Sign in with
Your question

DATA CENTERS GIVE INTEL STATIC OVER ELECTRIC BILLS

Last response: in CPUs
March 7, 2006 4:14:43 AM

Read the whole thing here:
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1934122,00.asp

Quote:
"The reason Opteron has been successful is that, within the same square footage of a data center, within the same power infrastructure, we've been able to deliver vastly more performance."

AMD will demonstrate a four-processor machine based on its newest dual-core Opterons at IDF.

The new chips, based on a revised design AMD calls Rev F, will touch up AMD's Opteron server platform by offering features such as built-in virtualization and an on-board memory controller that addresses DDR2 (double-data-rate 2) memory.

Access to DDR2 memory modules will afford servers incremental performance gains if companies choose the fastest DDR2 800 modules.

AMD officials said the core chips inside servers using its Opteron Rev F chips will use about 100 watts less than those in Intel Bensley/Dempsey machines

Things are starting to heat up for Intel. :wink:
March 7, 2006 5:02:15 AM

Quote:
Things are starting to heat up for Intel.

I would think that things are already quite hor for Intel, and the whole point of Merom and family is to cool things down and put the pressure on AMD.

In any case, the Opterons will remain more power-efficient than Dempsey as mentioned in the article even with 65nm. It should be noted though that if Dempsey uses the same C1 stepping as the Preslers that will be released in April, the difference probably won't be as big as it appears right now. It's too bad you cut the quote and didn't include Intel's response. With Woodcrest, it's doubtful AMD will have much of an advantage anymore. You can point to the OMC still providing power benefits, but with Intel chipset production switching from 130nm to 90nm the entire northbridge including the memory controller will see power savings. It's still unclear at this time what type of mobile power savings technologies from the mobile chipsets will also be carried over with the family which will lead to further power savings not just with the CPU.

Quote:
AMD will demonstrate a four-processor machine based on its newest dual-core Opterons at IDF.

On a side note, I think they meant Cebit. I doubt AMD has a booth at the Intel Developer Forum, although I'd bet it would have made for a lively time. Intel of course already demonstrated their quad core solution weeks ago. We're still not sure if it's a "true" quad core solution to stand up to AMD's marketing attacks yet though.

One way or another, based on the new THG interview with AMD's CEO it looks like server and the corporate market are AMD's focus now to the detriment of the FX-series.
March 7, 2006 8:36:00 AM

No, he ment IDF. Amd has a hotel booked, just down the street. They do it every year. Nobody goes to IDF without going there as well.
Do you really believe your spin on Hector's little talk?
Do you really believe that Amd is so small that they cant focus on one area without falling down on others?
I think that Hector wants to be able to ramp production, so he has a stockpile, and can meet increased demand. I also think he wants to be able to do joint publisity with Lenova, and HP.
I think he wants to get into the boardrooms of the world. With all the great press Amd is getting, I think they can do those things, and still come out with a new FX every few months.
Ah, the power of marketshare.
March 7, 2006 2:44:57 PM

Quote:
One way or another, based on the new THG interview with AMD's CEO it looks like server and the corporate market are AMD's focus now to the detriment of the FX-series

Maybe, what Hector was trying to say is that OEMs will be first than anyone else in the market. According to AMD's roadmap, I still see the FX processor for the enthusiast market. It won't make sense for AMD to cut-off the FX since it's a profitable CPU for them. OEMs like Alienware, Falcon Northwest, Voodoo and HP offer this chip in their high-end gaming PCs. :wink:
!