Canon Pixma ip4000 CD printing

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 24, 2004 2:40:06 AM

I am considering buying a Canon Pixma ip4000 printer, particularly for the
CD / DVD printing facility. So far I have been printing separate labels
using the Nero Cover Designer software. Is it possible to use this software
to print directly onto the disc with this printer using the dedicated
cradle, or has the supplied Canon Easy-PhotoPrint software to be used?

Also, is there any way of using the Canon software to print all the way to
the hub, using suitable full face printable discs? The Canon software I have
seen demonstrated leaves a large diameter non-printed area in the middle.

Thank you,

John B.

--
Remove <nospam> from email address to reply
Anonymous

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:40:06 -0000, John B
<jbb@hawkhurst.nospamfreeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> I am considering buying a Canon Pixma ip4000 printer, particularly for
> the
> CD / DVD printing facility. So far I have been printing separate labels
> using the Nero Cover Designer software. Is it possible to use this
> software
> to print directly onto the disc with this printer using the dedicated
> cradle, or has the supplied Canon Easy-PhotoPrint software to be used?
>
> Also, is there any way of using the Canon software to print all the way
> to the hub, using suitable full face printable discs? The Canon software
> I have seen demonstrated leaves a large diameter non-printed area in the
> middle.

The IP4000 is an excellent printer, and it prints on CD's flawlessly using
Nero Cover Designer... (I didn't like Canon's own CD printing software
either). Just make sure you use the right (Canon) ink, and special
*printable* discs.

I'll repeat what I posted a month ago. As you see the hole diameter is
configurable in step 6 of creating the template, so that answers all of
your questions... ;)

Create the new template:

1) In Nero Cover Designer goto File -> Paper Stocks
2) In the list select 'User-defined Stocks' and press the 'Add Stock'
button
3) Give the new stock a nice name, eg. "CD-Tray PIXMA 4000"
4) Set width = 131.0mm, height = 238.7mm (got these from Printer
Preferences dialog)
5) Press the 'Add Item' button and select 'Label'
6) Set outer radius = 59.0mm, inner radius = 22.0mm (or 11.0mm for a small
hole in the middle)
7) Set position X = 6.5mm, Y = 87.0mm

Print onto disc:

1) In Nero Cover Designer goto File -> New and select any disc template
(this is not the one created above)
2) Select the tab "Disk 1"
3) Choose your freshly created paper format from the drop-down box on top
4) Now paint your cover...
5) Goto File -> Print
6) On tab 'Elements' unselect the things you don't want
7) On tab 'General' press the 'Setup' button, and choose PIXMA 4000
'Properties'
8) On tab 'Main', set Media type to "Printable disc (recommended)" (this
will also select "Disc tray" as paper source)
9) On tab 'Page Setup', set Page size to "CD-R tray B"
10) OK, OK, OK
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 6:41:12 PM

Many thanks. I could not wish for a better, and prompt, answer! All I have
to do now is order my new IP4000 and get printing.

Thanks again.

John B.

--
"S.V. Groeneveld" <mail@no.spam> wrote in message
news:o psjhrm1bre5nxey@s960912.campus.tue.nl...
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:40:06 -0000, John B
> <jbb@hawkhurst.nospamfreeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I am considering buying a Canon Pixma ip4000 printer, particularly for
> > the
> > CD / DVD printing facility. So far I have been printing separate labels
> > using the Nero Cover Designer software. Is it possible to use this
> > software
> > to print directly onto the disc with this printer using the dedicated
> > cradle, or has the supplied Canon Easy-PhotoPrint software to be used?
> >
> > Also, is there any way of using the Canon software to print all the way
> > to the hub, using suitable full face printable discs? The Canon software
> > I have seen demonstrated leaves a large diameter non-printed area in the
> > middle.
>
> The IP4000 is an excellent printer, and it prints on CD's flawlessly using
> Nero Cover Designer... (I didn't like Canon's own CD printing software
> either). Just make sure you use the right (Canon) ink, and special
> *printable* discs.
>
> I'll repeat what I posted a month ago. As you see the hole diameter is
> configurable in step 6 of creating the template, so that answers all of
> your questions... ;)
>
> Create the new template:
>
> 1) In Nero Cover Designer goto File -> Paper Stocks
> 2) In the list select 'User-defined Stocks' and press the 'Add Stock'
> button
> 3) Give the new stock a nice name, eg. "CD-Tray PIXMA 4000"
> 4) Set width = 131.0mm, height = 238.7mm (got these from Printer
> Preferences dialog)
> 5) Press the 'Add Item' button and select 'Label'
> 6) Set outer radius = 59.0mm, inner radius = 22.0mm (or 11.0mm for a small
> hole in the middle)
> 7) Set position X = 6.5mm, Y = 87.0mm
>
> Print onto disc:
>
> 1) In Nero Cover Designer goto File -> New and select any disc template
> (this is not the one created above)
> 2) Select the tab "Disk 1"
> 3) Choose your freshly created paper format from the drop-down box on top
> 4) Now paint your cover...
> 5) Goto File -> Print
> 6) On tab 'Elements' unselect the things you don't want
> 7) On tab 'General' press the 'Setup' button, and choose PIXMA 4000
> 'Properties'
> 8) On tab 'Main', set Media type to "Printable disc (recommended)" (this
> will also select "Disc tray" as paper source)
> 9) On tab 'Page Setup', set Page size to "CD-R tray B"
> 10) OK, OK, OK
December 24, 2004 10:15:17 PM

Everyone, it seems, is praising the Canon Pixma ip4000, without giving
the Canon Pixma ip5000 a mention. This surprises me.

I do not possess either, but I am interested. Is it just the price?

Would someone kindly explain please.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"John B" <jbb@hawkhurst.nospamfreeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
small
> > hole in the middle)
> > 7) Set position X = 6.5mm, Y = 87.0mm
> >
> > Print onto disc:
> >
> > 1) In Nero Cover Designer goto File -> New and select any disc
template
> > (this is not the one created above)
> > 2) Select the tab "Disk 1"
> > 3) Choose your freshly created paper format from the drop-down box
on top
> > 4) Now paint your cover...
> > 5) Goto File -> Print
> > 6) On tab 'Elements' unselect the things you don't want
> > 7) On tab 'General' press the 'Setup' button, and choose PIXMA 4000
> > 'Properties'
> > 8) On tab 'Main', set Media type to "Printable disc (recommended)"
(this
> > will also select "Disc tray" as paper source)
> > 9) On tab 'Page Setup', set Page size to "CD-R tray B"

Anonymous
December 25, 2004 12:34:07 AM

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:15:17 -0000, Emrys Davies <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Everyone, it seems, is praising the Canon Pixma ip4000, without giving
> the Canon Pixma ip5000 a mention. This surprises me.
>
> I do not possess either, but I am interested. Is it just the price?
>
> Would someone kindly explain please.

Can you tell us which extra's the IP5000 has to offer?
Hmm, maybe I don't want to know this, since I already have the IP4000, and
am very satisfied with it ;)
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 12:34:08 AM

The main difference with the ip5000 is the droplet size and resolution. The
ip4000 has 4800 x 1200 with 2 picolitre droplet size, but the ip5000 has
9600 x 2400 resolution with 1 picolitre droplet size! What visible
difference this makes I don't know, but did read somewhere that one reviewer
thought the ip 4000 better. Best have a look for reviews about both. The
ip5000 is somewhat more expensive. There is also a ip4000R that includes
built in WiFi connectivity.

Hope this helps.

John B.

--
news:o psji4q5h5e5nxey@s960912.campus.tue.nl...
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:15:17 -0000, Emrys Davies <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> > Everyone, it seems, is praising the Canon Pixma ip4000, without giving
> > the Canon Pixma ip5000 a mention. This surprises me.
> >
> > I do not possess either, but I am interested. Is it just the price?
> >
> > Would someone kindly explain please.
> >

> Can you tell us which extra's the IP5000 has to offer?
> Hmm, maybe I don't want to know this, since I already have the IP4000, and
> am very satisfied with it ;)
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 2:10:46 AM

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
I have an IP4000.  I think it is great.  In some respects I wish I had
an IP5000.  I have seen one result from it and it was fantastic but I
have never seen any direct comparisons.  In other words the same photo
using the same paper.  Canon does not seem to want to provide that.<br>
The printer is $40.00 more; not enough to not to buy it if the end
result is more than marginal.  However, while 2 picoliter print heads
have been out for a long time (the entire i series), the 1 picoliter
print head is new.  While I have not heard any negative reports I would
be concerned about print head clogging; especially if you do not print
photos frequently.<br>
I ask myself why in their narrow carriage flagship model, the ip8500,
did Canon not use the 1 picoliter engine instead opting for the proven
2 picoliter setup.  Maybe they are field testing using their customers
and the testers.  I do not know.<br>
I would like to see the replacement for the i9900 be a Pixma ip10000
with all of the features of the ip8500 plus a 1 picoliter (proven in
the field) droplet size with two additional cartridges, one for high
gloss and the another for a transparent protectorant.<br>
Emrys Davies wrote:
<pre wrap="">Everyone, it seems, is praising the Canon Pixma ip4000, without giving
the Canon Pixma ip5000 a mention. This surprises me.

I do not possess either, but I am interested. Is it just the price?

Would someone kindly explain please.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"John B" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:jbb@hawkhurst.nospamfreeserve.co.uk"><jbb@hawkhurst.nospamfreeserve.co.uk></a> wrote in message
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:cqhdah$ec6$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk">news:cqhdah$ec6$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk</a>...
</pre>
<pre wrap="">Many thanks. I could not wish for a better, and prompt, answer! All I
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->have
</pre>
<pre wrap="">to do now is order my new IP4000 and get printing.

Thanks again.

John B.

--
Remove <nospam> from email address to reply
"S.V. Groeneveld" <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:mail@no.spam"><mail@no.spam></a> wrote in message
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="news:o psjhrm1bre5nxey@s960912.campus.tue.nl">news:o psjhrm1bre5nxey@s960912.campus.tue.nl</a>...
</pre>
<pre wrap="">On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:40:06 -0000, John B
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:jbb@hawkhurst.nospamfreeserve.co.uk"><jbb@hawkhurst.nospamfreeserve.co.uk></a> wrote:

</pre>
<pre wrap="">I am considering buying a Canon Pixma ip4000 printer, particularly
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->for
</pre>
<pre wrap="">the
CD / DVD printing facility. So far I have been printing separate
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->labels
</pre>
<pre wrap="">using the Nero Cover Designer software. Is it possible to use this
software
to print directly onto the disc with this printer using the
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->dedicated
</pre>
<pre wrap="">cradle, or has the supplied Canon Easy-PhotoPrint software to be
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->used?
</pre>
<pre wrap="">Also, is there any way of using the Canon software to print all
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->the way
</pre>
<pre wrap="">to the hub, using suitable full face printable discs? The Canon
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->software
</pre>
<pre wrap="">I have seen demonstrated leaves a large diameter non-printed area
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->in the
</pre>
<pre wrap="">middle.
</pre>
<pre wrap="">The IP4000 is an excellent printer, and it prints on CD's flawlessly
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->using
</pre>
<pre wrap="">Nero Cover Designer... (I didn't like Canon's own CD printing
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->software
</pre>
<pre wrap="">either). Just make sure you use the right (Canon) ink, and special
*printable* discs.

I'll repeat what I posted a month ago. As you see the hole diameter
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->is
</pre>
<pre wrap="">configurable in step 6 of creating the template, so that answers all
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->of
</pre>
<pre wrap="">your questions... ;)

Create the new template:

1) In Nero Cover Designer goto File -> Paper Stocks
2) In the list select 'User-defined Stocks' and press the 'Add
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->Stock'
</pre>
<pre wrap="">button
3) Give the new stock a nice name, eg. "CD-Tray PIXMA 4000"
4) Set width = 131.0mm, height = 238.7mm (got these from Printer
Preferences dialog)
5) Press the 'Add Item' button and select 'Label'
6) Set outer radius = 59.0mm, inner radius = 22.0mm (or 11.0mm for a
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->small
</pre>
<pre wrap="">hole in the middle)
7) Set position X = 6.5mm, Y = 87.0mm

Print onto disc:

1) In Nero Cover Designer goto File -> New and select any disc
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->template
</pre>
<pre wrap="">(this is not the one created above)
2) Select the tab "Disk 1"
3) Choose your freshly created paper format from the drop-down box
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->on top
</pre>
<pre wrap="">4) Now paint your cover...
5) Goto File -> Print
6) On tab 'Elements' unselect the things you don't want
7) On tab 'General' press the 'Setup' button, and choose PIXMA 4000
'Properties'
8) On tab 'Main', set Media type to "Printable disc (recommended)"
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->(this
</pre>
<pre wrap="">will also select "Disc tray" as paper source)
9) On tab 'Page Setup', set Page size to "CD-R tray B"
10) OK, OK, OK
</pre>
<pre wrap="">
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->

</pre>
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 2:12:01 AM

It is identical to your ip4000 except for a 1 picoliter droplet size.
Of course there are more nozzles.

S.V. Groeneveld wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:15:17 -0000, Emrys Davies <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Everyone, it seems, is praising the Canon Pixma ip4000, without giving
>> the Canon Pixma ip5000 a mention. This surprises me.
>>
>> I do not possess either, but I am interested. Is it just the price?
>>
>> Would someone kindly explain please.
>>

> Can you tell us which extra's the IP5000 has to offer?
> Hmm, maybe I don't want to know this, since I already have the IP4000,
> and am very satisfied with it ;)
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 3:40:12 AM

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 23:12:01 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It is identical to your ip4000 except for a 1 picoliter droplet size.
> Of course there are more nozzles.

Pff, if that's all, there's no reason to consider the IP5000 in my opinion
;)

I remember I had to choose between IP3000 en IP4000 when I bought mine.
And because I needed a parallel interface this choice was simple, since
the IP3000 only has a USB interface.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 3:06:41 AM

"S.V. Groeneveld" <mail@no.spam> wrote:

>The IP4000 is an excellent printer, and it prints on CD's flawlessly using
>Nero Cover Designer.

Is the Canon IP4000 that prints on CDs available in the USA or only
in Europe? If it is not available in the USA, is there an easy way
to modify the USA version to print on CDs? Thank you in advance for