SP2 a Disaster

Boy, big mistake (for me anyway)! I just went through a
nightmare of upgrading to a bug-ridden Quicken 2005, but
SP2 was even more annoying. I have a high-end 2GHz Dell
(only 512K RAM), and after installing SP2, it was like
someone poured molasses on the OS! The thing was still
Numerous shutdowns & restarts were of no help, so I
uninstalled and am once again at peace with SP1. Don't
know if others are experiencing the same thing, but my
time, a considerable waste I might add, with SP2 was
horrible.

Regards,
Randy
11 answers Last reply
More about disaster

    We used to run the XP OS on a Dell with plenty of drive
    space. When it began giving me messages to upgrade to SP2,
    I called my personal guru (my teenager) and asked if it
    was advisable. She loaded and installed it, and we have
    not been able to use the Dell with the Windows boot ever
    since.
    When I try, everything takes a little longer. The Windows
    XP screen appears, disappears, and the blue screen of
    death flashes past, too quick to read the error.
    So my advice is "Save yourselves! Don't do it!"
    My questions: which F button will stop the blue screen
    long enough to let those three lines be read?
    Does it matter which error I have?

    I have been reading about the "Last Known Good
    Configuration" - no good, F8 doesn't work - and
    the "Recovery Console," which I am about to try, as soon
    as I read up.
    Wish me luck.

    Randy, I sympathise. You should get rid of the bugs completely as it would
    appear that your machine should accept SP2 with no problems. I've posted
    the stuff below so many times....
    Get a firewall and a good anti-virus programme up and running!!

    A repeat of another post I made
    To deal with issues caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
    "spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Smiley Central, Xupiter,
    Bonzai Buddy, or KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately
    (but without understanding the consequences) installed, two free products
    that are quite effective (at finding and removing this type of
    scumware) are Ad-Aware SE from http://www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search &
    Destroy from http://www.safer-networking.org/ . Both have free versions.
    It's even possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your
    system against most future intrusions. You could also use McAfee's free
    Stinger removal tool available at http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ I use all
    and generally
    perform manual scans every day or so to clean out cookies, etc.
    Browser HiJack blaster is another excellent free product which just sits
    there guarding your PC available at
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/bhblaster.html
    Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
    varieties of scumware are available here:

    PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
    http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

    More information and assistance is available at these sites:

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The Parasite Fight
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Invest in a good firewall and virus protection

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    "Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Boy, big mistake (for me anyway)! I just went through a
    > nightmare of upgrading to a bug-ridden Quicken 2005, but
    > SP2 was even more annoying. I have a high-end 2GHz Dell
    > (only 512K RAM), and after installing SP2, it was like
    > someone poured molasses on the OS! The thing was still
    > Numerous shutdowns & restarts were of no help, so I
    > uninstalled and am once again at peace with SP1. Don't
    > know if others are experiencing the same thing, but my
    > time, a considerable waste I might add, with SP2 was
    > horrible.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Randy

    Try clicking Pause/Break. When these disasters happen there has to be an
    underlying reason, the system must be compromised in the first place.

    --
    "Gail" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We used to run the XP OS on a Dell with plenty of drive
    > space. When it began giving me messages to upgrade to SP2,
    > I called my personal guru (my teenager) and asked if it
    > was advisable. She loaded and installed it, and we have
    > not been able to use the Dell with the Windows boot ever
    > since.
    > When I try, everything takes a little longer. The Windows
    > XP screen appears, disappears, and the blue screen of
    > death flashes past, too quick to read the error.
    > So my advice is "Save yourselves! Don't do it!"
    > My questions: which F button will stop the blue screen
    > long enough to let those three lines be read?
    > Does it matter which error I have?
    >
    > I have been reading about the "Last Known Good
    > Configuration" - no good, F8 doesn't work - and
    > the "Recovery Console," which I am about to try, as soon
    > as I read up.
    > Wish me luck.

    Thanks, Peter, but the Pause/Break button did not work.
    Neither will the Recovery Console - apparently I'm not set
    up to boot from the disk drive.
    The blue screen says
    STOP error (lots of zeros)0135 unable to locate component
    and two other lines.

    All the fixes I have seen on the Windows website
    start "click on the Start button," only I have not seen
    that Start button since downloading SP2.

    Microsoft said SP2 would solve all my problems(even though
    I hadn't noticed any), but instead it crashed my system.
    On top of that, there seems to be no info for how to fix
    it, other than the obvious one of reinstall XP. Even I
    knew that one at once, but my guru thinks there must be a
    better way.

    Luckily the Linux boot works just fine.
    In the end, I'm fairly sure we will reinstall XP. Its too
    bad about the lost info, but I have better things to do
    than tear out my hair.

    Hi Peter--

    The "bugs" I was referring to were with Quicken 2005, not
    in general.

    I've been running ZoneAlarm Pro & Norton Antivirus 2004
    for some time. Believe me, my system is "bug" free.

    --Randy

    Try:

    Booting in safe mode or booting from the original Windows XP CD. Then see if
    you can run the Event Manager. That might allow you to get at the system
    event logs containing some info on the BSOD you get when booting into SP2 -
    perhaps.

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 05:07:22 -0700, "Gail"

    >We used to run the XP OS on a Dell with plenty of drive
    >space. When it began giving me messages to upgrade to SP2,
    >I called my personal guru (my teenager) and asked if it
    >was advisable. She loaded and installed it, and we have
    >not been able to use the Dell with the Windows boot ever
    >since.
    >When I try, everything takes a little longer. The Windows
    >XP screen appears, disappears, and the blue screen of
    >death flashes past, too quick to read the error.
    >So my advice is "Save yourselves! Don't do it!"
    >My questions: which F button will stop the blue screen
    >long enough to let those three lines be read?
    >Does it matter which error I have?
    >
    >I have been reading about the "Last Known Good
    >Configuration" - no good, F8 doesn't work - and
    >the "Recovery Console," which I am about to try, as soon
    >as I read up.
    > Wish me luck.

    Perhaps you put too much trust in your personal guru? :-)

    We have two Dell 4550 with WinXP and SP2 installed and have no
    problems.

    Have you thought of uninstalling SP2 to see if that solves the
    problem?

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:18:46 -0700,

    >Luckily the Linux boot works just fine.

    Probably installing Linux was the beginning of your problems

    >In the end, I'm fairly sure we will reinstall XP. Its too
    >bad about the lost info, but I have better things to do
    >than tear out my hair.

    I respectfully submit that "something" is seriously amiss in
    your system, whether it's apparent or not. ZA and NAV are a
    good start, but I bet you're full of adware, some of it
    being dastardly, beyond just keystroke logging and internet
    snooping.
    Either get rid of the adware or "clean install" XP,
    update it fully, and THEN do SP2 again. You'll be glad yuou
    did in the end, especially when SP3 comes along. Get rid of
    adware with Adaware, Spybot S&D and whatever other ones you
    take a liking to. One will not do it - there's too much out
    there.

    Pop

    "Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:3bd501c48fa5$e01d7820$a601280a@phx.gbl...
    > Hi Peter--
    >
    > The "bugs" I was referring to were with Quicken 2005, not
    > in general.
    >
    > I've been running ZoneAlarm Pro & Norton Antivirus 2004
    > for some time. Believe me, my system is "bug" free.
    >
    > --Randy

    You need to access the BIOS, to change the boot set up first. When you
    re-boot press "delete" and when you enter the BIOS, navigate to "Advanced
    User" and press enter. You'll then see a list of options and set your CD
    (CDRom) to first boot. and enter. Save settings and leave. You should now be
    able to boot from your Windows XP disc.
    Roy Price

    "Gail" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We used to run the XP OS on a Dell with plenty of drive
    > space. When it began giving me messages to upgrade to SP2,
    > I called my personal guru (my teenager) and asked if it
    > was advisable. She loaded and installed it, and we have
    > not been able to use the Dell with the Windows boot ever
    > since.
    > When I try, everything takes a little longer. The Windows
    > XP screen appears, disappears, and the blue screen of
    > death flashes past, too quick to read the error.
    > So my advice is "Save yourselves! Don't do it!"
    > My questions: which F button will stop the blue screen
    > long enough to let those three lines be read?
    > Does it matter which error I have?

    Try:

    Booting in safe mode or booting from the original Windows XP CD. Then see if
    you can run the Event Manager. That might allow you to get at the system
    event logs containing some info on the BSOD you get when booting into SP2 -
    perhaps.

Microsoft Windows XP