IDE DVD burner using a IDE-to-sata connector

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi there, I'm thinking of buying an IDE-toSata connector so i can plug my IDE DVD-burner into a sata port so i can free up an IDE port. Will the drive have any problems like this?

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
problems like it slowing down the burning speed, burning coasters, just causing anything that would prevent me from burning stuff as normal.

Problems like what?

You should'nt have any problems at all. Go for it.

zyzplasmaz

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
while i dont recommend it, it should work
it does adds an additional bottle neck to the system and the performance WILL NOT improve. it will either be similiar or worst, not the same. the drive will still be bottleneck by the IDE connection.
the better question is why do you need to do that?
are you planning to have 4 hd? and even then you should get a SATA hd instead if you get additional drives. motherboards normally have 4IDE channels and that should be more then enough.
even if you have 2 burners, 2hd it should be fine. if you need additional, use the SATA for hd.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
i want to do this cause i want to have two IDE HDDs and use raid0 or raid1 on them. when it comes to raid, you should only have one HDD per IDE channel.

while i dont recommend it, it should work
it does adds an additional bottle neck to the system and the performance WILL NOT improve. it will either be similiar or worst, not the same. the drive will still be bottleneck by the IDE connection.
the better question is why do you need to do that?
are you planning to have 4 hd? and even then you should get a SATA hd instead if you get additional drives. motherboards normally have 4IDE channels and that should be more then enough.
even if you have 2 burners, 2hd it should be fine. if you need additional, use the SATA for hd.

"...Hi there, I'm thinking of buying an IDE-toSata connector "

I personally had not even heard of such adapters yet...; would obviously be more than a mere connector adapter, considering the PATA to SATA data conversion....

FlyGuy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
This test was done on a Mac but I don't see why it would be that much different on a PC. There was actually a nice, little improvement!

http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/ide-sata/

bombasschicken

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
actually why wouldn't he want to do that? sata cables are soo much cleaner than ide... ive got 8 hd's (lots of video editing.. i mean ALOT) and 2 cd burners.. only 2 sata ports on my mobo.. that means 2 sata cables all clean and wrapped, and 4 ide cables that are all twisted and ugly looking.. even the rounded cables look like crap because how they fit in the box.. if i could go all sata i would.. (too bad my case wont support it) being someone who needs alot of attention to detail, i like my case being clean.. and i cant wait till sata overruns ide.. it really does look alot better...

just my thoughts...