Newbie first build Fx-60?

Zephy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I am building my first machine. I have religiously read everything i can get my hands on.
Fx-60
Asus 3200
Asus or Ati 1900xt
HDD WD 150 w/16mb
this was the base platform i wanted to start with
Can you unlock the multiplier on opteron?
i wasnt ocing right away but plan to in the future.
is a tsunami from Thermaltake a decent case?
PSU for Cross fire and future Ocing?
Ram Ocz Mushken? Around $200

Zephy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
does the Epox support the crossfire at x16 x16 i was trying to start with something that would be relevant for a while. which is the better chip in the long run.

Zephy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
where can i find specs on the 7900. i havent seen anything except speculation. i need!!! this system built by the 21st big morrowind fan currently i have a P4 3.06 I want to see it all

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
As for your case the Tsunami is good just like the Armor and Kandalf. All of it have plenty of space and vents.

Nice cpu man, as for me Im only able to afford the 4400.

Good Luck!!!

Zephy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
My last few computers have been gateways trying to do it myself i would probably go with a cheaper chip if i didnt think i would want to upgrade in 6 months hopefully this will work for 2 more years

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I would wait if ur gonna spend massive money

7900Gt's are comin out REAL soon and then maybe u will want to get an SLi mobo

are you double posting the same thing or trying to get your point across..?.......hehe

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
no it game me a SQL Database error the first time didn tthink i got posted so i hit back and hit submit in a few mins

hey dude wait til the 9th nvidia will release the 7900GT at CeBIT

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
i want to add if u dont wanna upgrade anytime soon waiting for socket AM2 and intels new chips may be worth it

cuz when u buy ur FX-60 in 6 months something bewer with a diff socket will come out

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006

I don't perticularly favor nVidia, but news of a new High-end card coming out for them is a reason to wait for a build, considering they don't make too bad of cards.

Zephy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
as long as i can still order and build before the 21st. i am starting with only one card and hope to fill the second one within a few months. i would prefer to go with the nvidia just because i keep seeing things like the total package(exerp from one of the articles here) i currently have a 5200 and even though i constantly see bad things writen i havent had any trouble with it. the system i have now is a 3.06 P4 wd 250 with only 512 m of ram its done quite well up till now but with the new games i want to turn on all the bells and whistles.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
as long as i can still order and build before the 21st. i am starting with only one card and hope to fill the second one within a few months. i would prefer to go with the nvidia just because i keep seeing things like the total package(exerp from one of the articles here) i currently have a 5200 and even though i constantly see bad things writen i havent had any trouble with it. the system i have now is a 3.06 P4 wd 250 with only 512 m of ram its done quite well up till now but with the new games i want to turn on all the bells and whistles.
I don't have anything against nV, just for the longest time I ve had good experiences with ATi, so like many others Im afraid of change, but have no problem recommending their cards to others, since their dual card division is more established than ATi's Crossfire. And considering for the most part nV's midrange cards do better than ATi's, they seem a more viable option for the Average Joe.

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I don't have anything against nV, just for the longest time I ve had good experiences with ATi, so like many others Im afraid of change, but have no problem recommending their cards to others, since their dual card division is more established than ATi's Crossfire. And considering for the most part nV's midrange cards do better than ATi's, they seem a more viable option for the Average Joe.

for a while I was an Nvidia fan boy ...would only buy their video cards.......then the 9800pro came out and was like hmm..is nvidia that great? Then there was the fiasco with the 5 series...what a joke....Nvidia got pwned by ATI no doubt about it. And for the longest time I was with ATI and was quite happy.....all of a sudden Nvidia comes out with the 6800 and its a beast.....ATI answers with the x800 xt PE and here is where the trouble starts for me.....ATI totally screwed the pooch with that release....sure it was fast blah blah blah.......but was never availble only the x800pro which was just as expensive as the 6800gt which owned it. My point is now I will go with what is best and better yet is availble.....and I reiterate AVAILIBLE.....for too long have Nvidia and more so ATI done the paper launch only to find that the parts they are pimpin have never really materialized.....well I will stop ranting.....lol

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
for a while I was an Nvidia fan boy ...would only buy their video cards.......then the 9800pro came out and was like hmm..is nvidia that great? Then there was the fiasco with the 5 series...what a joke....Nvidia got pwned by ATI no doubt about it. And for the longest time I was with ATI and was quite happy.....all of a sudden Nvidia comes out with the 6800 and its a beast.....ATI answers with the x800 xt PE and here is where the trouble starts for me.....ATI totally screwed the pooch with that release....sure it was fast blah blah blah.......but was never availble only the x800pro which was just as expensive as the 6800gt which owned it. My point is now I will go with what is best and better yet is availble.....and I reiterate AVAILIBLE.....for too long have Nvidia and more so ATI done the paper launch only to find that the parts they are pimpin have never really materialized.....well I will stop ranting.....lol[/quote] If Im not mistaken, nVidia is quite a bit larger than ATi, and thus more reources established with reputable sources. Many high end gaming sites like voodoocomputers.com and the all-powerful Alienware( :roll: ) are way biased to nV when in truth both companies have their ups and downs. I suspect that ATi's rule of the super high end will abruptly end with the 7900. But seemingly the VGA manufacturers have been real pissy with ech other releasing new super highenders every month. Those unlucky few in Europe have just gotten ahold of the 1800 series, and then they hear about the 1900? Oh they got pissed. Especially after they just slammed 500 bucks on a 1800XT or something, I'd be pissed too, hell yeah.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
so since the 1900 is here go for it?
If you want ATi, yes. It sounds like you want to Crossfire, so the XTX is the "master card" capable of enabling X-FIRE(I believe, correct me if Im wrong, for the sake of his wallet) and is of course the most expensive. All we can do is provide a light to brighten the way, but unfortunately cannot follow(its up to you for the final buy).

Zephy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
i need a capable system by the 21st of this month the m2 wont show until at least june besides in december ill feel the need to upgrade and man wont this be a system to oc the hell out of?

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
i need a capable system by the 21st of this month the m2 wont show until at least june besides in december ill feel the need to upgrade and man wont this be a system to oc the hell out of?
Indeed it will. Though considering as hot as the 1900 runs you may want to grab an aftermarket cooler or even consider liquid/phase change cooling for all problem components, mainly CPU, GPU but can include HD, MEM and other things if your extremely hardcore. But I see no need to do that if you don't plan on doing high OCing on the GPU if you have obtained a well ventilated case. Considering you need a capable system by March 21st (don't tell why, its your business) , you may want to order these components soon from the likes of newegg.com so you can be ahead of schedule.

Zephy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
june is not an option i am a true gen xer i want what i want now i can always upgrade to an m2 later this year i indeed need something to run oblivion with as much of the graphics on as possible.