Would you.........

otisflick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
LCD question:

Let's say you are an all-around user, (gamer/graphics/photos/text) would you sacrifice looks over performance? Or the other way around? In a 19" LCD monitor?

Reply with "a" or "b":

A: 1000:1 Contrast ratio | 20ms response time

or

B: 700:1 Contrast ratio | 8ms response time

Careful, this will make your brain hurt if you think about this too much. :?

-oTis-

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I would choose faster responce over quality. You can't really tell the difference of quality during gaming anyway. Movie wise is a different story. Most LCD now are 12ms with are pretty good and acceptable for gaming. Im lucky I got 1000:1 12ms monitor. :D

DragonDoc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
cool. What monitor did you get? Model number please.

-C-

Here is a nice 19" LCD with 4ms ($360ish)

"The Acer AL1951C fully integrates all the latest technologies for action-packed gaming and media activities. Gamers and movie lovers will appreciate the excellent contrast ratio of 700:1 and wide viewing angle of 135° intelligently reproduces ultra crisp and detailed images from broad side viewing angles. The fast response rate of 4ms combined with the digital interface delivers vibrant and action-packed video. The slim and compact design liberates the workplace transforming the computing area into a modern work or entertainment area.

Display Panel: 19" color active matrix LCD (TFT)
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 Native
Contrast Ratio: 700:1
Brightness (Typical): 400 cd/m2
Viewing Angle (H/V): 150/135
Cabinet Color: Silver/Black
:arrow: Video Inputs: DVI, 15 pin D-Sub
Environments: PC and Mac compatible
:arrow: Warranty: Three Year Covering Parts and Labor, including Backlight"

Very nice LCD :wink:

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Here is a nice 19" LCD with 4ms ($360ish)

"The Acer AL1951C fully integrates all the latest technologies for action-packed gaming and media activities. Gamers and movie lovers will appreciate the excellent contrast ratio of 700:1 and wide viewing angle of 135° intelligently reproduces ultra crisp and detailed images from broad side viewing angles. The fast response rate of 4ms combined with the digital interface delivers vibrant and action-packed video. The slim and compact design liberates the workplace transforming the computing area into a modern work or entertainment area.

Anyone out there use an Acer LCD display? I've got a Travelmate 4200 laptop and my biggest beef with it is that the monitor is flaky and has to be adjusted often. As soon as I get time, I plan to do some digging and maybe look for new drivers. No luck last time I searched.

otisflick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Hey Flyguy,

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Samsung_SyncMaster_940B_Silver_19_LCD_Monitor,__11139527/sort_type=bottomline

315.82 out the door on that link. Chances are I will go with that one, but damn, two things keep creeping back in to my mind.....

1000:1 sure would be nice AND a reflective/glossy screen sure does look nice, but damn, I don't like the idea of staring at myself all day.

How about you peoples out there with the "gloss" screens, are you happy with them? (in the DAY and NIGHT?)

-C-

DragonDoc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Acer_AL1951C_Silver_Black_19_LCD_Monitor,__17003444/sort_type=price

I can get the for 328.16 shipped......and you are right, it is a nice monitor except for one large problem.....

IT'S AN ACER! Acer is lower end quality isn't it. I'm thinking more in the line of Samsun/Sony/Viewsonic.

Thanks though.

-C-

No problem your choice.
:arrow: Warranty: Three Year Covering Parts and Labor, including Backlight" :wink:

otisflick

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Oh sh!t, I overlooked that, hmmmm, you are right Dragon. Does it hurt being right all the time? 8)

Sooooo tempting. So it comes dow to the Acer or the Samsung....opinions anyone?

-C-

DragonDoc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Oh sh!t, I overlooked that, hmmmm, you are right Dragon. Does it hurt being right all the time? 8)

Sooooo tempting. So it comes dow to the Acer or the Samsung....opinions anyone?

-C-

:arrow: Acer: Currently have 52 (AL1832D, AL1951C) in service for 18 months no failures.

:arrow: Samsung: Good quality monitors. Same warranty as the Acer. Most OEM monitors use samsung screens.

Your call :wink:

DragonDoc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Anyone out there use an Acer LCD display? I've got a Travelmate 4200 laptop and my biggest beef with it is that the monitor is flaky and has to be adjusted often. As soon as I get time, I plan to do some digging and maybe look for new drivers. No luck last time I searched

How old is the laptop - One year warranty. It could just be a loose connection. I have repaired many by just reseating connections, screws etc. If you don't feel confortable checking then take it in and have it looked at. You might actually like it after that. :wink:

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Anyone out there use an Acer LCD display? I've got a Travelmate 4200 laptop and my biggest beef with it is that the monitor is flaky and has to be adjusted often. As soon as I get time, I plan to do some digging and maybe look for new drivers. No luck last time I searched

How old is the laptop - One year warranty. It could just be a loose connection. I have repaired many by just reseating connections, screws etc. If you don't feel confortable checking then take it in and have it looked at. You might actually like it after that. :wink:

Thanks for the advice. I did check connections and they seem fine. It's still under warranty. I bought it just before this biz trip, which is 5 weeks long. When I get back to the US, I plan to take it in to CompUSA to see that they think. Actually, this was a bargain for what I got so as long as this can be resolved, I'll be very happy. It has the Centrino Duo and it does multitask very well. I tried last night to get it to hang up while doing R/W on top of audio, digital image and video editing, but it cruised. When I first heard of Acer computers, I read some lousy reviews but they have been improving. I have not read many Acer monitor reviews but I can't remember any that were glowing. So far, I'll give this laptop at least 3.5 stars out of 5. Fast, stable laptops, what's this world coming to?

jallinder

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I would chose neither............New LCD monitors are coming out in the next couple of months that are finally on par with CRT monitors: high contrast ratio, high refresh rate, etc............all around great looking screens. If you buy now, you will be sorry you did not wait.

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
I'm very pleased with my Samsung. I only have two minor gripes:

1. It took a lot of adjustment to get it pretty. Definitely not plug and play, the default brightness is 100% @ sunbeam death ray level.

2. The backlight bleeds a little. On a pure black screen to can see the backlight around the edges. Not horrible or annoying, just noticeable.

Other than that it has great colors and luminence. Games look superb, don't notice any ghosting. Text is spot on.

zyzplasmaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
B definitely.
i got a dell 2005fpw, 20.1" widescreen, only $400 or under when on sale (i got it when it was 500 though :() , excellent response time for a 20" and 600 contrast ratio.
if i have a choice, i would get the 24" widescreen....