Intel regains crown

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
As i predicted. Intel Conroe beats AMD.
Congratulations Intel and keep improving that chip. It beats AMD at its own thing. I now know that it is worth waiting. For now it has surpassed my most optimistic estimation. I am more than impressed. Real tests shall be the definitive factor but this is a awesome start.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
If the test was stupid AT wouldn't have posted it. They have mentioned that AM2 will probably improve over 939 but not by that much. And AT is a very credible certainly non Intel biased site.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
That's right, so what else are they supposed to test it against?

Let us not forget, let's take a look at all of these forums and how everybody bashed even the conroe chips.

Its not a fact of whether or not Intel is using their chips against AMDs current lineup, its about showing us how they stack up and the performance gains they've been able to get out of their lower powered chips.

I'm not against AMD by any means and don't take this the wrong way man because its only my opinion. But, I do like seeing what strides Intel is making with their new lineup.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
If the test was stupid AT wouldn't have posted it. They have mentioned that AM2 will probably improve over 939 but not by that much. And AT is a very credible certainly non Intel biased site.

Well, The test was somewhat stupid, It does compare next gen to this gen. And Intel setup up the benchmarks and the systems.

However, the performance gains are very impressive. Intel looks like they finally realized where to put their research and got things straightened out.

Let me ask you this. We have all seen that you are very pre-disposed to liking Intel. If AnandTech went to the AMD booth, and showed benchmarks that AMD set up which had Socket AM2 beating a Pentium D or Conroe by 20%, would you believe it, or would you wait for the independent benchmarks.

I'd like to actually see an answer, since I know that most biased people tend to ignore questions like that.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
I'd not believe them cause AMD can't put their hands on Conroe. If it's only compared to Pentium D yes i'd believe it since Pentium D is currently beaten by 939 so AM2 would just beat it more.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
From tom's hardware's benchmark on Pentium M I expected that Intel's next generation CPU can out perform AMD's current offering. I hope AMD will have their next generation CPU out soon. Competition is always good for the cunsumers.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I'd not believe them cause AMD can't put their hands on Conroe. If it's only compared to Pentium D yes i'd believe it since Pentium D is currently beaten by 939 so AM2 would just beat it more.

Well, its good to see you be open minded about something.

BTW, Where's Fugger in all this? I Expected he'd be jumping all over this.

Personally, I will probably buy a Dual Core Opteron next, since it won't require any platform/memory changes from what I have now.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
yeah, that's a good call man. I bought my opty because I already had the board and memory for it. I just didn't feel like waiting for the next gens to come out.

xSunnYx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Intel finally stopped being a moronic brand and dropped netburst. period.

Altho i didn't like waiting 6 months for a new rig, so i bought an Opty 170 + Asus A8R32-MVP instead.. Who knos.. maybe Conroe will replace it.. since the performance preview is way better than the preview i seen of AM2 >.<

DragonDoc

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The test was stupid. They tested current gen AMD to a next gen Intel. Where's the comparison? It's unfair. But Intel is making huge improvements, which is good.

Concur - We all need to wait for AMDs next release. Until then everything is still the way it is. But a small thing stuck in my brain a picture showing the AMD Processor as unknown? I'm not accusing anybody of anything but why show that picture? I know it's a BIOS flash issue but you still have to wonder and ponder? :roll:

Now before all the Intel Fans jump on me - I like AMD and Intel. Intel still makes good CPUs. Each company has their bennifits and drawbacks. Lets just compare apples to apples (or oranges to oranges).

Today Intel can enjoy the Day :wink:

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
All you can get from this article is that Intel has done their homework and has made significant gains and has a very hot processor on their hands.

Saying one processor that's not available yet, beats another processor that's not available yet is a little pointless. It sounds more like media buzz to get us geeks drooling like rabid dogs eyeing that maimed squirrel on the road.

This is just hype until some solid testing can be done with both new processors head-to-head.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
heh, yeah, I enjoyed reading the reviews and hopefully, Conroe will make a mark.

I love my opty though and probably won't get rid of it for a long time. I will replace my 630 Prescott machine with a new Intel though. The thing is, those benchmarks were performed with a 2.66Ghz Conroe. Can't wait to see how the 3.0Ghz Conroe EE performs. Should be very interesting.

unreal111

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
well i mentioned this 2 months ago, that Conroe will be a winner.
Think about it am2 will have ddr2 upgrade and conroe on the other hand is a totally diff chip

But intel has the crown for few months. Because if they do beat am2, amd will come up with a totally diff chip maybe by the end of this year, and take the crown back.

peace

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
That is very true man. Intel can only compare to what's available today and until both AM2 and Conroe come out, we just won't know how they will compete.

I'm just happy that Intel has finally made some good things come to life and seems to be headed in the right direction.

unreal111

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
i love this year... after 6 years the battle started all over again.

reminds of the 1GHZ war back in 2000-2001.... you guys remember???

intel will regain the crown.. hmmn can anyone tell me the last time they had it.

Pentium4C owned AMD, the 2400 was quicker then AMD's 3200+ in some benchmarks and thats when i bought my Intel system :cry:

P3's were faster 1/2 the time (both with 10% of each other), the AMDs were hotter and cheaper.

Pentium 2 owned the K6/2/3 series

P6/Pentium Pro owned the original K6 series at the same speeds.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
That is very true man. Intel can only compare to what's available today and until both AM2 and Conroe come out, we just won't know how they will compete.

I'm just happy that Intel has finally made some good things come to life and seems to be headed in the right direction.
Oh my f*cking god, I love you. I can shut dvdpiddy and madmodmike the hell up now!

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
intel will regain the crown.. hmmn can anyone tell me the last time they had it.

Pentium4C owned AMD, the 2400 was quicker then AMD's 3200+ in some benchmarks and thats when i bought my Intel system :cry:

OH NO! You just opened Pandora's Box with that statement...dvdpiddy will post 30 comments in no time :)

No comments regarding THWG claiming the Woodcrest will destroy current Opteron Servers?