Cost of toner

Anybody else outraged about the cost of toner? These companies sell printers
for nothing, and after that they make tons of money charging me for the
toner...

Mike

Splendid

Jim P wrote:
> Anybody else outraged about the cost of toner? These companies sell printers
> for nothing, and after that they make tons of money charging me for the
> toner...

When you get old enough to shave, you're REALLY gonna be upset. ;-)

mike

"Jim P" <ionion2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anybody else outraged about the cost of toner? These companies sell
> printers for nothing, and after that they make tons of money charging me
> for the toner...

really toner is not that much?? or shouldnt be that much maybe $0.03/page?!
at least it's cheaper than inkjets :p

> When you get old enough to shave, you're REALLY gonna be upset. ;-)
>
> mike

lol

Jim P wrote:
> Anybody else outraged about the cost of toner? These companies sell printers
> for nothing, and after that they make tons of money charging me for the
> toner...

Perhaps we should go back to the "GOOD OLD DAYS" when a Laserjet II
cost $2700.

Would that make you feel better?

Don't you just hate to see companies make money to stay in business.

They should lose money so as to give the customer the best bargain?

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:37:51 -0600, jbuch <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net>
wrote:

>Jim P wrote:
>> Anybody else outraged about the cost of toner? These companies sell printers
>> for nothing, and after that they make tons of money charging me for the
>> toner...
>>

>Perhaps we should go back to the "GOOD OLD DAYS" when a Laserjet II
>cost $2700.
>
>Would that make you feel better?
>
>Don't you just hate to see companies make money to stay in business.
>
>They should lose money so as to give the customer the best bargain?

You capitalist pig!

PJ

Kind of like the toy industry, and the cost of batteries!

Bill Crocker

jbuch wrote:
> Jim P wrote:
>
>> Anybody else outraged about the cost of toner? These companies sell
>> printers for nothing, and after that they make tons of money charging
>> me for the toner...
>>

> Perhaps we should go back to the "GOOD OLD DAYS" when a Laserjet II
> cost $2700.
>
> Would that make you feel better?
>
> Don't you just hate to see companies make money to stay in business.
>
> They should lose money so as to give the customer the best bargain?

I may be dating myself here, but a girl I used to get to print resumes
for me in my pre-pc days had an IBM daisy wheel quiet writer, I think I
recall her telling me she paid over C$2000 for.... But it was nice
output I'll have to say!

"Jim P" wrote
> Anybody else outraged about the cost of toner? These companies sell
> printers for nothing, and after that they make tons of money charging me
> for the toner...

When I worked for Hewlett Packard some years ago I was given this inside
information - that HP is not a computer company. It is not even a printer
company. It is an ink/toner company. Bulk of its profits comes from ink and
toner.

Regards -JW

"John Wright" <notprovided@something.com> wrote in message

> When I worked for Hewlett Packard some years ago I was given this inside
> information - that HP is not a computer company. It is not even a printer
> company. It is an ink/toner company. Bulk of its profits comes from ink and
> toner.

It is hardly inside information - HP's financials post each quarter the revenue
and profit by segment of the company. See:
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/investor/financials/quarters/2004/q4.html. In the
most recent quarter the "Printing and Imaging" sector had $6.5B of revenue, out
of a company overall of $21.1B.

- Bob Headrick

You obviously hold some HP stocks :)

"jbuch" <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net> wrote in message
> Jim P wrote:
>> Anybody else outraged about the cost of toner? These companies sell
>> printers for nothing, and after that they make tons of money charging me
>> for the toner...
>
> Perhaps we should go back to the "GOOD OLD DAYS" when a Laserjet II cost
> $2700.
>
> Would that make you feel better?
>
> Don't you just hate to see companies make money to stay in business.
>
> They should lose money so as to give the customer the best bargain?

"Bob Headrick" wrote

> "John Wright" wrote
>> When I worked for Hewlett Packard some years ago I was given this inside
>> information - that HP is not a computer company. It is not even a printer
>> company. It is an ink/toner company. Bulk of its profits comes from ink
>> and toner.
>
> It is hardly inside information ... See:
> http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/investor/financials/quarters/2004/q4.html. In
> the most recent quarter the "Printing and Imaging" sector had $6.5B of
> revenue, out of a company overall of $21.1B.

Your figures are right, but a couple of points to note here -
1. You are talking revenue, I am talking profits. HP gets a lot of revenue
in areas where they make little profit, or even loss.
2. The figures published for their Printing & Imaging division do not show
the figures for ink/toner separately from printers. You can't tell from the
figures that they are at best breaking even on printers (perhaps even making
a loss) but make a killing on ink/toner (again, looking at profits not
revenue). This information is not published - this is where the inside
information came in.

Merry Christmas!!

Regards - JW

Alan

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 04:14:20 GMT, "Jim P" <ionion2001@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Anybody else outraged about the cost of toner? These companies sell printers
>for nothing, and after that they make tons of money charging me for the
>toner...

So don't buy it from the printer company. There are lots of places
that refurbish and refill toner carts, and sell them for generally
less than half the original price. Some make clone carts. Quality
varies, so ask around local companies that have used them. I've hardly
ever used an original HP cart, unless someone else was paying for it,
for the past 12 years.

jbuch wrote:

> Jim P wrote:
>
>> Anybody else outraged about the cost of toner? These companies sell
>> printers for nothing, and after that they make tons of money charging
>> me for the toner...
>>

> Perhaps we should go back to the "GOOD OLD DAYS" when a Laserjet II
> cost $2700.

If it meant the machine was designed to last (and today, even upgrade),
the consumables were at reasonable costs which were more like the cost
plus a reasonable profit margin, and parts were made available, customer
service was more than a phrase, and overall it reduced the desire of the
consumer to replace the whole printer every time they needed a toner or
ink refill, then yes, perhaps we should.

> Would that make you feel better?

I would.

> Don't you just hate to see companies make money to stay in business.

I'm gonna quote someone here, tell me if you recognize it:

> I don't see how anybody coulld make a living repairing cheap
electrical appliances.

> You buy a new coffeemaker for $30. It breaks, and you get charged
$10.00 for the replacement heating element and $20 to install it. So,
for the consumer, it doesn't make sense to have a small appliances
repair system, except for a $200 expensive appliance or a ship it
back for a new one type of warranty service.

> The bulk of the printers today in the hands of consumers are "cheap".
>
> There are only a few shoe repair shops around these days, much less
than in the past. It is too expensive to repair most inexpensive shoes.
But, there are expensive shoes where repair makes good sense. $30 shoes
resoled for $15 vs $150 shoes resoled for $25 is a whole different
ball game.

> The piezoelectric print heads are alleged to cost more than the
thermal/bubblejet heads to produce.

> So, the profits on the headless full inktank cartridge are higher
than the profits on the inktank with built in thermal/bubblejet printing
head.

> I really don't see the viability of expecting to make a living
repairing "Cheap" products.

> Jim

Now, you see, if the printers cost let's just say $800, since they now
sell for under $100 here in Canada, as maybe they should, and the toner
refills cost $40, rather than $150, people would keep their printers and
pay a couple hundred for a repair, keeping the repairman in business,
and they wouldn't want to chuck the printer every time it needed a new
toner fill, a slight repair, or a new one with a new bell or whistle
came out.

Not only that, but the inhabitants of the whole planet might benefit.
How much longer to you really think we can go down this wasteful road
before it is blocked by someone else's garbage in front of us?

> They should lose money so as to give the customer the best bargain?

They already do on many products. We have become so craven to "the new
and best, we refuse to buy a printer that has been on the shelf over 6
months, so they are dumped below cost. In fact, many of the NEW
printers are sold below cost to try to get the "ink I.V. drip" started.

Lexmark lives on this concept. I almost never see Lexmark printers for
SALE in Canada, by far the large majority are "given away" with purchase
of just about anything computer related.

If this keeps up, you'll get one free with the purchased of a blank DVD.

Art

The funny thing about that is (and I have held HP stock for about 10
years) when the company was indeed selling printers for $2700 the stock
never did better! It was splitting and recovering full value per share
every 6 months for a while there.

After all those years, I finally sold all my HP holdings a few days ago.
Looking over all those wonderful splits and spin-offs, I discovered,
much to my horror, that the profit I made, as a result of the massive
shrinkage of both the HP stock value and that of the spin offs, left me
with minimal profit, where years ago, the profits I had on paper were in
the hundreds of percent!

HP was one of the companies responsible for this new business model in
printers and the like (taken from the razor and instant camera
businesses, I presume) and they are now stuck with it, as it has become
a Pandora's box of which there is no going back.

I wish them luck, but, I'm done as an owner of their equity, and quite
likely, also of their product lines, until something does change (like
their CEO?)...

None of this is a reflection on some of their very dedicated past and
current employees, whom, I believe were/are trying to do their jobs
under the most difficult of circumstances.

Art

Jim P wrote:

> You obviously hold some HP stocks :)
>
> "jbuch" <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net> wrote in message
>
>>Jim P wrote:
>>
>>>Anybody else outraged about the cost of toner? These companies sell
>>>printers for nothing, and after that they make tons of money charging me
>>>for the toner...
>>
>>Perhaps we should go back to the "GOOD OLD DAYS" when a Laserjet II cost
>>$2700.
>>
>>Would that make you feel better?
>>
>>Don't you just hate to see companies make money to stay in business.
>>
>>They should lose money so as to give the customer the best bargain?

Except the toy companies do not own the battery companies or vice versa,
in fact, in most cases, they have to buy the batteries they put into the
original packaging from other companies.

It would be different if the toy companies (even the adult toy companies
(like Apple, Sony, etc) has a stake in battery technology, but most do not.

In this case, the printer companies own much of the toner and ink
related business either directly or through subcontract.

Yes, there are many independent ink manufacturers, it's true, but the
largest chunk of the business by dollar is still going to the printer
companies.

Art

Bill Crocker wrote:

> Kind of like the toy industry, and the cost of batteries!
>
> Bill Crocker
>

> "Jim P" <ionion2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Anybody else outraged about the cost of toner? These companies sell
>>printers for nothing, and after that they make tons of money charging me
>>for the toner...

I've seen the figures broken down. HP made almost ALL their profits on
consumables in the last several year. That includes ink, toner, paper,
etc. They are not alone in the printer world.

Art

John Wright wrote:

> "Bob Headrick" wrote
>
>>"John Wright" wrote
>>
>>>When I worked for Hewlett Packard some years ago I was given this inside
>>>information - that HP is not a computer company. It is not even a printer
>>>company. It is an ink/toner company. Bulk of its profits comes from ink
>>>and toner.
>>
>>It is hardly inside information ... See:
>>http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/investor/financials/quarters/2004/q4.html. In
>>the most recent quarter the "Printing and Imaging" sector had $6.5B of
>>revenue, out of a company overall of $21.1B.
>

> Your figures are right, but a couple of points to note here -
> 1. You are talking revenue, I am talking profits. HP gets a lot of revenue
> in areas where they make little profit, or even loss.
> 2. The figures published for their Printing & Imaging division do not show
> the figures for ink/toner separately from printers. You can't tell from the
> figures that they are at best breaking even on printers (perhaps even making
> a loss) but make a killing on ink/toner (again, looking at profits not
> revenue). This information is not published - this is where the inside
> information came in.
>
> Merry Christmas!!
>
> Regards - JW

"Arthur Entlich" wrote
> After all those years, I finally sold all my HP holdings a few days ago.

Also Agilent? They were another disaster.

- JW

Yes, I sold them as well, which I was a bit more sad about. Walter
Hewlett, when he was voted out of the board from HP, moved to Agilent,
and I've always like him.

Apparently, an honest man with integrity and a heart, an intelligent,
cultured man. All the things that Carly Fiorina lambasted him for
being. Oh well, time to find some new and truly innovative companies to
invest in, I guess. I mean, how much longer can a company live on
buying up computer showroom space to corner the market while only making
reasonable profits on very outlandishly priced ink and toner.

It is all too bad. HP had so much potential. I hope some of the many
people who have left, either of their own accord, or by force, come back
together and start up something new.

Art

John Wright wrote:

> "Arthur Entlich" wrote
>
>>After all those years, I finally sold all my HP holdings a few days ago.
>

> Also Agilent? They were another disaster.
>
> - JW

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:03:02 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:

>Yes, I sold them as well, which I was a bit more sad about. Walter
>Hewlett, when he was voted out of the board from HP, moved to Agilent,
>and I've always like him.

- I told you so
- Definitely?
- Yes
- Are you sure?
- Because postings are reversed and one doesn't know what you are on about
- Why is top posting such a pain in the butt?

Pete,

You appear to be one of the major trolls here. If you have nothing of
value to say (and indeed looking over your past number of posts, I'd say
that was the case).

You seem to be good with useless one liners, insulting and sometimes
profane comments, and basically getting on about your ridiculous "top
posting" complaint.

It's getting tedious and truly it's insipid. Go find a newsgroup
dedicated to list netequette and I'm sure you'll discover a whole group
of telephone handset sanitizers to collect leaves with. (with apologies
to the late, great Douglas Adams).

Art

pete wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 12:03:02 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:
>

>>Yes, I sold them as well, which I was a bit more sad about. Walter
>>Hewlett, when he was voted out of the board from HP, moved to Agilent,
>>and I've always like him.
>

> - I told you so
> - Definitely?
> - Yes
> - Are you sure?
> - Because postings are reversed and one doesn't know what you are on about
> - Why is top posting such a pain in the butt?

GP

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Bob Headrick wrote:

> In the most recent quarter the "Printing and Imaging" sector had $6.5B of
> revenue, out of a company overall of $21.1B.

> See:
> http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/investor/financials/quarters/2004/q4.html.

Thanks so much for this information, Mr Headrick! Unfortunately, at the
present time, my financial analysis is not at this level and I don't worry too
much how and where HP makes its money, but how I will get the best printer for
my money.

So, let's just compare two printers, the HP 1012 and the Brother HL-5140:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/fr/un/WF06a/18972-236251-236263-14638-236263-377934.html
http://solutions.brother.com/hl5140_all/en_us/spec.html

The Brother HL-5140, after a $50 coupon rebate, comes down to $300 (CAN) at
Staples, the HP 1012, after a $110 instant rebate, is $190. So the 1012 is
much cheaper. Or is it?

The 1012 comes with a 1,000 pages half empty cartridge, the HL-5140 with a
full 3,500 pages cartridge. So you have to pay 2,500 pages extra for the 1012
to get even. At $90 / 2000 pages cartridge(1), that's $90 * 1.25 = $112.50.
$190 + 112.50 = 302.50$. So, they're the same price. Or are they?

(1)
<http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_class.asp?CatIds=88%2C506%2C509,5078&name=MD%5FHewlett+Packard%5FLaserJet+1012&>

The 1012 is host based not networkable, the HL-5140 is networkable. The 1012
has 8 megs unexpandable memory, the HL-5140 16 megs expandable to 144 in case
you want to network it. The HL-5140 offers full PCL6 support, the 1012
language is not stated.

Linuxprinting says: "language looks like PJL + PCL 6" and "HP LaserJet 1010
works (...) with all raster drivers for the HP LaserJet 1100. Unfortunately,
the new LaserJet 1010/1012/1015 series seems not to be absolutely compatible
with older HP printers or it has a firmware bug. Sometimes it happens that the
printer stops working and reports the error "Unsupported Personality: PCL".

http://linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1012

The ML-5140 has a 250 sheets paper tray option, the 1012, none.

Brother offers a 6,700 sheet cartridge for 135$ at Staples, which means each
page comes down to 2¢. Add 1¢ for the drum, there's still no need to make
prints and then go to the photocopy shop.

(First I thought it was a great advantage that all the refurbishing industry
offered guarantee-ruining HP cartridges. Now, I understand why they don't sell
Brother's:)

The 1012 weights 13 pounds, the ML-5140, 23. When you look at both printers in
the store, the first looks like a flimsy toy, the second one like a sturdy
piece of equipment.

Reviews say that the 1012 has better graphic quality. But I remember I went
for my Canon BJ-300 because quality was better than the Deskjet 500's and
bitterly regreted it. And I don't remember the last time I printed graphics.

My dear Mr Headrick, I'm counting on you to explain why I should get a HP
printer. You know, with La Fiorina manufacturing-a in China, I'm wondering if
it wouldn't be much cheaper to buy directly from a Chinese, Korean or serious
Japanese printer company.

I kinda think their "overhead" is much lower, mainly when the company's in big
trouble. Maybe you've read "Made in Japan" by Akio Morita. He was the
president of Sony and thought jets weren't such a necessity. So, imagine in Korea!

GP

GP, some of your arguments are certainly with merit. I think the
comparison on the HP versus Brother laser printers is a valid way to
analyze a purchasing decision.

Where you are being unfair, however, is your tone with Mr. Bob Headrick.

Bob Headrick's participation on this newsgroup is not sponsored by HP.
He does it on his own dime, to try to be helpful to people who have
questions he can answer. Yes, as an HP employee, he knows a bit about
how they work, or knows who to ask to try to find answers for people who
feel they aren't getting the information they require. But he has made
it clear he cannot be an apologist for HP, and he is isn't here
particularly to defend HP. Heck, for all we know, he may agree with
some of the things you are concerned about.

His being here is a plus for everyone on this group, and we should be
more respectful of his willingness to be helpful.

As I see it, he is no different than I in terms of his place in this
newsgroup. I know a fair amount about Epson printers, and printers in
general, but no one sponsors me here. I try to be helpful, and I try to
be fair.

So, I would ask that you recognize Bob Headrick's position here, and not
badger him, because he is not obligated to be here. He is not here at
HP's bequest, and should he choose to leave, quite a few people will
will left with no HP expert here.

Art

Arthur Entlich wrote:
> GP, some of your arguments are certainly with merit. I think the
> comparison on the HP versus Brother laser printers is a valid way to
> analyze a purchasing decision.
>
> Where you are being unfair, however, is your tone with Mr. Bob Headrick.
>
> Bob Headrick's participation on this newsgroup is not sponsored by HP.
> He does it on his own dime, to try to be helpful to people who have
> questions he can answer. Yes, as an HP employee, he knows a bit about
> how they work, or knows who to ask to try to find answers for people who
> feel they aren't getting the information they require. But he has made
> it clear he cannot be an apologist for HP, and he is isn't here
> particularly to defend HP. Heck, for all we know, he may agree with
> some of the things you are concerned about.
>
> His being here is a plus for everyone on this group, and we should be
> more respectful of his willingness to be helpful.
>
> As I see it, he is no different than I in terms of his place in this
> newsgroup. I know a fair amount about Epson printers, and printers in
> general, but no one sponsors me here. I try to be helpful, and I try to
> be fair.
>
> So, I would ask that you recognize Bob Headrick's position here, and not
> badger him, because he is not obligated to be here. He is not here at
> HP's bequest, and should he choose to leave, quite a few people will
> will left with no HP expert here.
>
> Art

Ain't it the truth!

This group is indeed fortunate to have Bob as a contributor. Bob is
kind and smart enough to help those with questions & problems with HP
printers but he is also smart enough to NOT bite the hand that feeds
him or jump on those that do have a bone to pick with HP.

Thanks Bob.

Mickey

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:25:48 -0800, Mickey <mickey@webster.com> wrote:

>Arthur Entlich wrote:
>> GP, some of your arguments are certainly with merit. I think the
>> comparison on the HP versus Brother laser printers is a valid way to
>> analyze a purchasing decision.
>>
>> Where you are being unfair, however, is your tone with Mr. Bob Headrick.
>>
>> Bob Headrick's participation on this newsgroup is not sponsored by HP.
>> He does it on his own dime, to try to be helpful to people who have
>> questions he can answer. Yes, as an HP employee, he knows a bit about
>> how they work, or knows who to ask to try to find answers for people who
>> feel they aren't getting the information they require. But he has made
>> it clear he cannot be an apologist for HP, and he is isn't here
>> particularly to defend HP. Heck, for all we know, he may agree with
>> some of the things you are concerned about.
>>
>> His being here is a plus for everyone on this group, and we should be
>> more respectful of his willingness to be helpful.
>>
>> As I see it, he is no different than I in terms of his place in this
>> newsgroup. I know a fair amount about Epson printers, and printers in
>> general, but no one sponsors me here. I try to be helpful, and I try to
>> be fair.
>>
>> So, I would ask that you recognize Bob Headrick's position here, and not
>> badger him, because he is not obligated to be here. He is not here at
>> HP's bequest, and should he choose to leave, quite a few people will
>> will left with no HP expert here.
>>
>> Art
>>
>Ain't it the truth!
>
>This group is indeed fortunate to have Bob as a contributor. Bob is
>kind and smart enough to help those with questions & problems with HP
>printers but he is also smart enough to NOT bite the hand that feeds
>him or jump on those that do have a bone to pick with HP.
>
>Thanks Bob.
>
>Mickey

Yes.

Bob Headrick is a great resource and I appreciate the useful advice
that he gives.

PJ