Epson 1290 (1280) Black Ink Problem

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

I have been having a recurring problem with the Black Cartridges in my 1290.

When the cartridge gets down to about 2 thirds empty, according to the Print
Monitor dialogue, a number of the nozzles stop working, and quite often it
looks as if no Black is being applied to the paper at all.

Even after repeated Head Cleaning, the Test Pattern shows some missing
nozzles. After each Cleaning some of the missing nozzles seem to be working
again, but some of the others have stopped working. I have of course tried
Emailing Epson Technical Services, but the replies were less than helpfull.

Last night I took the Cartridge out, to see if there was any problem with
the Ink Flow, but that was Ok. Instead of replacing it, as I had intended, I
put it back in and ran another nozzle check. All nozzles were delivering
Ink.

They are still all working this morning.

I wonder if perhaps it was an air lock, and if taking the Cartridge out and
giving it a shake might be the answer. Or could it be that a little bit of
the Plastic Seal over the Ink Outlet was obstructing the Ink Flow.

I have never had any similar problems with the Colour Cartridges.

Would any of the more technically skilled Gurus be able to advise?

Roy

roy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003

"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have been having a recurring problem with the Black Cartridges in my
>1290.

Thanks, and a Merry Christmas, Art.

I am glad to say that the Cartridge is still supplying ink to all the
Nozzles.

Your explanation is very helpfull, and it looks as if my idea of giving it a
bit of a shake, was not so bad after all..

I will Email you for your Cleaning Manual, as soon as the Festivities and
Enforced Party Going is finished, and I can get back to doing my digital
photography.

Roy