Brother MFC-3220C Scan not working

RadioMan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2002

My father-in-law purchased a Brother MFC-3220C printer / scanner / fax
and has been generally pleased with it. However, the Scan function
doesn't work. When you follow the instructions (which are almost
non-existent in the manual) it does nothing and provides no error
messages.

I put a page in the feeder, press Scan and select "scan to image". It
then says i'ts communicating with PC and then nothing happens. After
about a minute, the Fax light goes on and the machine is back in it's
default mode. The FAQs and support documents are pretty lean and
nothing addresses this.

He is using a Win98 Aptiva and we're connected to the printer via the
USB port. I thought maybe there was a Twain conflict but I'm not sure
where to look for that. It would be nice to find an error message
somewhere.

If anyone could help, it would be most appreciated.

radioman@alink.com wrote:
> I put a page in the feeder, press Scan and select "scan to image".
It
> then says i'ts communicating with PC and then nothing happens. After
> about a minute, the Fax light goes on and the machine is back in it's
> default mode.

My daughter uses a Brother MFC-3820CN, and if she starts a scan from
the MFC using either "Scan to Image" or "Scan to File", the Brother
PC-FAX application is invoked (running Windows XP Home and took all the
defaults when installing the Brother MFL-Pro Suite software). The
approach that works for her is to start some program with a scan
function (ScanSoft PaperPort, for example, came with the Brother
software package) and preview/scan from there. This is covered briefly
on page 2-11 (page 2-3 for Windows 98) of the Software User's Guide for
the MFCs 3220C, 3420C, 3320CN and 3820CN, so I suspect that the same
approach will work for your father-in-law. If you've lost your CD-ROM
that has the PDF file for the Software User's Guide, you can download a
copy of the PDF file from the Brother web site (5.4MB).

Rick Ekblaw

RadioMan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2002

RickE wrote:

> My daughter uses a Brother MFC-3820CN, and if she starts a scan from
> the MFC using either "Scan to Image" or "Scan to File", the Brother
> PC-FAX application is invoked (running Windows XP Home and took all
the
> defaults when installing the Brother MFL-Pro Suite software). The
> approach that works for her is to start some program with a scan
> function (ScanSoft PaperPort, for example, came with the Brother
> software package) and preview/scan from there. This is covered
briefly
> on page 2-11 (page 2-3 for Windows 98) of the Software User's Guide
for
> the MFCs 3220C, 3420C, 3320CN and 3820CN, so I suspect that the same
> approach will work for your father-in-law. If you've lost your
CD-ROM
> that has the PDF file for the Software User's Guide, you can download
> copy of the PDF file from the Brother web site (5.4MB).
>
> Rick Ekblaw

Rick,

I've tried doing it from the application also. Nothing happens. The
program just sits there with no error message. I'm just not sure
what's going on.