Upgrade Recommendations for 9700 PRO

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Performance
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 7, 2006 6:10:03 PM

I have been using my 9700 pro with my athlon 2500_ processor and 1 gig of ram quite nicely up to now. Maxing FEAR, DOOM3 , half life was not that important since I got satisfying performance and quality. Bu now Oblivion is coming and I have to play this one with better quality. So I am going to a pcie system and video card.

Here are my options:

X850XT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102688
for 160$ I think this is an awesome deal.

7800GT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130256
265$ I guess a good value for the performance. If HDR bothers me too much Iwill go with this one.

I eliminated 6800 series since 6800gs is slower, 6800 ultra is nearly as much as 7800gt. I know these cards also support HDR, sm3 but definitely 6800gs does not give satisfying performance when this feature is enabled, 6800 ultra is fine but as I said it seems overpriced.

I am going to buy the card in the 1-2nd weeks of april. For the money X850XT seems very nice(leaving me room for motherboard upgrade). But hdr may be a problem in the future. Is it a good upgrade for 9700pro?
BTW I read that the HDR effects in oblivion will also be seen with the cards supporting 2.0b hence hardware support is not necessary(I may be wrong).

So what are your suggestions?

Thanks

More about : upgrade recommendations 9700 pro

March 7, 2006 7:10:21 PM

Either card is a huge leap above the 9700 PRO (which will still play the newest games with reduced detail really nicely, BTW. Have one in my second computer).

But my friend... if Oblivion is your target, then go PCI-express for sure and skip everything below a 7800 GT or X1800 XL. The X850 XT won't support the niftiest and tastiest visual features a game like that will offer, and it's not worth putting that money into your AthlonXP platform.

It's one of the first games that an advanced SM 3.0 card is a 'must have' to really experience, from what I've seen.

Your best bet might be to get a cheaper Athlon64 socket 939 processor (like a 3200) and a cheap mobo like the Asrock 939dual-SATA2 that has BOTH AGP and PCI-express graphics slots... this will let you use your 9700 PRO for a while, but has a PCI-express slot for future expandability.

Use your old RAM and sell your old MOBO. Then save up for a videocard, new cards are right around the corner and there will be the requisite price dropping of the old guard. X1800 XL's and 7800 GTs might be dropping quite a bit soon, and there are other cards on the doorstep that will do Oblivion much better justice than an X850 XT.
March 7, 2006 7:14:08 PM

Quote:
The X850 XT won't support the niftiest and tastiest visual features a game like that will offer

But the 7800GS will, and is generally faster than the X850XT if you buy one of the 440 or 460MHz cards.
Related resources
March 7, 2006 7:16:35 PM

I think there is a misunderstanding here.

I am also upgrading my system to a socket 939 PCIE motherboard and probably a venice 3200+. That is why I am looking for a PCIE card.

(At first I was just thinking of looking at an AGP video card upgrade but definitely the choices are very few and expensive. 7800GS was a good choice but definitely 300$ was a lot and I can buy a motherboard and X850XT for less.)
March 7, 2006 7:40:08 PM

Yeah, I understand, just offering options. And you're right, the 7800 GS isn't worth the cost.

My advice remains the same though. If oblivion is one of the reason's you're upgrading, don't settle for less than a 7800 GT or X1800 XL. In fact, wait until the game is reviewed and the benchmarks are out... it may really favor one architecture over another.

Shouldn't be more than a couple weeks before the Oblivion benches show up.
March 7, 2006 7:53:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I understand, just offering options. And you're right, the 7800 GS isn't worth the cost.

My advice remains the same though. If oblivion is one of the reason's you're upgrading, don't settle for less than a 7800 GT or X1800 XL. In fact, wait until the game is reviewed and the benchmarks are out... it may really favor one architecture over another.

Shouldn't be more than a couple weeks before the Oblivion benches show up.

Thanks. In terms of quality I was also thinking the same cards as you but since there is 110$ difference with X850XT seemed more reasonable overall.

I will wait for the release as you suggested. But I will have little time then (1 or 2 weeks) since my friend is coming from US. on 27th, have to purchase it until 15th or so.
Do you think there will be a price drop(hope not an increase)?
March 7, 2006 8:05:43 PM

Price drops... a little too soon for that.

But at least benches will be out, that's the important thing. Who knows? Maybe the X850 kicks oblivion ass.