X1900XTX and Crossfire

cgreentx

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I am confused a bit by the CrossFire technology and wanted to find out the correct answer. If I have an X1900XTX and I want to do crossfire, do I purchase another XTX unit, or do I purchase an X1900XTX to act as my second card? I find conflicting answers all over the place and I'm hoping that someone here can help out.

Chris Green

cgreentx

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I called ATI and was told that you need a Crossfire Edition card for the master. Based on that I will probably just buy an XT. Now I still need to know about the motherboard though.. Anyone?

Chris

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
For Crossfire, you need a Crossfire Master Card, which currently is spec'ed at XT levels. Then you will require a normal XT or XTX (apparantly you can get a bit better performance using Master XT and normal XTX in crossfire). There were rumours once that no master card is required, but I think it only applies to mid range cards (X1600). And obviously you need a Crossfire mobo and a biggish PSU...

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Yes you either need an ATI Xpress Crossfire edition motherboard or one based on their new 3200 chip. Can't run Crossfire with an SLI motherboard.

cgreentx

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I'm suffering from my own ego here.. Knowing the 3200 is out I can't bring myself to buy the 200 series.. however the 3200 seems to only be available right now on the ASUS A8R-MVP which nobody has in stock. Thanks for the help guys.. now I have to decide if I give in and get a 200 series chip, or just wait a month. ;)

Chris Green

cgreentx

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
They are available now.
I found one available Friday.
A8R32-MVP $249

I will be getting one in the coming few weeks myself.

That's the only site that I foudn "in stock" on and that makes me nervous. I also know nothing about them. Ingram and Tech Data are both on back-order. Leaning a bit toward NVidia now. :(

Chris Green