Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Folks at DailyTech say they already benched Woodcrest against Opterons.
35% higher performance, 5% lower power consumption now THAT is good for a CPU running on a beta-platform.

Heck, I wont buy a server CPU anyway, I just need those Conroe and Merom benches :lol:

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Folks at DailyTech say they already benched Woodcrest against Opterons.
35% higher performance, 5% lower power consumption now THAT is good for a CPU running on a beta-platform.

Heck, I wont buy a server CPU anyway, I just need those Conroe and Merom benches :lol:

Even if the "folks at DailyTech" benched it, 2 things wrong with this:

1) You're comparing DDR1 to DDR2 FB-DIMM

2) It took Intel 2 years to meet/beat the A64 architecture? How sad. AMD is planning next Architecture next year to beat Intel, took less than 1 year, now you tell me who the better company is?

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
*lol* Now that Intel is using the better memory type for those benches, its the end of the world, but err... who was using the CLEARLY faster memory the past 2 years? And uhm... who did care about that?

Dont be pathetic man...
Everything comes to an end. Opterons are beaten. But dont worry, in 2 years or so a new line of Opterons will launch that might take the crown again, then new Xeons, then new Opterons, then new Xeons, then new Opterons, then new Xeons...

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
*lol* Now that Intel is using the better memory type for those benches, its the end of the world, but err... who was using the CLEARLY faster memory the past 2 years? And uhm... who did care about that?

Dont be pathetic man...
Everything comes to an end. Opterons are beaten. But dont worry, in 2 years or so a new line of Opterons will launch that might take the crown again, then new Xeons, then new Opterons, then new Xeons, then new Opterons, then new Xeons...

Thanks for posting incorrect information, that gained you a point! :D

FUGGER: 6
sepheronx: 2
CompGeek: 4
Ycon: 1
Apache_Lives: 4
ak47is1337: 3

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
The funniest thing from that article is that Intel says they've beat Opteron using Intel's own benchmarks.

Let's not forget that they're comparing what AMD has now. They're excluding socket F totally.

35% higher performance
yeah, sure. Only in Intel's wet dreams. :lol:

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
The funniest thing from that article is that Intel says they've beat Opteron using Intel's own benchmarks.

Let's not forget that they're comparing what AMD has bow to offer. They're excluding socket F totally.

35% higher performance
yeah, sure. Only in Intel's wet dreams. :lol:

Careful what you say, an Intel Fanboy might repost abuse on you as someone did with me, he must be too baby and couldn't handle text on a website.

Topic: 35% performance gain? In what? Opening calc.exe? LOL

Andrzej_Pl

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2005
It's funny....really :)
I don't really care who is having better CPUs ATM, intel or amd. All I care it's me (and any other consumer) who is winning.

Why? because now as Intel has new CPUs that will beat current AMD chips, then AMD will devise something more powerful...then Intel will try to beat AMD again. All we will get will be new CPUs and good prices. Otherwise we would still be stuck with PII 160 MMX. Or that crap K6-2 series which couldn't work (oh yes, you all AMD fanboys, I was having series of K6-2 that couldn't run any game, and everything I tried to run was coming with error messages, so I switched to Celeron)

Oh...and don't also call me Intel fanboy. From P III 800 I switched to Athlon 1,4 ghz, then to PIV 2,4 Northwood and now I'm on A64

But...it just proves the point that any market needs serious competition to bring innovations. And I'm happy that Intel made really something good...for AMD will have to respond, and not just with socket change that will bring like 5% improvement (cuz that's what Inntel was doing with chipsets, aand that lead them into dead end street)

So I don't care which company stays on the top, as long as I can get good CPUs. And you all fanboys may just kill each other with a teaspoon over which company rule. :) Cuz I will choose by my wallet and sheer performance, and not by any sentiments.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Most people on these forums tend to forget this. I agree 100% really but there will always be brand wars,AMD vs Intel being just one of them.

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006

Dont be pathetic man...

Mike, you gotta do up a webpage for those scores :lol: Call it the "Ultimate Idiot Fanboy" Benchmark :p

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
LOL every one of you are dy humping AMD , i love AMD but if intel can produce a chip that preforms better then AMD then good. thats good for the market, and BETTER for the consumer. if this chip is better then any amd then good :) im happy cause it forces AMD's card "if they have one" but yet amd is waiting on DDR2 which tests show isnt that much of a increase in realworld performance.

The Socket AM2 is a generation change that is becoming increasingly necessary for the sake of supporting memory that will be mainstream in mid-2006 and into 2007. It won't change the performance landscape by much, unless AMD decides to make some fundamental changes to the architecture such as upgrading the FX to 4 MB cache.

read that remember DDR2 for the future what a paid PRO said about DDR2 it makes little to NO difference

this is the link http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/21/a_look_at_amds_socket_am2_platform/page13.html

i run a A64 3800 i love that chip but i wont diss a P4 over it, each have there advantages.

AMD is a good company BUT this fan boy stuff really needs to stop

madmodmike your the worst of ALL OF THEM get a life and move out of your parents basement. god you must jack off to pics of x2 4800 every night. Your total lack to knowledge and insite is sad, please continue to amuse us trained professionals because your posts are a real hit around the office. P.S i work for adobe and alot of the IT guys along with myself have loves the total BS you type, please keep it up it makes our days interesting

nuff said

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
P.S i have seen the new AM2 and the offerings from intel " Conroe , Woodcrest " and i can say over 80 percent of out beta testers use the new Woodcrest processor, its still in pre fab form but it outpreforms all of the opterons we have up there. Please due note that we are testing the opteron 885 and i cant comment on how it preforms since AMD was late getting us this chip and out tests are not complete. From what we hear there being produce in there new fab site which saw setbacks that AMD would not disclose.

These two chips should clash heads for the next couple years from what i have seen seen so far, but from early tests the Intel is ahead in actual numbers and in the beta testers minds.

but then agian im not madmodmike and dont work in the industry

Dont be pathetic man...

it took amd years to release the hammer architecture to beat the P4 (especially the C) - what you talkin bout?

Conroe / Woodcrest / Merom took more of a leap then any AMD.

MMM what happend to my all time high score?

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
That would be nice for him, cause he would be well off which is kinda logical considering that noone really wants to record all of the cr***ed bullshit he talks all day.

Oh and btw, any1 noticed Mike hasnt posted a single reply since yesterday? :lol:

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
It's funny....really :)
I don't really care who is having better CPUs ATM, intel or amd. All I care it's me (and any other consumer) who is winning.

Why? because now as Intel has new CPUs that will beat current AMD chips, then AMD will devise something more powerful...then Intel will try to beat AMD again. All we will get will be new CPUs and good prices. Otherwise we would still be stuck with PII 160 MMX. Or that crap K6-2 series which couldn't work (oh yes, you all AMD fanboys, I was having series of K6-2 that couldn't run any game, and everything I tried to run was coming with error messages, so I switched to Celeron)

Oh...and don't also call me Intel fanboy. From P III 800 I switched to Athlon 1,4 ghz, then to PIV 2,4 Northwood and now I'm on A64

But...it just proves the point that any market needs serious competition to bring innovations. And I'm happy that Intel made really something good...for AMD will have to respond, and not just with socket change that will bring like 5% improvement (cuz that's what Inntel was doing with chipsets, aand that lead them into dead end street)

So I don't care which company stays on the top, as long as I can get good CPUs. And you all fanboys may just kill each other with a teaspoon over which company rule. :) Cuz I will choose by my wallet and sheer performance, and not by any sentiments.
czesz andrej mowis po polsku

DrGadget

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Notice the article didn't say it was 33% better. It said UP TO 33% better*.

* Results not typical. Actual mileage may vary. Offer not valid in NY, AK, or Puerto Rico. California residents add 6% sales tax. Not recommended for women who are pregnant or men over 50 with heart disease. Principal is not insured. Intel is not responsible for any damage caused by floods or earthquakes. Side effects include dizzyness, nausea, sexual side effects, vomiting, headaches, and mild amputation. Check with your doctor to see if Intel is right for you.

rippleyaliens

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Me personally, i hope INTEL whips AMD..
REASON why, is for the last 2 years, intel has dont nothing but sit on its but, while amd has been pumping out , in my opinion some truely awesome products.

Intel Felt the heat and they responded. The fire intel will put on AMD, will in fact motivate AMD to produce even Better products..

But the ultimate goal, is, that ME i say again ME, i / WE get good products on a more serious platform, FASTER.
I grow tired of waiting on new stuff. From both of those companies. Almost as bad as the GPU wars...

with them duking it out, means, that the price of the cpu's come down , and down, and down.. IE better for ME you, and well, that is about it, lol

Notice the article didn't say it was 33% better. It said UP TO 33% better*.

* Results not typical. Actual mileage may vary. Offer not valid in NY, AK, or Puerto Rico. California residents add 6% sales tax. Not recommended for women who are pregnant or men over 50 with heart disease. Principal is not insured. Intel is not responsible for any damage caused by floods or earthquakes. Side effects include dizzyness, nausea, sexual side effects, vomiting, headaches, and mild amputation. Check with your doctor to see if Intel is right for you.

Yeah and conroe said 20% faster, and thats comparing a 2.66 to an AMD 2.8 and its more then 40% quicker in half the apps there.

Ratbait

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Mad is studing to be an MS Cert. Tech. At the Medina County Career Center in Ohio (Vo-Tech for those who need to know). As Mad would say Google it.

If you think its worth aguing with him go ahead and knock your brains out. I don't.