Sign in with
Your question

FORTUNE Magazine - AMD Ranks In Top 10 - Most Innovative

Last response: in CPUs
March 7, 2006 6:04:10 AM

AMD has been a driving force behind innovation and advancement in the semiconductor industry, turning technology into concrete benefits for our customers and their end-users. We are passionate about connecting with our customers, understanding their needs and bringing them the most innovative products and solutions in the market to help them meet their goals.

AMD is honored that FORTUNE magazine ranked AMD as a TOP 10 Most Admired Company for Innovation as well as the NUMBER ONE Most Admired Company in the semiconductor industry for both Innovation and Quality of Products/Services this year.

Through innovative products and innovation leadership, AMD is empowering people — our customers, our employees and our fellow citizens — to break free and take advantage of next-generation computing features today.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 2

I figured this might tick off some Intel Fanboys and raise the score.

FUGGER: 6
sepheronx: 2
CompGeek: 2
Ycon: 0
Apache_Lives: 4
ak47is1337: 3

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 7, 2006 7:08:49 AM

With all the good news for Amd, kinda makes you feel sorry for Intel...
just kidding.
On the other hand, all good things must come to an end, and Intel was a good thing once.
March 7, 2006 8:00:34 AM

How much Fab has AMD got behind them? Their old 200mm facility and the new fab 36 running @ 100% on 90nm right now correct? Are they still outsourcing to IBM as well because I could see now how their marketshare is going up based completely on how many chips they can make and since capacity has gone up so much with fab36, their marketshare has gone up by an equally impressive amount so quickly.
March 7, 2006 8:14:46 AM

They dont have an outsourcing contract with IBM. They do have one, with one of the big graphics chip makers, like TSMC, but have never used it. I think it's more "in case" than a regular production output.
One of the VPs at Amd said that production would continue to grow through 07.
They do have a plan to ramp the old plant to 300mm wafer, and 65 nanos, if they need to. That would give a total capacity of just over half of today's market.
March 7, 2006 8:27:18 AM

Quote:
They dont have an outsourcing contract with IBM. They do have one, with one of the big graphics chip makers, like TSMC, but have never used it. I think it's more "in case" than a regular production output.
One of the VPs at Amd said that production would continue to grow through 07.
They do have a plan to ramp the old plant to 300mm wafer, and 65 nanos, if they need to. That would give a total capacity of just over half of today's market.

And with another fab or 2 in the next 10 years 50by15 might become a reality with some good cpu's and I think with their well plotted plan of removing major bottlenecksfrom the cpu 1 by 1. All of their features on chip will really help them scale with 4 cores + in the future.
March 7, 2006 12:58:59 PM

GO AMD! :twisted:
March 7, 2006 1:49:40 PM

As long as they can keep it up! Intel isn't just resting on their laurels so I hope AMD have some goodies instore for '07 as well. '04 and '05 were great years for AMD and I predict '06 is just going to be a ho hum for both camps.

AMD to DDR2 and Intel to 65nm won't give much performance I think, just a pathway to the future.
!