Brother MFC-3220C Scan not working

My father-in-law purchased a Brother MFC-3220C printer / scanner / fax
and has been generally pleased with it. However, the Scan function
doesn't work. When you follow the instructions (which are almost
non-existent in the manual) it does nothing and provides no error
messages.

I put a page in the feeder, press Scan and select "scan to image". It
then says i'ts communicating with PC and then nothing happens. After
about a minute, the Fax light goes on and the machine is back in it's
default mode. The FAQs and support documents are pretty lean and
nothing addresses this.

He is using a Win98 Aptiva and we're connected to the printer via the
USB port. I thought maybe there was a Twain conflict but I'm not sure
where to look for that. It would be nice to find an error message
somewhere.

If anyone could help, it would be most appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about brother 3220c scan working

    radioman@alink.com wrote:
    > I put a page in the feeder, press Scan and select "scan to image".
    It
    > then says i'ts communicating with PC and then nothing happens. After
    > about a minute, the Fax light goes on and the machine is back in it's
    > default mode.

    My daughter uses a Brother MFC-3820CN, and if she starts a scan from
    the MFC using either "Scan to Image" or "Scan to File", the Brother
    PC-FAX application is invoked (running Windows XP Home and took all the
    defaults when installing the Brother MFL-Pro Suite software). The
    approach that works for her is to start some program with a scan
    function (ScanSoft PaperPort, for example, came with the Brother
    software package) and preview/scan from there. This is covered briefly
    on page 2-11 (page 2-3 for Windows 98) of the Software User's Guide for
    the MFCs 3220C, 3420C, 3320CN and 3820CN, so I suspect that the same
    approach will work for your father-in-law. If you've lost your CD-ROM
    that has the PDF file for the Software User's Guide, you can download a
    copy of the PDF file from the Brother web site (5.4MB).

    Rick Ekblaw

    RickE wrote:

    > My daughter uses a Brother MFC-3820CN, and if she starts a scan from
    > the MFC using either "Scan to Image" or "Scan to File", the Brother
    > PC-FAX application is invoked (running Windows XP Home and took all
    the
    > defaults when installing the Brother MFL-Pro Suite software). The
    > approach that works for her is to start some program with a scan
    > function (ScanSoft PaperPort, for example, came with the Brother
    > software package) and preview/scan from there. This is covered
    briefly
    > on page 2-11 (page 2-3 for Windows 98) of the Software User's Guide
    for
    > the MFCs 3220C, 3420C, 3320CN and 3820CN, so I suspect that the same
    > approach will work for your father-in-law. If you've lost your
    CD-ROM
    > that has the PDF file for the Software User's Guide, you can download
    > copy of the PDF file from the Brother web site (5.4MB).
    >
    > Rick Ekblaw

    Rick,

    I've tried doing it from the application also. Nothing happens. The
    program just sits there with no error message. I'm just not sure
    what's going on.

Printers Brother Peripherals