Using Cell Phone as Modem (K700i)

October 1, 2004 12:57:25 AM

I can't seem to get a connection between my Ipaq 2100 and Sony Ericsson
K700i. I can link the phone and PDA easily and it does all that but I can't
dial up my ISP.

Any advice?

martin

---

More about : cell phone modem k700i

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 1:19:19 AM

martcol wrote:
> I can't seem to get a connection between my Ipaq 2100 and Sony
> Ericsson K700i. I can link the phone and PDA easily and it does all
> that but I can't dial up my ISP.
>
> Any advice?
>
> martin

is your sim enabled for data calls?

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 8:46:38 AM

There is a bug in the latest firmware R2L of the K700(i).

To get it working, add a 'Z' in the 'Extra dial-string modem commands'
dialog on the PocketPC. You don't need to put "AT" in front as the
PocketPC does that autmotically.

ATZ does a reset of any modem to factory defaults.

Regards,
Shane.

"martcol" <martcol@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I can't seem to get a connection between my Ipaq 2100 and Sony Ericsson
> K700i. I can link the phone and PDA easily and it does all that but I
> can't
> dial up my ISP.
>
> Any advice?
>
> martin
>

> ---
October 1, 2004 10:45:49 AM

"martcol" <martcol@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<#GttReypEHA.1960@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> I can't seem to get a connection between my Ipaq 2100 and Sony Ericsson
> K700i. I can link the phone and PDA easily and it does all that but I can't
> dial up my ISP.

Your service provider has to enable data calling on your account.
Some, like AT&T Wireless in the USA, don't support direct dialing of
an ISP (to make a long story short, no digital cellphone actually has
a "modem" in it- they just have the ability to send/receive data
to/from the wireless provider who must use a modem at their end to
make the dialup connection for you.)
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 12:33:12 PM

Also make sure that the phone is set up for "gsm and gprs". My sony ericsson
was set for "gsm only" and I couldn't connect. You'll likely end up dialing
*99# and like Todd said, make sure you have a data connect service purchased
for your phone.
1. turn on bluetooth (BT) for the phone
2. turn on BT for the Ipaq
3. double click the "dial-up" function you made in the BT manager
4. select the connection to be used by BT (which includes the *99# "phone
number")
5. once the connection icon in the Ipaq changes color to signify connection,
open Internet Explorer and surf.

Mike R.

"martcol" <martcol@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I can't seem to get a connection between my Ipaq 2100 and Sony Ericsson
> K700i. I can link the phone and PDA easily and it does all that but I
can't
> dial up my ISP.
>
> Any advice?
>
> martin
>

> ---

February 8, 2005 5:49:55 AM

I am using a Nokia 6230 (Cingular service) and it shows it connects
through AT&T. I can get my 2415 Ipaq to connect and dial my Nokia, but
no matter what option of phone numbers I try I get an error tone after
the call is made. What exactly must I do to get an internet connectuion
through? Also can I use my ISP (earthlink) or must I uses Cingulars system?

Thanks
John

Todd Allcock wrote:
> "martcol" <martcol@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<#GttReypEHA.1960@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
>
>>I can't seem to get a connection between my Ipaq 2100 and Sony Ericsson
>>K700i. I can link the phone and PDA easily and it does all that but I can't
>>dial up my ISP.
>

> Your service provider has to enable data calling on your account.
> Some, like AT&T Wireless in the USA, don't support direct dialing of
> an ISP (to make a long story short, no digital cellphone actually has
> a "modem" in it- they just have the ability to send/receive data
> to/from the wireless provider who must use a modem at their end to
> make the dialup connection for you.)
February 8, 2005 11:10:02 AM

I have an axim 5 and I use my nokia 6600 (t-mobile) as a modem (via
bluetooth) to surf the internet I just dial a local number and as far as I
get a good signal I don't have any problems at all. I got a very relible
internet service from the following site:

http://www.budgetdialup.com/html/prod.htm try it, it is very good. The
internet plan I have is prepaid so, no montly payments, no montly surprises.
:)  and the minutes never expires.

JC

!