optical mouse troubles

G

I have a Logitech Optical mouse, the basic model, and when it works, it works great. The problem is that it seems to be falling asleep on me. It will often stop working for a few seconds, especially if left sitting for a minute or two. This is annoying to say the least, and makes gaming all but impossible for anything other than turn based strategy. I know it's not the USB port since my old Logitech USB wheel mouse works fine. The old one is, however, old, and being a normal ball type mouse requires cleaning and isn't as accurate as the optical. The only clue I can give is that the light on the optical has two intensities, moving(bright) and not moving(dim), and when it freezes up there is a corresponding lack of light. Oh, and that it does the same thing in Win98SE and linux(Mandrake 8.1)

If anyone has any idea what the hell is going on, I'd love to hear.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Sounds like low mb voltage.

<font color=red>Remember...</font color=red><font color=blue>You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

FatBurger

Illustrious
It's most likely your mouse surface. Try something else.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
<b>brento73</b>,
I have two optical mice, one Logitech and one generic. They both have the dimming light intensity. As far as I know, this is standard to all optical mice, and I don't believe is the source of your problem. Mine seemed to respond immediately when moved, except during hi-res games, but I believe that is a processing/graphics issue. I do, however, have a response problem of a different nature.

I have a Logitech iFeel Mouseman. It is the first mouse I have used that actually is shaped to fit the most comfortable hand position for me (plus, I found it dirt cheap). It also has "sticky" rubber sides which really helps when I run out of padspace and have to "relocate". These are two issues which I had with my older generic opti mouse which I took to work to get rid of the stuck ball issue. (Too many issues!)

I have it set up to a pretty high speed, especially since I am at 1024x768 and using a small mousepad (with a really nice gel wristrest). What happens to me is sometimes the pointer moves really slow. Then, when I open a window or close a program, it jumps to the set speed. This happens many times during each session. It drives me bonkers!

The pointer also generally moves slow during games.

I have upgraded to the newest Logitech drivers and that hasn't helped. <font color=red>Aside from chucking it out the window, does anybody know what I can do? Are there any known issues?</font color=red>

One more thing, the vibrator seems to turn itself off after only a few minutes of use. OK, OK . . . it is a funky feature that I usually turn off, but WTF?!? I also downloaded the newest Immersion drivers and no dice.

<font color=red>Could this be a PSU issue?</font color=red> I am planning on upgrading soon (b-day in April), but I don't know if I can wait!

<font color=red>Could it be that the one I bought is junk and I need to exchange it?</font color=red>

Please advise.

VSP

<i>Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
<b>nwod</b> gniog em peek reverof sthguohT</i>

TRENDING THREADS