Software to test a PSU

richard_uk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Basically I've always hated spending lots on PSUs. The one I plan to run with a 3200+ Venice is a 550w Unit that cost about £30.

It would be much appreciated if anyone could tell me how to "test" how stable and good this psu is. I mean, how close should the voltages be? Is there any software that can help or am I stuck with BIOS figures? Any help would be much appreciated.

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Some (read: medium/higher end) Mother Boards come with hardware/software that allows you to log your voltages in windows. But you have to have the right MB first.

rantonrave

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
The voltage sensing hardware built into the motherboard is not very accurate and can't be trusted without first caibrating it and the software that reads it against an accurate meter, over the full range of temperatures the computer operates at. There are meters that will allow their measurements to be logged to the computer or that can remember the highest and lowest measurements taken over a time period. The official tolerance for the positive voltages is +- 5%, but supplies should usually stay within +- 3%.