iFixit Dissects Apple's New EarPods

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I've heard many saying that although the sound is a big improvement over their last earphones, these are still fairly bad. They look fancy, but perform on-par for their price.

Nothing special.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
"...that is near-impossible to self-repair"

methinks that is the mantra that apple designers and engineers chant to themselves while working.

eternalkp

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
according to apple keynote
"3 years in development"
why? music lovers just throw away the standard earphones
since when is apple a major player in sound?
i mean look at the apple products, all the internal components are from japan, and korea.

and now they make earphones? please
why not license some decent earphones form seinhenser.
the default apple earphones suck

kendrose

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Who fixes $30 earphones?The personal time and labour expense to get a pair of earphones fixed is pointless for $30 earphones.[/citation]

No kidding. Why would anyone go to that length??? Especially when anyone who wants a high end music experience has proper high end earbuds/headphones. Only reason to keep the ones out of the box are in case your nice ones break and you need backups till the new ones arrive.
I wonder if apple has made any progress in sound quality from the device itself though. Couple years back the reviews I was reading were not positive for the iphone or ipod. If not, maybe the stock earbuds are as good as they need to be considering the source signal? *eye roll*

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Who fixes apple products?
The personal time and labour expense to get apple products fixed is pointless, at least that's apple plan.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Rather spend the $30 on the well made, better sounding IEM's than apple. Pains me everytime I see someone who says apple earbuds are the best, they sound better than most of the free junk is given with your mp3 player but it is still sub par to good headphones/iems that can be had for cheap.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]clubsaucekiller[/nom]I see iFixit is still trying to make themselves relevant.[/citation]
you fail to notice that iFixits main goal is to sell tools by breaking shit and giving a repairability review, even though only the really hardcore would fix headphones. and Ill say its a very damn good marketing tactic.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
If Apple says they spent 3 years developing these, they are either exaggerating, lying, or dumb. Ported ear buds are nothing new--they do provide better perceived sounds to a lot of ears--but they're nothing new.

Also heard that some people aren't digging the comfort of them either.

Oh well, if they aren't worse than the old stock headphones, then I guess it doesn't really matter.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
"so if something does go wrong, you'd have to pay another $30 for a new pair."

If I had $30 to spend on earbuds I would buy from Sennheiser/JVC and the like. Not another pair of this.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

if only seinhenser made decent headphones.

Try grado or nuforce.

G

Funny to see that no one here has actually tried them, but ready to bag them on the basis of nothing. I can vouch they are amazing sound compared to the last offering. You would have to spend over $100 mark in seinhenser to beat the sound. Comfort is great, I could not wear the last headphones apple put out but these are very comfy! Try the product before you review it! Am I an apple fan boi, no way! but look at things with clear eyes or in this case open ears :)

G

surprised we didn't get some Apple stastistic like the new Ear Pods are 3.67584 times better than the old headphones. That would have driven the Apple mob's hysteria to new highs!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kendrose[/nom]No kidding. Why would anyone go to that length??? Especially when anyone who wants a high end music experience has proper high end earbuds/headphones. Only reason to keep the ones out of the box are in case your nice ones break and you need backups till the new ones arrive.I wonder if apple has made any progress in sound quality from the device itself though. Couple years back the reviews I was reading were not positive for the iphone or ipod. If not, maybe the stock earbuds are as good as they need to be considering the source signal? *eye roll*[/citation]

apparently you have never been poor and own a soldering iron before.

10-15$ yea chick them and get new ones.
considering anything were the wire splits in the middle like these have failed on me within a year of purchasing every SINGE one of them, i have repaired some sub 50$ headphones before, mostly reconnecting wires, or completely replacing the wire, but you will be amazed at the lengths you will go to for the sake of a few $ when you have nothing.

Be0wulf22

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Oh please, who repairs $30 headphones? I could understand complaining about not being able to replace a battery in a retina macbook, but now we're bashing apple for not having repairable headphones?? give me a break. Show me any other manufacturer that provides repair parts for their $30 headphones.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]"so if something does go wrong, you'd have to pay another $30 for a new pair."If I had $30 to spend on earbuds I would buy from Sennheiser/JVC and the like. Not another pair of this.[/citation]
Anything without molded ear pieces is gonna be difficult to get to sound good. What you hope is they just don't sound like total crap and don't break the first week of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.