Need some clarification on ASUS Motherboard

Codeblue009

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Hello All,

I was reading my manual for my new ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard and it stated that the board has a feature that automatically overclocks as needed (ASUS Non-delay Overclocking System). Is this true and if it is, how much does it indeed overclock? My system that I am building contains ASUS A8N-SLI NForce4 Deluxe board, Athlon 64 X2 4400+, Zalman CNPS 7000B ALCU Heatsink, 2 GB of Corsair TwinX2048-3200C2PT, EVGA GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB, 2 WD Caviar SE 16 320 GB SATA 3G, a sexy plexy 716-A Burner, Audigy Sound card & a Cooler Master RP RS-550-ACLY Power Supply.

Or should I just manually overclock the motherboard? I really don't want to overclock too much, just about 200-400Mgz. I am not sure if this would be a reliable and stable configuration. Please help. Thanks!

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Hi,

Yes this is true - NOS is on a number of Asus boards these days.

If you do plan to overclock, do so in steps. What you are planning to do is an approx. 10% increase. I would reccommend going up to to approx. 5% first then do a burn-in test. If temperatures and stability issues do not appear, then go up to ten and re-run the test, looking for those two issues.

cheetsy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
i got 10 percent out of mine with no issues and ive got cheap ram lol, havent tried the nos thing tbh

mine can go much higher but im not really bothered

Codeblue009

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
So blueeyes would you recommmend then to just let the overclocking feature do its work and not overclock? This way I won't foul up the CPU and have a reliable configuration.

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Well, using the NOS software in Windows, you can set the clock to speed to be overclocked by a percentage. That particular feature can be set to work within the BIOS. the biggest reason to use the software under Windows is for ease of access for changes. It can be a time saver.

My advice is to increase your overclocking in stages, rather than to just overlock or not overclock, so to speak. That way, if 10% overclocking is too much on the CPU, you can trim it back to say, 7%, or 5%.

Codeblue009

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Thanks for the help. I am building the rig as we speak. Just got the power supply in and I am now going to install the motherboard. Cooler Master Wavemaster manual says it is an easy install for the motherboard. We will see because I am so not mechanically inclined but I can change ram, hard drives and optical devices easy enough. :D