Clovertown Quad Core - 8

Is the author assuming that the system is a dual socket quad core machine? Don't forget that hyperthreaded processors show twice as many cores as they actually have in Windows. . .

But if it is what the author says it is that's pretty freaking cool! Imagine how many proteins your could fold with 8 cores chugging away.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Wow that is crazy dual socket boards that supports 8 cores! Is there gonna be a game board makers that would support dual socket and SLI?

Man, the benchmark would blow my score like its' nothing! 8O

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I don't think I will EVER need more than 2 graphics cards for any reason.
However, since the CPUs are contained in one big chip, I can see myself having 2 or more CPUs on the mobo.

Anyone know if there was ever talk about having a graphic card on a chip like some notebooks do? I think the RAM on the card is the limiting factor.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
From what I have seen, its not a true quad core system, but rather two seperate Dual cores on one chip. Very similar to their first Dual Implementation. I know it almost seems like splitting hairs, but there is a difference in performance.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I rather see a true quad-core chip.
Even if the performance is the same.

I am not a hardware engineer. But from what little I know, making a true quad-core chip should have some opprotunity for some design optimizations. Where as 2 or 4 seperate (independent) cores on one die is not intended to function as a multi-core die.

I assume things like cache is better left seperate to avoid conflicts.

Can someone that really knows about this help me out.
Thanks!

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I rather see a true quad-core chip.
Even if the performance is the same.

I am not a hardware engineer. But from what little I know, making a true quad-core chip should have some opprotunity for some design optimizations. Where as 2 or 4 seperate (independent) cores on one die is not intended to function as a multi-core die.

I assume things like cache is better left seperate to avoid conflicts.

Can someone that really knows about this help me out.
Thanks!

I DO know about this stuff, my degree is as a hardware engineer, though its been years since I have worked with hardware design. You are right. Your intercommunications are faster with a true quad core, and the cache should be seperate or you gain the overhead of having to avoid conflicts.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I was reading up on Core features a bit, and I take back what I said about the cache. The Core Architecture will use a shared cache system with an optimized scheduler to avoid collisions. Not real sure how this will affect performance.