Clogging with Canon i9900 ?

Does someone knows how avoid the clogging issues with the Canon i9900
running with Canon inks? Is there some special precautions or practices to
take with this printer?

Since two years I have a Canon i850 without any clogging, but I worry about
the 2 picoliter droplets of the i9900 (the i850 is 5 pico).

I would like to be sure that the Canon i9900 is better than the Epson
1280/1290 about clogging and worth the highter cost.

Thanks for your experience and comments.

Tiberre
13 answers Last reply
More about clogging canon i9900

    This is the first report I have read about the i9900 clogging with Canon
    inks. How often does it sit without being used?

    Tiberre wrote:

    > Does someone knows how avoid the clogging issues with the Canon i9900
    > running with Canon inks? Is there some special precautions or practices to
    > take with this printer?
    >
    > Since two years I have a Canon i850 without any clogging, but I worry about
    > the 2 picoliter droplets of the i9900 (the i850 is 5 pico).
    >
    > I would like to be sure that the Canon i9900 is better than the Epson
    > 1280/1290 about clogging and worth the highter cost.
    >
    > Thanks for your experience and comments.
    >
    > Tiberre

    I don't think he's saying it has happened...he's just worried it might, due
    to the smaller holes in the print head.

    Bill Crocker

    > This is the first report I have read about the i9900 clogging with Canon
    > inks. How often does it sit without being used?
    >
    > Tiberre wrote:
    >
    >> Does someone knows how avoid the clogging issues with the Canon i9900
    >> running with Canon inks? Is there some special precautions or practices
    >> to take with this printer?
    >>
    >> Since two years I have a Canon i850 without any clogging, but I worry
    >> about the 2 picoliter droplets of the i9900 (the i850 is 5 pico).
    >>
    >> I would like to be sure that the Canon i9900 is better than the Epson
    >> 1280/1290 about clogging and worth the highter cost.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your experience and comments.
    >>
    >> Tiberre

    I have a Canon PIXMA iP8500, which uses the i9900 print head, and inks. In
    the software, there is a function under Maintenance, called Nozzle Check.
    It prints one sheet of paper, with some color bands about 1/2" x 2", that
    are very light, pastel, in color. It checks to make sure all the nozzles
    are clear. It appears to user a very tiny amount of ink. I don't use this
    printer very often, so as preventive maintenance, I run this check once, or
    twice a week. Haven't had any problems.

    Bill Crocker

    "Tiberre" <tiberre@tele2.fr> wrote in message
    > Does someone knows how avoid the clogging issues with the Canon i9900
    > running with Canon inks? Is there some special precautions or practices to
    > take with this printer?
    >
    > Since two years I have a Canon i850 without any clogging, but I worry
    > about the 2 picoliter droplets of the i9900 (the i850 is 5 pico).
    >
    > I would like to be sure that the Canon i9900 is better than the Epson
    > 1280/1290 about clogging and worth the highter cost.
    >
    > Thanks for your experience and comments.
    >
    > Tiberre

    Thanks a lot Bill and Measekit for your fast replies.

    Sure, Bill is right because I dont already have a Canon i9900. I am on the
    market for a new A3 printer and now - thanks to your comments - I know what
    I have to do: buy a Canon i9900/9950.

    If I understand what I read around the net about printers's issues, it is
    clear that Canon printers give less problems than Epson. However the Epson
    1290 has a very good reputation about overall printing quality... but it
    clogs time by time.

    Thanks again.
    Have a nice Christmas and a good new year.

    Tiberre

    "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
    vaydnQuRi7dl4lbcRVn-ow@comcast.com...
    >I have a Canon PIXMA iP8500, which uses the i9900 print head, and inks. In
    >the software, there is a function under Maintenance, called Nozzle Check.
    >It prints one sheet of paper, with some color bands about 1/2" x 2", that
    >are very light, pastel, in color. It checks to make sure all the nozzles
    >are clear. It appears to user a very tiny amount of ink. I don't use this
    >printer very often, so as preventive maintenance, I run this check once, or
    >twice a week. Haven't had any problems.
    >
    > Bill Crocker

    I do the same thing. I run the nozzle test every two to three days.
    Clogging is an on going problem for all ink printers. Since I refill the
    ink usage isn't an issue.

    I don't use this
    > printer very often, so as preventive maintenance, I run this check once, or
    > twice a week. Haven't had any problems.
    >
    > Bill Crocker

    I have not printed up to 2 weeks and no clogging on my i9900 ...

    Markeau wrote:
    > I have not printed up to 2 weeks and no clogging on my i9900 ...

    I've gone a month or more without printing and had no clogging.

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    ThomasH wrote:
    > Tiberre wrote:
    > >
    > > Does someone knows how avoid the clogging issues with the Canon
    i9900
    > > running with Canon inks? Is there some special precautions or
    practices to
    > > take with this printer?
    > >
    > > Since two years I have a Canon i850 without any clogging, but I
    worry about
    > > the 2 picoliter droplets of the i9900 (the i850 is 5 pico).
    > >
    > > I would like to be sure that the Canon i9900 is better than the
    Epson
    > > 1280/1290 about clogging and worth the highter cost.
    >
    > I would suggest to go for Epson because of the fading problem of
    Canon's
    > inks in BCI-6 tanks. I use the same ink in my i9000/S9000 and my
    images
    > literally "faded away," causing a large part of the consumables to go

    > down the drain... To say the least: avoid the Canon Photo Paper Plus.

    I can't speak for the cheap "Plus" paper, but the Photo Pro paper works
    quite well. I've a picture of my wife that I printed spring 2004 on
    my i9900 (got it about a week after release in the U.S.) taped to my
    monitor edge (windows from near floor to top of high ceiling along
    entire
    walls to the outside are about 10~15 feet away). Photo is uncovered
    and has not faded yet.

    The older un-improved Photo-Pro paper, used with the BCI-6 inks, is
    rated by Wilhelm for about thirty-some years while the Epson 2200's
    pigment ink was rated only a bit more on glossy paper (matte paper is
    a different thing.. :-).

    Canon's Pro paper had a silent upgrade about a year ago (has "Canon"'s
    printed on the back side) and is rated a century for album use (dark
    and air sealed).

    Wilhelm numbers are here:

    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,105461,pg,3,00.asp

    Their site seems to be down as I write this, but it has done
    that before and comes back eventualy. They still may be on
    New Year vacation.... :-)

    Mike

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 22:30:03 GMT, Ben Thomas <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote:

    >Markeau wrote:
    >> I have not printed up to 2 weeks and no clogging on my i9900 ...
    >
    >I've gone a month or more without printing and had no clogging.

    I've gone more than a month without driving and had no car breakdown

    Tiberre wrote:

    > Does someone knows how avoid the clogging issues with the Canon i9900
    > running with Canon inks? Is there some special precautions or practices to
    > take with this printer?
    >
    > Since two years I have a Canon i850 without any clogging, but I worry about
    > the 2 picoliter droplets of the i9900 (the i850 is 5 pico).
    >
    > I would like to be sure that the Canon i9900 is better than the Epson
    > 1280/1290 about clogging and worth the highter cost.

    I would suggest to go for Epson because of the fading problem of Canon's
    inks in BCI-6 tanks. I use the same ink in my i9000/S9000 and my images
    literally "faded away," causing a large part of the consumables to go
    down the drain... To say the least: avoid the Canon Photo Paper Plus.

    http://www.pbase.com/phototalk_thh/2004_10_12_s9000_fading

    Go for the big Epson with pigment inks! It pays for itself by the
    superior ink system.

    Thomas

    On 4 Jan 2005 11:06:26 -0800, "Anoni Moose" <gewgle@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I can't speak for the cheap "Plus" paper, but the Photo Pro paper works
    >quite well. I've a picture of my wife that I printed spring 2004 on
    >my i9900 (got it about a week after release in the U.S.) taped to my
    >monitor edge (windows from near floor to top of high ceiling along
    >entire
    >walls to the outside are about 10~15 feet away). Photo is uncovered
    >and has not faded yet.

    I have a Canon S800, which uses the same BCI6 inks. I bought several
    packs of Photo Pro paper when I got the printer 3 years ago, so it is
    not the "improved" version. I have quite a few prints stuck up on the
    cubicle at work with little magnets. They are not covered and are
    exposed to fluorescent lighting for 12+ hours a day. I've found some
    fading on Photo Pro paper after a year in that environment.

    I also have some prints in the hall at home, in frames and under
    glass. Those have shown no fading at all after 2-3 years, also on the
    same "old" Photo Pro paper.

    I also have some prints I did using Epson "Matte Paper-Heavyweight"
    with my S800, using the setting for Canon High Resolution paper. Most
    of those photos have been in that exposed environment at work for 3
    years and they show NO signs of fading. When I bought the last
    package of Epson paper Canon didn't have a heavy matte paper, so I've
    never tried those.

    The bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with Canon's BCI6 inks,
    or the printers that use them. It's the paper that matters, and
    environment where the print is kept.

    --
    Remove preceding and trailing X from username for replies
    (Sorry, but I'm SICK of spam...)

    Al Rudderham wrote:

    > On 4 Jan 2005 11:06:26 -0800, "Anoni Moose" <gewgle@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I can't speak for the cheap "Plus" paper, but the Photo Pro paper works
    > >quite well. I've a picture of my wife that I printed spring 2004 on

    Photo paper Plus cheap? You must be mistaken: Photo paper Plus is the
    2nd from the top line, its a glossy paper. Canon claims now however
    that only the Photo Paper Pro has 4 layers and only this Pro paper
    will *under some circumstances* provide the 28-30 durability of images.
    I figured that the Plus paper might be much much less durable, say 10
    years, what would be just fine. I my wildest dreams I have not imagined
    that that I will have to reprint so much after barely 1 year.

    Paradox is that the really "cheap paper" (High Resolution, matte and
    thin) holds drastically better than the expensive Photo Paper Plus.

    > >my i9900 (got it about a week after release in the U.S.) taped to my
    > >monitor edge (windows from near floor to top of high ceiling along
    > >entire
    > >walls to the outside are about 10~15 feet away). Photo is uncovered
    > >and has not faded yet.
    >
    > I have a Canon S800, which uses the same BCI6 inks. I bought several
    > packs of Photo Pro paper when I got the printer 3 years ago, so it is
    > not the "improved" version. I have quite a few prints stuck up on the
    > cubicle at work with little magnets. They are not covered and are
    > exposed to fluorescent lighting for 12+ hours a day. I've found some
    > fading on Photo Pro paper after a year in that environment.
    >
    > I also have some prints in the hall at home, in frames and under
    > glass. Those have shown no fading at all after 2-3 years, also on the
    > same "old" Photo Pro paper.
    >
    > I also have some prints I did using Epson "Matte Paper-Heavyweight"
    > with my S800, using the setting for Canon High Resolution paper. Most
    > of those photos have been in that exposed environment at work for 3
    > years and they show NO signs of fading. When I bought the last
    > package of Epson paper Canon didn't have a heavy matte paper, so I've
    > never tried those.
    >
    > The bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with Canon's BCI6 inks,
    > or the printers that use them. It's the paper that matters, and
    > environment where the print is kept.

    True enough, but you will never know if such adverse conditions will
    devalue your images... I will that Canon prints on their paper
    "May visibly fade away in one year." Well, I am curious how many
    people will than purchase their printers! I would not. I believed
    they would last for many years.

    In the future I will go only for pigment inks, i.e. Epson!
    This stuff (Ink,paper) is damn expensive, such drastic fading is
    not acceptable.

    Thomas

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 00:05:04 -0800, ThomasH <henrymot@coco.net> wrote:

    >> The bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with Canon's BCI6 inks,
    >> or the printers that use them. It's the paper that matters, and
    >> environment where the print is kept.
    >
    >True enough, but you will never know if such adverse conditions will
    >devalue your images... I will that Canon prints on their paper
    >"May visibly fade away in one year." Well, I am curious how many
    >people will than purchase their printers! I would not. I believed
    >they would last for many years.

    The images aren't devalued - they are still stored in digital format
    ready to print again whenever I want. The "copies" I print are just
    that - copies. I'm not selling these prints, just sticking them up on
    the wall for my own enjoyment.

    >In the future I will go only for pigment inks, i.e. Epson!
    >This stuff (Ink,paper) is damn expensive, such drastic fading is
    >not acceptable.

    Expensive? I think they are dirt cheap. But then I used to do
    Cibachrome prints in my darkroom. There days I can make a print on
    the Epson Matte, which costs less than $.20 a sheet with less than
    $1.00 in ink. If I go for the Canon Photo Pro paper each sheet costs
    closer to $1.00. So an 8x10 costs under $2.00. At that price they
    are basically disposable, and if once a year I have to reprint a few
    BIG DEAL.

    I think it would be cheaper to just switch brands of paper than brands
    of printer. As I said before, Canon BCI6 inks don't fade when printed
    on Epson Matte Heavyweight Paper. If "expense" is the issue, why not
    just buy a package of that and keep the printer and supplies you have?

    --
    Remove preceding and trailing X from username for replies
    (Sorry, but I'm SICK of spam...)

Printers Canon Peripherals