but how to identify
where it is??? Is there a tool we could use to monitor that?

Thanks for your help.

Marc
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:58:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

OK. So definitely something wrong with the connectivity. There are quite a
few network analysis tool (including the network monitoring tool built into
windows server) but one good test may be to try mapping a drive to a server
over the VPN and copy over a large file ( > 100 MB) and see if that fails.
If you're having persistent problems, I suggest contacting your ISP and the
vendor for your VPN software to see if they can assist in resolving the
problem.

--

!