How long will PCI be around?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Because I'm considering purchasing a Creative Labs X-Fi sound card, I'm curious how long you guys think regular PCI slots will be around. I'm still using an old SB Live on my gaming system (X2-4400, 2 GB, 7800 GTX) so I'm expecting my next card to last through at least one more system.

Anyone?

theboomboomcars

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Well if history repeats itself then we'll still be seeing that single PCI slot amidst the PCI-ex, like the ISA slots that just wouldn't go away, for a few more years.

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Considering how long it has taken for "ISA" to disappear (and is still available for industrial applications), and the sheer number of PCI devices available... It is going to be quite some time before the PCI bus fades into memory! I'm sure you will be going threw a number of upgrades before the vunerable pci bus disappears.

zyzplasmaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
i think they'll still be around for 2-3 years at least (if not longer) as they phrase it out slowly. from how pc are going, it seems that they want to move from pci to pci-express but the problem being that i dont think manufacturer's care to invest money to make a PCI-Express card/motherboards that doesnt offer any difference then the pci version (how many PCI-Express sound cards do you see?). maybe if there are more peripherals besides graphics card that can take advantage of the bandwidth then maybe we'll see a move to pci-express.
if you look at your pc now, what PCI card are you using?
before, we had the sound card, the network card maybe a usb card, but now that has all been integrated into the motherboard. if you need a sound card, you can get a PCI one and the PCI slot will be more then enough for it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Now all we need is a PCI to USB 2.0 adpater, in a small box that can hold a half-length PCI card. That way we can put anything we like in the box and connect it externally.

Certainly fast enough for sound cards, Ultra SCSI cards, special modems, etc.

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Now all we need is a PCI to USB 2.0 adpater, in a small box that can hold a half-length PCI card. That way we can put anything we like in the box and connect it externally

Oh! Your wish is possible! USB to PCI Bridge adapter Now to just have someone make it a reality!

If you look at your pc now, what PCI card are you using? Before, we had the sound card, the network card maybe a usb card, but now that has all been integrated into the motherboard. If you need a sound card, you can get a PCI one and the PCI slot will be more then enough for it.

Let's see: SB Audigy 2zs plat., HighPoint RR454 RAID card, Hauppauge WinTV-PCI, and a WinTV-FM Stereo... lol I just blew that thought out of the water! OK, So I'm not the norm.... but shows that many still need pci slots, and not just one!