SP 2 install failing with odd write error

Hi,

I'm trying to install the network version of SP-2 on a desktop computer
running XP Pro. The installation on other PCs went well with no problems,
though on the current one I get the following error message:

"The file or directory Windows XP-KB835...-ENU.exe is corrupt and
unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

After which I run Chkdsk which finds and corrects several hundred orphaned
files on the drive - all in the temporary directory which the extraction
utility was attempting to use.

When I try the installation again the exact same thing happens. I've tried
moving the SP 2 executable to the PC's hard drive in various ways including
via the network and on a CD. Since it has worked well on other PCs I have to
think there's something wrong in the drive or IDE controller on this PC, but
I don't know how to diagnose it. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Delete the entire contents of the temp folders, disable antivirus, then
retry the installation. No reason you can't run directly from the CD.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Steve Robertson" <SNRobertson@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install the network version of SP-2 on a desktop computer
> running XP Pro. The installation on other PCs went well with no problems,
> though on the current one I get the following error message:
>
> "The file or directory Windows XP-KB835...-ENU.exe is corrupt and
> unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."
>
> After which I run Chkdsk which finds and corrects several hundred orphaned
> files on the drive - all in the temporary directory which the extraction
> utility was attempting to use.
>
> When I try the installation again the exact same thing happens. I've tried
> moving the SP 2 executable to the PC's hard drive in various ways
> including
> via the network and on a CD. Since it has worked well on other PCs I have
> think there's something wrong in the drive or IDE controller on this PC,
> but
> I don't know how to diagnose it. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Steve

Hi Nick,

>>Delete the entire contents of the temp folders, disable antivirus, then
retry the installation. No reason you can't run directly from the CD.<<

I tried running from the CD and the error keeps happening, so it's happening
whether the SP 2 executable is on the hard drive or on a CD.

I have to think there is an IDE controller error or a hard drive error
happening. Is there a way to test for that?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Robertson wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>

>>>Delete the entire contents of the temp folders, disable antivirus, then
>
> retry the installation. No reason you can't run directly from the CD.<<
>
> I tried running from the CD and the error keeps happening, so it's happening
> whether the SP 2 executable is on the hard drive or on a CD.
>
> I have to think there is an IDE controller error or a hard drive error
> happening. Is there a way to test for that?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Go to the HD mfg site. They should have diags that you can run
on the drive.

gls858

gls:

>>Go to the HD mfg site. They should have diags that you can run
on the drive.<<

Yes, thanks, that's a good idea.

Steve