Modifyijng AI Aircraft

Last response: in Video Games
May 23, 2005 2:50:28 AM

Is there way to modify the AIR file of an AI
aircraft to make it flyable? I have a few AI-only
aircraft that I would like to make flyable.

More about : modifyijng aircraft

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:56:40 AM

"Charles Newman" <charlesnewman1@comcast.spammers.go.away.net> wrote in
message news:D radnQs9SNy-8gzfRVn-qA@comcast.com...

> Is there way to modify the AIR file of an AI
> aircraft to make it flyable? I have a few AI-only
> aircraft that I would like to make flyable.

I found out you have to modify the AIR file
directly, but how do you do this. When I try
to open the AIR file in any editor, all I get is a bunch
of jibberish
May 23, 2005 10:16:22 AM

"Charles Newman"
> Is there way to modify the AIR file of an AI
> aircraft to make it flyable? I have a few AI-only
> aircraft that I would like to make flyable.

I was going to say no... but that may not be true now that I think about it.
Our resident guru on the subject seems to be on leave.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, or why... but why not head over to
Avsim.com and just download working versions of those aircraft.

Dallas
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 10:16:23 AM

> "Charles Newman"
> > Is there way to modify the AIR file of an AI
> > aircraft to make it flyable? I have a few AI-only
> > aircraft that I would like to make flyable.
>
> I was going to say no... but that may not be true now that I think about
it.
> Our resident guru on the subject seems to be on leave.
>
> I'm not sure what you are trying to do, or why... but why not head over to
> Avsim.com and just download working versions of those aircraft.
>
> Dallas

Well, I have found out all you need to do is
change one setting in the AIR file, but I cannot
find any programs to do that.
May 23, 2005 10:55:44 AM

"Charles Newman"
> Well, I have found out all you need to do is
> change one setting in the AIR file, but I cannot
> find any programs to do that.

Go to http://www.aircraftmanager.com/ and download Aircraft Airfile Manager.

The value to change is "Aircraft Type" from 2 to 0. I don't guarantee my
work... I've never done it. AI aircraft don't have panels, you'll have to
create a panel folder and alias a panel in a newly created panel.cfg.

Let us know if this works out.

Dallas
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 6:04:51 PM

Hi,

Yes, AirEd will let you edit AIR files.

That said, it's usually easier to find a set of flight dynamics you like
for a given plane and then just swap the AIR file with the original.
It's best to also replace the aircraft.cfg file too, but you need to
save the top section of the original file and copy it in over the
existing section. Same for the Contact Points and the Lights sections.

Hope this helps,

--
Tom Gibson
Cal Classic Propliners www.calclassic.com

Charles wrote:

> Is there way to modify the AIR file of an AI
> aircraft to make it flyable? I have a few AI-only
> aircraft that I would like to make flyable.

Besides making the aircraft show up in the list of selectable aircraft,
which is what the majority of the posters here are recommending, there
is also the fact that most (if not all??) AI aircraft do not have an
instrument panel. Now, certainly the basic keystroke commands or
yoke/joystick inputs will still work to get these birds in the air, but
it seems to me that you are looking to simulate controlling these
aircraft; something more enjoyable when there is a panel there, no?
:-)

When you state that you have only a few AI-only aircraft, are you
referring to the default AI-aircraft included in the sim (Dash-8, MD80,
and Piper)? If so, go to Avsim.com or Flightsim.com and search for
"AI aircraft and Flyable." There are many free downloads that make
these MS-default aircraft flyable and more robust by including the
proper information to equip the aircraft with an instrument panel.

--
Peter
Anonymous

Charles Newman wrote:
-SNIP-
> Well, I have found out all you need to do is
> change one setting in the AIR file, but I cannot
> find any programs to do that.

There is a program called "AirEd" that will let you
modify the .air files. I'm not sure what the most
recent version is but a library search at Avsim should
turn it up.

Paul
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 10:28:42 PM

Hi Dallas,

<Snippety Snip>

" I don't guarantee my > work... I've never done it. "

Now you've got me thinking: Davey Crockett at The Alamo - "Trust me,
mate, she'll be allright on the night"

Regards,
John Ward

> "Charles Newman"
>> Well, I have found out all you need to do is
>> change one setting in the AIR file, but I cannot
>> find any programs to do that.
>
> Go to http://www.aircraftmanager.com/ and download Aircraft Airfile
> Manager.
>
> The value to change is "Aircraft Type" from 2 to 0. I don't guarantee my
> work... I've never done it. AI aircraft don't have panels, you'll have to
> create a panel folder and alias a panel in a newly created panel.cfg.
>

> Let us know if this works out.
>
> Dallas

May 24, 2005 1:05:18 AM

"John Ward"
> Now you've got me thinking: Davey Crockett at The Alamo - "Trust me,
> mate, she'll be allright on the night"

That was John Wayne that said that.

<g>

Dallas
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 2:00:22 PM

Hi Varmit,

I'll take your word for it, mate - I wasn't there! :-))

Regards,
John Ward

!