How get XP to open a tar.gz file

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I got a file containing the text of a book, It is called "james.tar.gz".

How do i open it in XP? I have tried Winzip (which says it migt be able to
do it) and I have tries Power Archiver (which others thing can do it).

But I can't get the tar.gz file to open. How can I do that in XP?
5 answers Last reply
More about open file
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    XP has no built in support for gzip or tar files. There are a number of
    free programs that can handle these. I occasionally use 7-Zip which you can
    download from http://www.7-zip.org/

    Note that first you will un(g)zip the file (gzip is a compression format
    widely used on Unix), and then you untar the resulting file (tar bundles
    files into an one archive, and is also most widely used on Unix systems)
    --

    "Raster" <rastyer@mail.com> wrote in message
    >I got a file containing the text of a book, It is called "james.tar.gz".
    >
    > How do i open it in XP? I have tried Winzip (which says it migt be able
    > do it) and I have tries Power Archiver (which others thing can do it).
    >
    > But I can't get the tar.gz file to open. How can I do that in XP?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    With an application that reads whatever kind of file a xxxxx.tar.gz is.

    "Raster" <rastyer@mail.com> wrote in message
    > I got a file containing the text of a book, It is called "james.tar.gz".
    >
    > How do i open it in XP? I have tried Winzip (which says it migt be able
    > do it) and I have tries Power Archiver (which others thing can do it).
    >
    > But I can't get the tar.gz file to open. How can I do that in XP?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Winzip can read and open these types of files.

    "Raster" <rastyer@mail.com> wrote in message
    >I got a file containing the text of a book, It is called "james.tar.gz".
    >
    > How do i open it in XP? I have tried Winzip (which says it migt be able
    > do it) and I have tries Power Archiver (which others thing can do it).
    >
    > But I can't get the tar.gz file to open. How can I do that in XP?

    that will handle the tar extension

    Try IZARC, it will handle just about all compressed file
    types and is free. Works great.
    http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/izarc.htm

    "tonyfair" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:3bb201c48f9c$96f36460$a301280a@phx.gbl...