Making the switch from Intel to AMD...

Jasonms

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I'm making the switch from Intel to AMD. I've always been an Intel guy so I know nothing about setting up AMD systems. I'm planning on starting with the 'MSI K8N Neo4-F' motherboard which is a socket 939. This seems to be a nice starting point. Now my question is... Which processor will give me better performance for gaming, either an Athlon 64x2, Athlon 64/FX or Opteron processor? Any advice you can provide is welcome.

Thank you,
Jason

Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
If you have the money, then you might want to go for the AMD FX series, but as Wusy said, remember that video cards are far more important in games, nowdays. If you can't afford a FX, then pick a nice single-core A64, like the 3200+ or the 3700+ (40 bucks more, I believe)

Jasonms

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
That depends on the sort of games you're looking foward to play and how much you're prepared to spend.

For single core 3200+ is still the best option to go now that'll give you plenty of headroom to overclock.
Dual-core won't help with gaming unless you have a GF7800s gfx card.

Thanks for the input wusy :). I had no idea that only certain cards can take advantage of dual core.. I though that was more on the software side. Cool info!
Thanks again,
Jason

Jasonms

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
If you have the money, then you might want to go for the AMD FX series, but as Wusy said, remember that video cards are far more important in games, nowdays. If you can't afford a FX, then pick a nice single-core A64, like the 3200+ or the 3700+ (40 bucks more, I believe)

Well, my pockets are just not that deep anymore these days.. So money is a paramount concern, in my world.. one of the reasons for making the Intel -> AMD switch. Even better news to think that I can get by just fine with a single core processor, I'd rather put that money towards a better video card.. Thanks for your info Vile!

Jason