Intels new core architecture

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, judging by what I see, I honestly believe that Conroe will improve in the performance arena by a wide margin. Still won't know till it comes out and we can see some real world benchmarks though.

Mind_Rebuilding

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
Yeah, judging by what I see, I honestly believe that Conroe will improve in the performance arena by a wide margin. Still won't know till it comes out and we can see some real world benchmarks though.

Intel does not lie on the performance of Conroe to become 40% more clock per clock to Presler.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, I really think this conroe thing is gonna surprise all of us. If its up to 40% more performance over the current preslers, then WOW. I've got my hopes up.

Mind_Rebuilding

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
Yeah, I really think this conroe thing is gonna surprise all of us. If its up to 40% more performance over the current preslers, then WOW. I've got my hopes up.

So, most of the hardware critics say "It will be interesting to see how Cornoe fight with Windsor."

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1146

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2711

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2712

Intel is stating up to a 40% increase in performance while a decrease up to 40% in power. If that's true, that's amazing.
I don't trust statistics at all.
You can say 40% increase in performance and 40% decrease in power, but I mean, come on, look at the P4! How can you not make it more efficient? :p It reminds me of sales - 50% off, but it was so high to begin with, now it might actually be worth it...

But I can't wait for Conroe to come too. I can finally build another intel machine after waiting 6 yrs. :D

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Conroe is looking great but the Woodcrest jump seems well undescribeable. 80 %? Holly sh.. ! 80 % is god bless but very much needed considering Opterons are currently way ahead.

Mind_Rebuilding

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
Conroe is looking great but the Woodcrest jump seems well undescribeable. 80 %? Holly sh.. ! 80 % is god bless but very much needed considering Opterons are currently way ahead.

The major reason is that Xeon series are highly bandwidth-deficient.
For Woodcrest, employing multiple CPU to Northbridge buses and higher bandwidth per bus helps a lot.

But still K8's Direct Connect Architecture is superior.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Also forgot to add that it has 64-bit support as well. Forgot about the pipes but yeah a faster bus is just faster speeds.

I have both a 2.0GHz Core Duo and a 2.0GHz Merom processor sitting on my desk. Waiting for a new heatsink to use the Merom processor to load Vista February CTP on it. The heatsink Intel sends with these things sucks and is a bitch to get on. Resulted in me breaking part of the heatsink trying to get it on. Waiting for a new one.

Say I'm full of sh*t on that statement but they're still sitting there.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well, the Xeons are so far behind that this new core should bring it closer to the forefront. I don't know about 80% but i'm sure it will be a big jump.

It seems as if the server/business side of things is where they want to really get a jump on performance. AMD has and still does have a superior server chip. We'll see how Intel plays against the Opteron though.

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
But I can't wait for Conroe to come too. I can finally build another intel machine after waiting 6 yrs. :D

Its been 6 yrs since you have had an Intel machine? hell that would put you back at 2000 with Pentium 3s and we all know that AMD was kicking their ass with Athlon....however the Northwood core is my absolute favorite intel core atm.........gave Athlon XP a spankin until Athlon 64 came out..

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well, I have a 630 scotty machine and its really a good performer. Can't complain about it and it runs cool. Its still no where near as zippy as my opty machine is and that in itself, says alot for AMD considering what the clock speeds are of both.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
It wouldn't be fair right now since Conroe still isn't available to the market. But if it's 40% better than Pentium D well that gives more credibility to the "20% more performance than AMD" statement cause right now X2 at most about 15% better than a pentium D(excluding gaming).

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Y,finally Intel is back on track! This time on the right path. It will be interesting seeing Intel using a performance clock rather than brute force.
Untill now Intel has been taking the long way(Netburst,at first it was acceptable then the road become full of twists and turns) AMD the shortcut. Now they are both on the same straight line with AMD somewhat ahead. This year will be interesting indeed.