SP2 a Disaster

August 31, 2004 8:33:51 AM

Boy, big mistake (for me anyway)! I just went through a
nightmare of upgrading to a bug-ridden Quicken 2005, but
SP2 was even more annoying. I have a high-end 2GHz Dell
(only 512K RAM), and after installing SP2, it was like
someone poured molasses on the OS! The thing was still
Numerous shutdowns & restarts were of no help, so I
uninstalled and am once again at peace with SP1. Don't
know if others are experiencing the same thing, but my
time, a considerable waste I might add, with SP2 was
horrible.

Regards,
Randy

More about : sp2 disaster

August 31, 2004 9:07:22 AM

We used to run the XP OS on a Dell with plenty of drive
space. When it began giving me messages to upgrade to SP2,
I called my personal guru (my teenager) and asked if it
was advisable. She loaded and installed it, and we have
not been able to use the Dell with the Windows boot ever
since.
When I try, everything takes a little longer. The Windows
XP screen appears, disappears, and the blue screen of
death flashes past, too quick to read the error.
So my advice is "Save yourselves! Don't do it!"
My questions: which F button will stop the blue screen
long enough to let those three lines be read?
Does it matter which error I have?

I have been reading about the "Last Known Good
Configuration" - no good, F8 doesn't work - and
the "Recovery Console," which I am about to try, as soon
as I read up.
Wish me luck.

August 31, 2004 11:44:35 AM

Randy, I sympathise. You should get rid of the bugs completely as it would
appear that your machine should accept SP2 with no problems. I've posted
the stuff below so many times....
Get a firewall and a good anti-virus programme up and running!!

A repeat of another post I made
To deal with issues caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
"spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Smiley Central, Xupiter,
Bonzai Buddy, or KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately
(but without understanding the consequences) installed, two free products
that are quite effective (at finding and removing this type of
scumware) are Ad-Aware SE from http://www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search &
Destroy from http://www.safer-networking.org/ . Both have free versions.
It's even possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your
system against most future intrusions. You could also use McAfee's free
Stinger removal tool available at http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ I use all
and generally
perform manual scans every day or so to clean out cookies, etc.
Browser HiJack blaster is another excellent free product which just sits
there guarding your PC available at
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/bhblaster.html
Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
varieties of scumware are available here:

PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

More information and assistance is available at these sites:

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The Parasite Fight
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Invest in a good firewall and virus protection

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
"Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Boy, big mistake (for me anyway)! I just went through a
> nightmare of upgrading to a bug-ridden Quicken 2005, but
> SP2 was even more annoying. I have a high-end 2GHz Dell
> (only 512K RAM), and after installing SP2, it was like
> someone poured molasses on the OS! The thing was still
> Numerous shutdowns & restarts were of no help, so I
> uninstalled and am once again at peace with SP1. Don't
> know if others are experiencing the same thing, but my
> time, a considerable waste I might add, with SP2 was
> horrible.
>
> Regards,
> Randy

Related resources
August 31, 2004 12:28:42 PM

Try clicking Pause/Break. When these disasters happen there has to be an
underlying reason, the system must be compromised in the first place.

--
"Gail" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We used to run the XP OS on a Dell with plenty of drive
> space. When it began giving me messages to upgrade to SP2,
> I called my personal guru (my teenager) and asked if it
> was advisable. She loaded and installed it, and we have
> not been able to use the Dell with the Windows boot ever
> since.
> When I try, everything takes a little longer. The Windows
> XP screen appears, disappears, and the blue screen of
> death flashes past, too quick to read the error.
> So my advice is "Save yourselves! Don't do it!"
> My questions: which F button will stop the blue screen
> long enough to let those three lines be read?
> Does it matter which error I have?
>
> I have been reading about the "Last Known Good
> Configuration" - no good, F8 doesn't work - and
> the "Recovery Console," which I am about to try, as soon
> as I read up.
> Wish me luck.

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 12:28:43 PM

Thanks, Peter, but the Pause/Break button did not work.
Neither will the Recovery Console - apparently I'm not set
up to boot from the disk drive.
The blue screen says
STOP error (lots of zeros)0135 unable to locate component
and two other lines.

All the fixes I have seen on the Windows website
start "click on the Start button," only I have not seen
that Start button since downloading SP2.

Microsoft said SP2 would solve all my problems(even though
I hadn't noticed any), but instead it crashed my system.
On top of that, there seems to be no info for how to fix
it, other than the obvious one of reinstall XP. Even I
knew that one at once, but my guru thinks there must be a
better way.

Luckily the Linux boot works just fine.
In the end, I'm fairly sure we will reinstall XP. Its too
bad about the lost info, but I have better things to do
than tear out my hair.

August 31, 2004 7:00:06 PM

Hi Peter--

The "bugs" I was referring to were with Quicken 2005, not
in general.

I've been running ZoneAlarm Pro & Norton Antivirus 2004
for some time. Believe me, my system is "bug" free.

--Randy

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 8:18:23 PM

"Gail" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We used to run the XP OS on a Dell with plenty of drive
> space. When it began giving me messages to upgrade to SP2,
> I called my personal guru (my teenager) and asked if it
> was advisable. She loaded and installed it, and we have
> not been able to use the Dell with the Windows boot ever
> since.
> When I try, everything takes a little longer. The Windows
> XP screen appears, disappears, and the blue screen of
> death flashes past, too quick to read the error.
> So my advice is "Save yourselves! Don't do it!"
> My questions: which F button will stop the blue screen
> long enough to let those three lines be read?
> Does it matter which error I have?

Try:

Booting in safe mode or booting from the original Windows XP CD. Then see if
you can run the Event Manager. That might allow you to get at the system
event logs containing some info on the BSOD you get when booting into SP2 -
perhaps.
August 31, 2004 9:24:18 PM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 05:07:22 -0700, "Gail"

>We used to run the XP OS on a Dell with plenty of drive
>space. When it began giving me messages to upgrade to SP2,
>I called my personal guru (my teenager) and asked if it
>was advisable. She loaded and installed it, and we have
>not been able to use the Dell with the Windows boot ever
>since.
>When I try, everything takes a little longer. The Windows
>XP screen appears, disappears, and the blue screen of
>death flashes past, too quick to read the error.
>So my advice is "Save yourselves! Don't do it!"
>My questions: which F button will stop the blue screen
>long enough to let those three lines be read?
>Does it matter which error I have?
>
>I have been reading about the "Last Known Good
>Configuration" - no good, F8 doesn't work - and
>the "Recovery Console," which I am about to try, as soon
>as I read up.
> Wish me luck.

Perhaps you put too much trust in your personal guru? :-)

We have two Dell 4550 with WinXP and SP2 installed and have no
problems.

Have you thought of uninstalling SP2 to see if that solves the
problem?
August 31, 2004 9:25:41 PM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:18:46 -0700,

>Luckily the Linux boot works just fine.

Probably installing Linux was the beginning of your problems

>In the end, I'm fairly sure we will reinstall XP. Its too
>bad about the lost info, but I have better things to do
>than tear out my hair.

September 1, 2004 12:09:05 AM

I respectfully submit that "something" is seriously amiss in
your system, whether it's apparent or not. ZA and NAV are a
good start, but I bet you're full of adware, some of it
being dastardly, beyond just keystroke logging and internet
snooping.
Either get rid of the adware or "clean install" XP,
update it fully, and THEN do SP2 again. You'll be glad yuou
did in the end, especially when SP3 comes along. Get rid of
adware with Adaware, Spybot S&D and whatever other ones you
take a liking to. One will not do it - there's too much out
there.

Pop

"Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3bd501c48fa5$e01d7820$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi Peter--
>
> The "bugs" I was referring to were with Quicken 2005, not
> in general.
>
> I've been running ZoneAlarm Pro & Norton Antivirus 2004
> for some time. Believe me, my system is "bug" free.
>
> --Randy

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 10:18:09 AM

You need to access the BIOS, to change the boot set up first. When you
re-boot press "delete" and when you enter the BIOS, navigate to "Advanced
User" and press enter. You'll then see a list of options and set your CD
(CDRom) to first boot. and enter. Save settings and leave. You should now be
able to boot from your Windows XP disc.
Roy Price

!