Sign in with
Your question

My dads PC

Last response: in Components
March 6, 2006 3:21:27 PM

ok my Dads work PC is a pain in the arse he brough tit home to see if it would work and i go tit working but sometimes he says at work it just dies

he'll hav eit running for 3 or 4 days then it will die

when he bough tit home lasttime it gave some beeps and it was a RAM problem (supposedly)

he has a HP Vectra (its a work PC) its a 1.8 Ghz Willamette 256MB PC133 RAM, 80 GB HDD

he says after he moves it around a bit it starts working its in an HTPC format bit right now i hav eit standing vertical and its been running fine foe almost 1 day

any reason for it to randomly shut off?

posted it here cuz...it might be a PSU problem its not a CPU problem so this was the next best place

More about : dads

March 6, 2006 5:22:02 PM

Windows 98. you will need to provide some additional information so people can better understand the issue.
what is the operating system? windows ME? windows xp? 2000?
what program are running in the 2-4days that the pc is on?
pre windows2000 pc do have some issues with staying on without rebooting. this is due to memory leaks and programs not closing properly.
other issues might just be that the powersupply is slowly dying. i presume the pc is around3-4 years old.
you will need to provide more detail though. the model number might help seeing that it's a HP so you can look up more information on the HP site.
however, if it dies when it's running for 3 or 4 days, why doesnt he turn it off when he leaves work? and turn it on when he comes back? is there a reason it needs to be on constantly?
March 6, 2006 5:43:47 PM

its running XP Pro SP2 and its just idle

i looke dat the HP site they dont have it anymore they have a newer model

yes the PC is a few yars old

no becasue when u turn it off sometimes it doesnt come back

i opend it up nothign looked fried

last time he brought it home it turned on Beeped and then turned off
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 6, 2006 7:08:16 PM

A person from work ran into this issue on her older HP from home. I did the same as far as trouble shooting but everything came up OK. The machine worked fine for me and I couldn't get it to fail.

I bring it back to her and she tells me that HP told her, that if you leave the machine on for extended periods (including the lameass suspend/sleep mode) it causes a static build up in the power supply which can cause the machine to shut off and not post again. Hey, this is what they told her.

She told me she NEVER turned the thing off. So I told her to turn the damn thing off when she's not using it. Hasn't had a problem since then. It sounds lame, but then again when you consider the cheap ass parts OEMs use in their equipment, it's not too far fetched!!

Yah, I know great story, but it might help.
March 6, 2006 7:31:25 PM

wow, that is retarded. if HP acknowledges they sold crap PSUs to people they should've made it public.

anyways, if that's the problem you could get a better PSU. for the type of equipment, a 300-350W should be overkill.
March 6, 2006 10:31:41 PM

im not trying to start a flaming thread again but companys like hp use crap parts to offer cheaper prices and make a bigger profit, everyone does that...

but as for the computer, if u have another computer around try using the psu from that in his computer, if it works run to compusa or sotmhing and buy a 250watt psu...
March 7, 2006 12:16:52 AM

Quote:
A person from work ran into this issue on her older HP from home. I did the same as far as trouble shooting but everything came up OK. The machine worked fine for me and I couldn't get it to fail.

I bring it back to her and she tells me that HP told her, that if you leave the machine on for extended periods (including the lameass suspend/sleep mode) it causes a static build up in the power supply which can cause the machine to shut off and not post again. Hey, this is what they told her.

She told me she NEVER turned the thing off. So I told her to turn the damn thing off when she's not using it. Hasn't had a problem since then. It sounds lame, but then again when you consider the cheap ass parts OEMs use in their equipment, it's not too far fetched!!

Yah, I know great story, but it might help.

thanks
tha tmight help

and no i didnt try to purposly say tit i type fast and hit the space bar too early
March 7, 2006 12:30:49 AM

bu tit looked like u were trying to say tit a lot, id like to say, don tit look cooler? maybe we should all start doing it :lol: 
March 7, 2006 1:08:35 AM

yah it would be cooler maybe when perverts google tit up on google we'll get mentioned
lol
March 7, 2006 1:18:54 AM

hahaha thatd be funny, and yet, what if he busted a nut to u typing tit? ew.
March 7, 2006 1:20:46 AM

..yah lets stop now....
March 7, 2006 1:40:29 AM

8O I've been scarred. Thanks.
March 7, 2006 8:04:59 PM

rofl.. i appologized i think, if not. im very sorry for posting that. :lol: 
!