Need help routing IPX over IPsec

Last response: in Networking
February 11, 2005 2:35:53 AM

How can I route IPX traffic across an IPsec VPN connection?

My VPN is established via Netgear FVS318 to FVS318.

Do I need to use PPTP instead of IPsec? If so, does this mean I can't use
the FVS318s?

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Max

More about : routing ipx ipsec

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 2:44:17 PM

MIddleman wrote:
> How can I route IPX traffic across an IPsec VPN connection?
>
> My VPN is established via Netgear FVS318 to FVS318.
>
> Do I need to use PPTP instead of IPsec? If so, does this mean I can't use
> the FVS318s?
>
> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Max
IPSEC is IP only. So you cannot route IPX over it. HOWEVER, I assume you
want IPX for an old Novell install (I say old beacuse Novell has used
native IP for over 5 years now). You can always use netwareIP to
encapsulate the IPX into IP.
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:26:08 AM

"T. Sean Weintz" <strap@hanh-ct.org> wrote in message :
> IPSEC is IP only. So you cannot route IPX over it. HOWEVER, I assume you
> want IPX for an old Novell install (I say old beacuse Novell has used
> native IP for over 5 years now). You can always use netwareIP to
> encapsulate the IPX into IP.

We are currently using Netware 5.0. However, since we migrated from 3.11 in
1999 we just kept using the IPX. Since Netware 5.0 has PureIP, how hard is
it to convert the server to IP from IPX? Will CMD allow me to use both
protocols simultaniously?

Obviously my goal is to implement IP and do away with the IPX so that I can
use the FVS318's IPSec to connect remotely...

Max
!