Your question

Woodcrest vs. AMD

Last response: in CPUs
March 7, 2006 6:11:56 PM

Up to 33% more performance and less power according to Intel

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1148

More about : woodcrest amd

March 7, 2006 6:21:45 PM

Folks at DailyTech say they already benched Woodcrest against Opterons.
35% higher performance, 5% lower power consumption now THAT is good for a CPU running on a beta-platform.

Heck, I wont buy a server CPU anyway, I just need those Conroe and Merom benches :lol: 
Related resources
March 7, 2006 6:23:34 PM

Quote:
35% higher performance, 5% lower power consumption now THAT is good for a CPU running on a beta-platform.

Heck, I wont buy a server CPU anyway, I just need those Conroe and Merom benches :lol: 

Even if the "folks at DailyTech" benched it, 2 things wrong with this:

1) You're comparing DDR1 to DDR2 FB-DIMM

2) It took Intel 2 years to meet/beat the A64 architecture? How sad. AMD is planning next Architecture next year to beat Intel, took less than 1 year, now you tell me who the better company is?

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 7, 2006 6:40:46 PM

*lol* Now that Intel is using the better memory type for those benches, its the end of the world, but err... who was using the CLEARLY faster memory the past 2 years? And uhm... who did care about that?

Dont be pathetic man...
Everything comes to an end. Opterons are beaten. But dont worry, in 2 years or so a new line of Opterons will launch that might take the crown again, then new Xeons, then new Opterons, then new Xeons, then new Opterons, then new Xeons...
March 7, 2006 6:42:10 PM

Quote:
*lol* Now that Intel is using the better memory type for those benches, its the end of the world, but err... who was using the CLEARLY faster memory the past 2 years? And uhm... who did care about that?

Dont be pathetic man...
Everything comes to an end. Opterons are beaten. But dont worry, in 2 years or so a new line of Opterons will launch that might take the crown again, then new Xeons, then new Opterons, then new Xeons, then new Opterons, then new Xeons...

Thanks for posting incorrect information, that gained you a point! :D 

FUGGER: 6
sepheronx: 2
CompGeek: 4
Ycon: 1
Apache_Lives: 4
ak47is1337: 3

March 7, 2006 6:42:33 PM

The funniest thing from that article is that Intel says they've beat Opteron using Intel's own benchmarks.

Let's not forget that they're comparing what AMD has now. They're excluding socket F totally.

Quote:
35% higher performance

yeah, sure. Only in Intel's wet dreams. :lol: 
March 7, 2006 6:42:55 PM

Agreed, Intel is just showing that they finally caught up to AMD.
March 7, 2006 6:45:13 PM

Quote:
The funniest thing from that article is that Intel says they've beat Opteron using Intel's own benchmarks.

Let's not forget that they're comparing what AMD has bow to offer. They're excluding socket F totally.

35% higher performance

yeah, sure. Only in Intel's wet dreams. :lol: 

Careful what you say, an Intel Fanboy might repost abuse on you as someone did with me, he must be too baby and couldn't handle text on a website.

Topic: 35% performance gain? In what? Opening calc.exe? LOL

March 7, 2006 6:52:21 PM

It's funny....really :) 
I don't really care who is having better CPUs ATM, intel or amd. All I care it's me (and any other consumer) who is winning.

Why? because now as Intel has new CPUs that will beat current AMD chips, then AMD will devise something more powerful...then Intel will try to beat AMD again. All we will get will be new CPUs and good prices. Otherwise we would still be stuck with PII 160 MMX. Or that crap K6-2 series which couldn't work (oh yes, you all AMD fanboys, I was having series of K6-2 that couldn't run any game, and everything I tried to run was coming with error messages, so I switched to Celeron)

Oh...and don't also call me Intel fanboy. From P III 800 I switched to Athlon 1,4 ghz, then to PIV 2,4 Northwood and now I'm on A64

But...it just proves the point that any market needs serious competition to bring innovations. And I'm happy that Intel made really something good...for AMD will have to respond, and not just with socket change that will bring like 5% improvement (cuz that's what Inntel was doing with chipsets, aand that lead them into dead end street)

So I don't care which company stays on the top, as long as I can get good CPUs. And you all fanboys may just kill each other with a teaspoon over which company rule. :)  Cuz I will choose by my wallet and sheer performance, and not by any sentiments.
March 7, 2006 6:58:22 PM

Most people on these forums tend to forget this. I agree 100% really but there will always be brand wars,AMD vs Intel being just one of them.
March 7, 2006 7:10:37 PM

Quote:
I agree 100% really but there will always be brand wars

It's all about the IBM Power PC G5 baby!!
March 8, 2006 7:55:20 AM

Quote:

Dont be pathetic man...

Mike, you gotta do up a webpage for those scores :lol:  Call it the "Ultimate Idiot Fanboy" Benchmark :p 
March 8, 2006 8:18:14 AM

LOL every one of you are dy humping AMD , i love AMD but if intel can produce a chip that preforms better then AMD then good. thats good for the market, and BETTER for the consumer. if this chip is better then any amd then good :)  im happy cause it forces AMD's card "if they have one" but yet amd is waiting on DDR2 which tests show isnt that much of a increase in realworld performance.

The Socket AM2 is a generation change that is becoming increasingly necessary for the sake of supporting memory that will be mainstream in mid-2006 and into 2007. It won't change the performance landscape by much, unless AMD decides to make some fundamental changes to the architecture such as upgrading the FX to 4 MB cache.

read that remember DDR2 for the future what a paid PRO said about DDR2 it makes little to NO difference

this is the link http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/21/a_look_at_amds_s...

i run a A64 3800 i love that chip but i wont diss a P4 over it, each have there advantages.

AMD is a good company BUT this fan boy stuff really needs to stop

madmodmike your the worst of ALL OF THEM get a life and move out of your parents basement. god you must jack off to pics of x2 4800 every night. Your total lack to knowledge and insite is sad, please continue to amuse us trained professionals because your posts are a real hit around the office. P.S i work for adobe and alot of the IT guys along with myself have loves the total BS you type, please keep it up it makes our days interesting

nuff said
March 8, 2006 8:35:24 AM

P.S i have seen the new AM2 and the offerings from intel " Conroe , Woodcrest " and i can say over 80 percent of out beta testers use the new Woodcrest processor, its still in pre fab form but it outpreforms all of the opterons we have up there. Please due note that we are testing the opteron 885 and i cant comment on how it preforms since AMD was late getting us this chip and out tests are not complete. From what we hear there being produce in there new fab site which saw setbacks that AMD would not disclose.

These two chips should clash heads for the next couple years from what i have seen seen so far, but from early tests the Intel is ahead in actual numbers and in the beta testers minds.

but then agian im not madmodmike and dont work in the industry
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2006 10:16:52 AM

Quote:

Dont be pathetic man...

it took amd years to release the hammer architecture to beat the P4 (especially the C) - what you talkin bout?

Conroe / Woodcrest / Merom took more of a leap then any AMD.

MMM what happend to my all time high score?
March 8, 2006 12:20:15 PM

That would be nice for him, cause he would be well off which is kinda logical considering that noone really wants to record all of the cr***ed bullshit he talks all day.

Oh and btw, any1 noticed Mike hasnt posted a single reply since yesterday? :lol: 
March 8, 2006 12:36:53 PM

Quote:
It's funny....really :) 
I don't really care who is having better CPUs ATM, intel or amd. All I care it's me (and any other consumer) who is winning.

Why? because now as Intel has new CPUs that will beat current AMD chips, then AMD will devise something more powerful...then Intel will try to beat AMD again. All we will get will be new CPUs and good prices. Otherwise we would still be stuck with PII 160 MMX. Or that crap K6-2 series which couldn't work (oh yes, you all AMD fanboys, I was having series of K6-2 that couldn't run any game, and everything I tried to run was coming with error messages, so I switched to Celeron)

Oh...and don't also call me Intel fanboy. From P III 800 I switched to Athlon 1,4 ghz, then to PIV 2,4 Northwood and now I'm on A64

But...it just proves the point that any market needs serious competition to bring innovations. And I'm happy that Intel made really something good...for AMD will have to respond, and not just with socket change that will bring like 5% improvement (cuz that's what Inntel was doing with chipsets, aand that lead them into dead end street)

So I don't care which company stays on the top, as long as I can get good CPUs. And you all fanboys may just kill each other with a teaspoon over which company rule. :)  Cuz I will choose by my wallet and sheer performance, and not by any sentiments.
czesz andrej mowis po polsku
March 8, 2006 1:06:21 PM

Notice the article didn't say it was 33% better. It said UP TO 33% better*.

* Results not typical. Actual mileage may vary. Offer not valid in NY, AK, or Puerto Rico. California residents add 6% sales tax. Not recommended for women who are pregnant or men over 50 with heart disease. Principal is not insured. Intel is not responsible for any damage caused by floods or earthquakes. Side effects include dizzyness, nausea, sexual side effects, vomiting, headaches, and mild amputation. Check with your doctor to see if Intel is right for you.
March 8, 2006 1:06:48 PM

Me personally, i hope INTEL whips AMD..
REASON why, is for the last 2 years, intel has dont nothing but sit on its but, while amd has been pumping out , in my opinion some truely awesome products.

Intel Felt the heat and they responded. The fire intel will put on AMD, will in fact motivate AMD to produce even Better products..

But the ultimate goal, is, that ME i say again ME, i / WE get good products on a more serious platform, FASTER.
I grow tired of waiting on new stuff. From both of those companies. Almost as bad as the GPU wars...

with them duking it out, means, that the price of the cpu's come down , and down, and down.. IE better for ME you, and well, that is about it, lol
March 8, 2006 1:18:09 PM

This is the song that never ends... yes it goes on and on my friend... some people...

Oh, to hell with it!
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2006 9:01:32 PM

Quote:
Notice the article didn't say it was 33% better. It said UP TO 33% better*.

* Results not typical. Actual mileage may vary. Offer not valid in NY, AK, or Puerto Rico. California residents add 6% sales tax. Not recommended for women who are pregnant or men over 50 with heart disease. Principal is not insured. Intel is not responsible for any damage caused by floods or earthquakes. Side effects include dizzyness, nausea, sexual side effects, vomiting, headaches, and mild amputation. Check with your doctor to see if Intel is right for you.

Yeah and conroe said 20% faster, and thats comparing a 2.66 to an AMD 2.8 and its more then 40% quicker in half the apps there.
March 8, 2006 9:32:16 PM

Quote:

Oh and btw, any1 noticed Mike hasnt posted a single reply since yesterday? :lol: 

well we can only hope that this "FanBoy" get the msg, in that all his BS up to now has not been needed.
March 8, 2006 11:17:48 PM

Mad is studing to be an MS Cert. Tech. At the Medina County Career Center in Ohio (Vo-Tech for those who need to know). As Mad would say Google it.

If you think its worth aguing with him go ahead and knock your brains out. I don't.
March 9, 2006 5:18:19 AM

Quote:

So everyone here is going to argue about whether a future Intel server chip can beat a current AMD server chip that is near the end of its life??

ycon, BTW, there is a new opteron due out early 2007.
March 9, 2006 7:03:01 AM

i must say ..i watched you guys chatting in here ... same i agree same i don`t..the stuff that took my atention ...intel took 2 or 3 years to beat the a64.....this looks like ladies fight...........amd took x years to defeat the p4 and etc etc etc.....the way i see it intel has had goood and bad cpus in his history......idem amd....this is how i see it.......
if it hadn`t been for amd to release a64 we would still have had 478 cpus
if it hadn`t been for the intel to release it`s 775 cpus bad or good as it is we would stiil have had 754 or a64 clawhamers (some reach 90 degrees)
and the story continues i hope

it`s competition my friends...we benefit from it.....i admit when i say i had a sistem and i replaced it with other because it got old and demodated but same of us refuse to believe that his opty or a64 or p4ee or whatever is invincible .. well both intel and amd demonstated that they are not.......peace
March 9, 2006 7:07:25 AM

excuse me boys the topic was woodcrest vr.amd.......the way i see it....woodcrest shows improvement when it cames to dated amd cpus ...we will just have to wait and see .... for future amd cpus how would they compare to conroe, merom and woodcrest ...i`m personaly waiting for the 45nm cpus
March 9, 2006 5:03:06 PM

Quote:
Up to 33% more performance and less power according to Intel

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1148

"According to intel"....
i have another source which suggests otherwise.
http://sharikou.blogspot.com/2006/03/woodcrest-will-be-...

well conroe "according to intel" is 20% quicker then AMD and in most of the apps its more then that

So you'd rather believe any benchmark that proves your point even if it is of dubious reliabilty (based on the fact that it is done by Intel), and ingnore any view that flows counter to that?
March 9, 2006 11:48:08 PM

Anand said he would have one in his lab very soon. I hope they give hime a 3.33 XE.

The thugs here will say he's bias and it's fixed. When it's on the market, owns the ORB, and every other benchmark, the fan bullys will still fork out twices the cash for a CPU that burns twice the power and believe he has the best. I don't hate AMD, but realy hate this crap you nitwitts pull here.
March 10, 2006 1:40:21 AM

Quote:
Anand said he would have one in his lab very soon. I hope they give hime a 3.33 XE.

The thugs here will say he's bias and it's fixed. When it's on the market, owns the ORB, and every other benchmark, the fan bullys will still fork out twices the cash for a CPU that burns twice the power and believe he has the best. I don't hate AMD, but realy hate this crap you nitwitts pull here.

First off, don't lump me in with all these fanboy "nitwits" you are talking about. I am in no way a fanboy, and have not exhibited any fanboy behavior whatsoever.

I am just waiting to see real benchmarks. When Anand and the rest of the sites get their samples and do their benchmarks, then I will beleive what they say. For the Record, I don't think either Anandtech or THG are biased.

My point is that that you seem so desperate for conroe to be better (including taking the name??) that it seems you will accept benchmarks that should be taken with a grain of salt as the truth, since they prove your point.
March 10, 2006 1:46:42 AM

I didn't mean you. You know who I mean. The ones the systematicly ruin evey Intel thread here.

Yes, I do believe the benchmarks. I hope to see more soon. I've been watching Conroe for over a year now and will have one as soon as I can.
March 10, 2006 1:49:55 AM

See, I try to be a little more sleptical than that. I will wait to see what the independant sites say.

Then again, I probably won't buy a conroe anytime soon anyway, since it would require to much investment to scrap my A64. (DDR2 is expensive when you have 2Gb of DDR already)
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2006 5:57:20 AM

Quote:

THIS COMING FOR SOMEONE WHO OWNS AN INTEL? FANBOY!!!!!!

Just kidding :wink: yeah first it was AM2 benchmarks being rigged, or the "its a pre sample so its slow" BS (and the DDR2 667 slow speed flaw which may i say conroe was also using that speed ram with better sucess) and because AM2 let them down now they blame Intel for rigging the benchmarks.

Actually when Conroe comes out AMD will be where they have always been - 2nd best - they have been there most of them time (AthlonXP vs P4 especially P4c, P2 vs K6, P6 vs K63 and K6 etc) - back they go, Intel with there P4 just got lazy.
March 10, 2006 12:13:35 PM

I love how all these posted benchmarks are comparing apples to oranges...Just my 2 cents :wink:
March 10, 2006 12:28:12 PM

This talk aboout woodcrest is very impressive. As it is now AMD does have a good lead in the server end of things. I've never read anything that said Intel could take much of a performance lead there--untill now. I wonder what about the 4P market?

Desktops are much closer now with the 4800+ and 955EE neck and neck, and FX60 top dog. Power consuption is very high with all those CPUs. The THG review of AM2 was a mistake. Funny, it will be out before "Core," but still is not production ready. I belive AM2 may be as much as 10% better than 939 with good DDR2-800. Still this E6700 is just mid-level, not high-end. Intel will have the said 20% lead and may have another 20% sitting in the bank waiting for AMD's next move. I hope AM2 comes out with a surprize so Intel has to play it's whole hand.
March 10, 2006 12:38:19 PM

Quote:
Intel Felt the heat and they responded. The fire intel will put on AMD.....
Yeah they felt Prescott.
March 10, 2006 1:19:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah they felt Prescott. lol prescott lol no intel fanboy can admit that it sucked
March 10, 2006 1:25:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah they felt Prescott.

ROFL, pure genius hahahah

Thats funny, I don't care what kinda fanboy you are.
March 10, 2006 1:44:27 PM

Woodcrest vs. Opteron (on DDR2) will be a very interesting comparison.
Where the Opteron does shine is when the CPU count goes up (e.g. hypertransport comes into play).
I predict that for single process type apps and low CPU count the woodscrest will come out top, however for large parallel type applications (web, ERP, DB) Opteron may still come out on top (4 way and Up).
Sun is coming out with an 8 Socket Opteron board around June time, and the 4 core processors (early 2007) are supposed to drop right in (32 core system, yum, yum).
Intel will need to get off the shared bus architecture to be able to compete. This is not a failing of the CPU, but the bus architecture.
March 10, 2006 1:48:54 PM

hey a question for you all how much wood can woodcrest chuck if woodcrest could chuck wood? :lol: 
March 10, 2006 2:12:06 PM

Quote:
ycon, BTW, there is a new opteron due out early 2007.

Yea... err... that is supposed to tell me what?
March 10, 2006 2:14:38 PM

Quote:
hey a question for you all how much wood can woodcrest chuck if woodcrest could chuck wood? :lol: 

ummm... 0 cus the woodcrest processor is about as fast as... wood =/

Here's one for you... What do you get when you mix a woodcrest with a prescott?
March 10, 2006 3:11:19 PM

This is good, even a nitwitt could understand this guy.
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00929/

The fact is, no level-headed guy that can hold off from biulding a new rig will biuld one now. This is THE time to wait. Both Intel and AMD are hurt by this talking and these benchmarks at the IDF. But I'm not too level-headed about this. My wallet's open and the credit card is out, I just can't find the dang BUY IT NOW button.
March 10, 2006 4:15:36 PM

Some of this debate sounds pointless. If there is no software to take advantage of the 64 bit dual core processors. I would wait till Vista arrives and benchmark the processors within that OS.
March 10, 2006 4:59:38 PM

That's a good article and all, but How many people who are ready to buy a computer now are actually going to wait another 6 months to buy it? I mean you'll old one is crappin out on ya so your ready to get something now. How many people are going to wait and compare AM2 to Conroe or whatever, when their old CPU just died? Going to wait 3-6months just to compare which is better, then decide. I highly doubt it since we all live in a Now society. Everything new built/made/produce is focused around getting whatever it may be here & Now.

Quote:
This is THE time to wait. Both Intel and AMD are hurt by this talking and these benchmarks at the IDF.

Maybe Intel & AMD need to play their cards similar to the video card industry. Keep doors closed on new products until their release date. Nvidia doesn't say anything until the product is released. Of course, there's speculations and leaks, but it's mostly behind closed doors with any real facts.

Never in my life have seen so much flaming though sheesh. Given half of this stuff amuses the crap outta me while i'm work, the whole Intel v.s. AMD is really getting old. But I guess if we didn't flame and choose sides we would have nothing to talk for 6months-years at a time while these companies try and produce new material for us to buy. So like...Umm /rant off

So, I guess if I have to root for someone, I'll be rooting for the underdog (with all the new Conroe speculation) AMD!!! And let me toss in some more fuel for the fire!

The answer to my question!

A campfire! Buhahhahah or maybe a compfire hahah
March 10, 2006 5:12:12 PM

I agree. Like I said, people that can wait should, the others should go get a opti. I'm sick of the senceless falmeing, and aboue all the senceless posts. I like to talk about CPUs. A heated debate is good. Too many here have nothing to bring to the table and just love posting spam filled rubage.

When I was seven my mom ran over the family's dog. He laid in the road blood running out his nose, lifless. I was in shook, saying "it's just a nose bleed" to my older, crying sisters. I went to my grandma's and cryed alone for hours. The AMD boys are like that now, but my dog is dead. AMD just has a nose bleed.
March 10, 2006 5:19:17 PM

I think THG needs to make a new forum just for flaming 8)
March 10, 2006 7:10:31 PM

Think it should be named...

Intel & AMD BBQ - Bring your own thermal grease.
!