Sign in with
Your question

Newbie first build Fx-60?

Last response: in CPUs
March 6, 2006 11:34:26 PM

I am building my first machine. I have religiously read everything i can get my hands on.
Fx-60
Asus 3200
Asus or Ati 1900xt
HDD WD 150 w/16mb
this was the base platform i wanted to start with
Can you unlock the multiplier on opteron?
i wasnt ocing right away but plan to in the future.
is a tsunami from Thermaltake a decent case?
PSU for Cross fire and future Ocing?
Ram Ocz Mushken? Around $200

More about : newbie build

March 6, 2006 11:45:14 PM

does the Epox support the crossfire at x16 x16 i was trying to start with something that would be relevant for a while. which is the better chip in the long run.
March 6, 2006 11:48:52 PM

I would wait if ur gonna spend massive money

7900Gt's are comin out REAL soon and then maybe u will want to get an SLi mobo
Related resources
March 6, 2006 11:52:19 PM

where can i find specs on the 7900. i havent seen anything except speculation. i need!!! this system built by the 21st big morrowind fan currently i have a P4 3.06 I want to see it all
March 6, 2006 11:52:27 PM

March 6, 2006 11:59:29 PM

As for your case the Tsunami is good just like the Armor and Kandalf. All of it have plenty of space and vents.

Nice cpu man, as for me Im only able to afford the 4400.

Good Luck!!!
March 7, 2006 12:15:26 AM

My last few computers have been gateways trying to do it myself i would probably go with a cheaper chip if i didnt think i would want to upgrade in 6 months hopefully this will work for 2 more years
March 7, 2006 12:19:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

are you double posting the same thing or trying to get your point across..?.......hehe
March 7, 2006 1:02:40 AM

no it game me a SQL Database error the first time didn tthink i got posted so i hit back and hit submit in a few mins

hey dude wait til the 9th nvidia will release the 7900GT at CeBIT
March 7, 2006 1:06:20 AM

i want to add if u dont wanna upgrade anytime soon waiting for socket AM2 and intels new chips may be worth it

cuz when u buy ur FX-60 in 6 months something bewer with a diff socket will come out
March 7, 2006 1:09:41 AM

Quote:

I don't perticularly favor nVidia, but news of a new High-end card coming out for them is a reason to wait for a build, considering they don't make too bad of cards.
March 7, 2006 1:12:30 AM

as long as i can still order and build before the 21st. i am starting with only one card and hope to fill the second one within a few months. i would prefer to go with the nvidia just because i keep seeing things like the total package(exerp from one of the articles here) i currently have a 5200 and even though i constantly see bad things writen i havent had any trouble with it. the system i have now is a 3.06 P4 wd 250 with only 512 m of ram its done quite well up till now but with the new games i want to turn on all the bells and whistles.
March 7, 2006 1:18:44 AM

Quote:
as long as i can still order and build before the 21st. i am starting with only one card and hope to fill the second one within a few months. i would prefer to go with the nvidia just because i keep seeing things like the total package(exerp from one of the articles here) i currently have a 5200 and even though i constantly see bad things writen i havent had any trouble with it. the system i have now is a 3.06 P4 wd 250 with only 512 m of ram its done quite well up till now but with the new games i want to turn on all the bells and whistles.
I don't have anything against nV, just for the longest time I ve had good experiences with ATi, so like many others Im afraid of change, but have no problem recommending their cards to others, since their dual card division is more established than ATi's Crossfire. And considering for the most part nV's midrange cards do better than ATi's, they seem a more viable option for the Average Joe.
March 7, 2006 1:34:29 AM

wit til march 9th if u like th e7900GT/GTX get that if not order ur X1900XT/XTX
March 7, 2006 1:52:06 AM

Quote:
I don't have anything against nV, just for the longest time I ve had good experiences with ATi, so like many others Im afraid of change, but have no problem recommending their cards to others, since their dual card division is more established than ATi's Crossfire. And considering for the most part nV's midrange cards do better than ATi's, they seem a more viable option for the Average Joe.

for a while I was an Nvidia fan boy ...would only buy their video cards.......then the 9800pro came out and was like hmm..is nvidia that great? Then there was the fiasco with the 5 series...what a joke....Nvidia got pwned by ATI no doubt about it. And for the longest time I was with ATI and was quite happy.....all of a sudden Nvidia comes out with the 6800 and its a beast.....ATI answers with the x800 xt PE and here is where the trouble starts for me.....ATI totally screwed the pooch with that release....sure it was fast blah blah blah.......but was never availble only the x800pro which was just as expensive as the 6800gt which owned it. My point is now I will go with what is best and better yet is availble.....and I reiterate AVAILIBLE.....for too long have Nvidia and more so ATI done the paper launch only to find that the parts they are pimpin have never really materialized.....well I will stop ranting.....lol
March 7, 2006 2:04:09 AM

for a while I was an Nvidia fan boy ...would only buy their video cards.......then the 9800pro came out and was like hmm..is nvidia that great? Then there was the fiasco with the 5 series...what a joke....Nvidia got pwned by ATI no doubt about it. And for the longest time I was with ATI and was quite happy.....all of a sudden Nvidia comes out with the 6800 and its a beast.....ATI answers with the x800 xt PE and here is where the trouble starts for me.....ATI totally screwed the pooch with that release....sure it was fast blah blah blah.......but was never availble only the x800pro which was just as expensive as the 6800gt which owned it. My point is now I will go with what is best and better yet is availble.....and I reiterate AVAILIBLE.....for too long have Nvidia and more so ATI done the paper launch only to find that the parts they are pimpin have never really materialized.....well I will stop ranting.....lol[/quote] If Im not mistaken, nVidia is quite a bit larger than ATi, and thus more reources established with reputable sources. Many high end gaming sites like voodoocomputers.com and the all-powerful Alienware( :roll: ) are way biased to nV when in truth both companies have their ups and downs. I suspect that ATi's rule of the super high end will abruptly end with the 7900. But seemingly the VGA manufacturers have been real pissy with ech other releasing new super highenders every month. Those unlucky few in Europe have just gotten ahold of the 1800 series, and then they hear about the 1900? Oh they got pissed. Especially after they just slammed 500 bucks on a 1800XT or something, I'd be pissed too, hell yeah.
March 7, 2006 2:08:31 AM

so since the 1900 is here go for it?
March 7, 2006 2:16:01 AM

Quote:
so since the 1900 is here go for it?
If you want ATi, yes. It sounds like you want to Crossfire, so the XTX is the "master card" capable of enabling X-FIRE(I believe, correct me if Im wrong, for the sake of his wallet) and is of course the most expensive. All we can do is provide a light to brighten the way, but unfortunately cannot follow(its up to you for the final buy).
March 7, 2006 2:16:09 AM

dude wait a bit for m2 dont get the fx-60
March 7, 2006 2:17:07 AM

Quote:
Listen to the man.
March 7, 2006 2:21:33 AM

i need a capable system by the 21st of this month the m2 wont show until at least june besides in december ill feel the need to upgrade and man wont this be a system to oc the hell out of?
March 7, 2006 2:24:53 AM

Quote:
Listen to the man. thx caboose you an amd fanboy right man?
March 7, 2006 2:30:24 AM

Quote:
i need a capable system by the 21st of this month the m2 wont show until at least june besides in december ill feel the need to upgrade and man wont this be a system to oc the hell out of?
Indeed it will. Though considering as hot as the 1900 runs you may want to grab an aftermarket cooler or even consider liquid/phase change cooling for all problem components, mainly CPU, GPU but can include HD, MEM and other things if your extremely hardcore. But I see no need to do that if you don't plan on doing high OCing on the GPU if you have obtained a well ventilated case. Considering you need a capable system by March 21st (don't tell why, its your business) , you may want to order these components soon from the likes of newegg.com so you can be ahead of schedule.
March 7, 2006 2:31:54 AM

june is not an option i am a true gen xer i want what i want now i can always upgrade to an m2 later this year i indeed need something to run oblivion with as much of the graphics on as possible.
March 7, 2006 2:35:02 AM

Quote:
june is not an option i am a true gen xer i want what i want now i can always upgrade to an m2 later this year i indeed need something to run oblivion with as much of the graphics on as possible.
budget?
March 7, 2006 2:44:34 AM

well im looking at around 22-2400 to get started and i am planing about 1-2000 more in the next 6-months i have had my current P4 3.06 for about 2 yrs its gateway proprietary with agp fx5200 so its time to replace it only this time i want something i can continue to upgrade after this hardware i wont at least a second raptor and video card along with a phase change cooler i hoping ocz will get off their arse and intro their phase change cooler pretty soon if for no other reason than to hammer at frozens prices.
March 7, 2006 2:57:19 AM

"Fx-60
Asus 3200
Asus or Ati 1900xt
HDD WD 150 w/16mb
this was the base platform i wanted to start with
Can you unlock the multiplier on opteron?
i wasnt ocing right away but plan to in the future.
is a tsunami from Thermaltake a decent case?
PSU for Cross fire and future Ocing?
Ram Ocz Mushken? Around $200"

PSU: Antec is great, but you'll need some hefty stable shit for your setup. I recommend a 550+ watter from a reputable company like Antec, ThermalTake or some other Highly acclaimed like a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

CPU: You go along and get that FX-60, it'll serve your needs and it'll OC fine

GFX: If you want to crossfire, get a 1900XTX and a 1900XT if not, get a 1900XT and OC it to above and beyond XTX speeds, cheaper that way

Mobo: Something from Asus, they are pretty darn good, SLi, of course

CPU heatsink: The stock one should do fine if well ventilated. But since you are gonna OC, consider after market

Case: Thats a good case. Its gorgeous too.

Ram: OCZ and Corsair are good. Id get www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210

anything else? That'll about blow your budget.
March 7, 2006 3:08:04 AM

thanks for the tip on mem thats kinda what i was looking for mad mod mike i think talked me into a opteron 180 unless you know something different? I was actually looking at the thermaltake 680 or the silverstone zeus 650w what about the 1900xt or xtx for crossfire i was under the impression the slave card could be an xt and you can oc it to match the master xtx
March 7, 2006 3:10:51 AM

Yeah, it might be good to wait for the 7900 to come out, then the price on the x1900xt might drop a lil more, but at 449 its a steal right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

sounds like u have alot deeper pockets than me. If it was up to me i would get somthin that u could over clock, and easily , to get even past the fx speed. Like maybe an opty and the new ati mainboard for dual cards, the asua A8R32-MVP Deluxe.

can oc 10% easy on stock air. though i would get a nice cooler.
and some good ozc or corsair mem. 2x1024

Man, my wife just dosnt know what i have to give up to be married. :cry: 
March 7, 2006 3:12:55 AM

If im not mistaken, the XTX is the master, and XT the slave, and of course you can OC. You said the deadline was March 21st? Its up to you which processor to get, they are both good. But you know the FX-60 is proven good, and we don't know about the 180. Im sure it'll be good, just speculating. Oh and Im glad you want to get into phase changing, great way to cool, but I don't know haw to set it up, couldn't be too complicated though...
March 7, 2006 3:15:22 AM

Don't buy a whole new computer just for Oblivion man, maybe you should just buy an ok graphics card for cheap. Oblivion isn't a game that requires an awesome computer, and not having the eye candy doesn't take anything away from the gameplay.
March 7, 2006 3:22:57 AM

well im a mechanical engineer by trade so if it takes to much longer(ocz phase change) i have a few freinds interested in building our own dont know what the regs are on R 507 but that seems to be the choice now. i have been reading every scrap of literature i can to get me to this point i still have reservations about the mvp 3200 from asus but theyre the only ones rated for x16 x16 for ati
March 7, 2006 3:25:56 AM

First off, how much are you planning to overclock? Secondly, do you really need to pay 1 grand for a CPU? The x2 4800 is a much more feasible buy and overclocks fairly decent.
Also, you may want to consider a 955EE. I hate to push intel in an AMD world, but it is an excellent chip. It is, without a doubt certainly the best thing to come out of intel in a long time. That being said, the FX60 is a horrible overclocker and the 955EE oc's like a bat out of hell.
The X1900XT is a steal at 450, but if you are willing to spend a freaking grand on CPU, why not spend another 200 on GPU? Games are not CPU bound at all-you just need a CPU that can keep up these days.
What kind of RAM and how much are you going to get?
Don't listen to anybody that says "new technology is just around the corner", this is utter bullcrap. The more you wait, the more prices stay the same. Unless you want to sit until June and don't mind another 2 months for AM2/7900, get what is latest and greatest now.
March 7, 2006 3:28:21 AM

every 2 years or so i buy a new system cadd software is a hungry little monster but im a huge fan of morrowind and hearing this will only be better only sweetens the pot. i cant upgrade what i have now to anything i would deem resonable gateway saw to that with the proprietary mother board just sufficient power supply and agp graphics why buy middle of the road to build a platform for the next 2 years if i get ahead now it wont look so bad latter
March 7, 2006 3:31:18 AM

CAD work eh? Which is more important to you: gaming or work? FX60 is a little better in gaming and wins some multitasking benchies, but the quad threaded 955EE is freaking incredible at some of that stuff.
March 7, 2006 3:33:07 AM

i hear ya on the waiting part and i think ive been talked down to an opteron 180 no matter what i pay now i told myself i would wait atleast a couple of months before investing any more prices will fall and new tech will arrive so its one gpu one hard drive and 2 gigs of ocz
March 7, 2006 3:37:59 AM

Prices take forever to drop. Take my word for it-I thought 6800gt's would go down with the release of 7800 and X1800...I was wrong =/
March 7, 2006 3:39:31 AM

Some guys in this forums are really lucky to buy such a wonderful rig with an FX-60 processor on it. There's no other processor in the world that can beat this chip, and I mean none.

Good luck with your build pal. Whenever you'e tired of it, there's someone like me that would love to have such a system. :lol: 
Or maybe you can buy one for me also. :wink:
March 7, 2006 3:43:03 AM

i would have to say if its a choice between work and gaming im on my computer at 12:41 at night knowing i have to be to work tomorrow er this morning trying to hash out the last of the indicisions and gleam just a touch of wisdom before i sink down roughly 2500 dollars on a system for the house which i infrequently use for work the computer i have at the office would be better replaced with system i am replacing i just like to know when i need it at the house i dont have to hesitate
March 7, 2006 3:43:54 AM

Quote:
Some guys in this forums are really lucky to buy such a wonderful rig with an FX-60 processor on it. There's no other processor in the world that can beat this chip, and I mean none.

Good luck with your build pal. Whenever you'e tired of it, there's someone like me that would love to have such a system. :lol: 
Or maybe you can buy one for me also. :wink:

Read the tomshardware review of it. 955EE gives FX60 a pounding in a lot of things like audio/video and multitasking. Also, it is a far better overclocker than the FX60. At stock however, I would have to agree with you unless you run 4 instances of anything =)
March 7, 2006 3:46:20 AM

Quote:
i would have to say if its a choice between work and gaming im on my computer at 12:41 at night knowing i have to be to work tomorrow er this morning trying to hash out the last of the indicisions and gleam just a touch of wisdom before i sink down roughly 2500 dollars on a system for the house which i infrequently use for work the computer i have at the office would be better replaced with system i am replacing i just like to know when i need it at the house i dont have to hesitate

That was such a massive ramble of words that I don't even know what your answer is.
March 7, 2006 3:54:09 AM

Quote:

There is, the processors of a supercomputers such as The Cray Supercomputer & CM-5 will tread FX60 like shit.
March 7, 2006 3:54:53 AM

okay pin me down the machine is for gaming and apperently the opteron is the chip for ocing this is my first amd my first build and every corner i turn there are three new opinions this is the first time i have been online to chat since BBS and xmodem i was hoping to settle my last remaining doubts i have read every pc publication on the news stand and almost every recent article on toms i have a little less than a week left and ive been going at this since christmas nothin like cramin for a test
March 7, 2006 4:06:54 AM

Quote:

There is, the processors of a supercomputers such as The Cray Supercomputer & CM-5 will tread FX60 like ****.
Actually, supercomputers suck at gaming due to extreme latency. 64 gigabytes of ram and 24 Opteron 880's sounds kinda kinky though x.x
March 7, 2006 4:09:51 AM

Quote:
okay pin me down the machine is for gaming and apperently the opteron is the chip for ocing this is my first amd my first build and every corner i turn there are three new opinions this is the first time i have been online to chat since BBS and xmodem i was hoping to settle my last remaining doubts i have read every pc publication on the news stand and almost every recent article on toms i have a little less than a week left and ive been going at this since christmas nothin like cramin for a test

Opertons are good oc'ers, yes. Make sure you get a 170 and some good ram. Crucial Ballistix 2x1gb will hit 290 fsb x.x
March 7, 2006 4:20:15 AM

they have the 180 out right now and either the mushken or the ocz DDR500 2x1gb
March 7, 2006 4:21:46 AM

Don't get the mushkin, but the newer low-latency DDR500 OCZ is nice. What motherboard?
March 7, 2006 4:22:55 AM

asus 3200 mvp
March 7, 2006 4:23:43 AM

Good. Whatever you do, DONT get a DFI board.
March 7, 2006 4:28:24 AM

asus was the only one willing to support x16 x16 both for crossfire and sli and all ive heard is great things about asus especially for the less experienced
!