Is QC Challenger II an ultralight?

I posted a question or two about ultralights in an old thread, but as
it seems to be unraveled and spent, I'll try a new one.

I bought Bill Lyons' QC Challenger II after reading about Dallas'
journey, and because I wanted something slow with big windows. Some
questions:

1. Does the telltale string tell me anything I didn't already know from
the slip indicator on the dash?

I'm not planning on getting one, but if you want to add some more
instruments to this plane, check out today's new glass panel Palm Pilot
http://www.leftseatsimulations.com/palmefis.htm

2. More provocatively, is the QC Challenger II an ultralight? I ask
because I've been flying it (a) at night (b) over densely populated
areas. Both are forbidden for ultralights (FAR 103.11 and 103.15). But,
according to FAR 103.1, a powered ultralight "Is not capable of more
than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight." I've
been cruising at an indicated airspeed of between 65 and 85 miles per
hour, which comes out in knots to between 56 and 74 KIAS. So, do the
prohibitions apply? (Assuming that I trick out my plane with some kind
of appropriate lighting.)

dallas

"David Wilson-Okamura"
> 2. More provocatively, is the QC Challenger II an ultralight?

Yup... the standard QC Challenger II is Ultralight.

Your question is a good one in that the clipped wing version is capable of
more than 55 knots calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight and it
is equiped with nav lights.

At that point I'd guess you need a PPL and I'd assume the aircraft would
fall into a different category. Maybe boB, Peter or someone could shed some
light on this.

I'd also like to know if this webpage's information is out of date:
http://members.tripod.com/~DragonFlight/3drpvt.html

I'm pretty sure you have to possess at least a Sport Pilot licence to take
anything up into the air?

Dallas

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

David Wilson-Okamura wrote:

> I posted a question or two about ultralights in an old thread, but as
> it seems to be unraveled and spent, I'll try a new one.
>
> I bought Bill Lyons' QC Challenger II after reading about Dallas'
> journey, and because I wanted something slow with big windows. Some
> questions:

No, the Challenger II is not an Ultralight in the US. It's too heavy,
too fast and has one too many seats. You would need to be an ultralight
instructor OR have an FAA certification and the aircraft must be N
numbered. A Sport Pilot license is all you need so you could be out
flying your N numbered Challenger II in less than a week with no other
requirements. Your drivers license is your medical.

Here is a quote from USUA (United States Ultralight Association) FAQ at:
http://www.usua.org/faq.htm

Are 2-seat ultralights legal?

You will need a regular FAA airman certificate (Recreational or Private
Pilot) and the plane must be registered with FAA and have a federal
airworthiness certificate (such as amateur-built experimental). The
pilot will then be operating under general aviation rules (FAR Parts 61
and 91). Dual training under Part 103 in a 2-seat ultralight is
available through an FAA exemption.

My Sprint II was a 2 seater and I had to have, stenciled on the frame,
Training Only. Which meant anytime I was flying with another person I
was instructing. And anytime I was solo, it was proficiency flying.

Not to make this too long but here is another quote from the USUA FAQ page:

What are ultralights and microlights?

There are many classifications of "ultralights." The term, as it is used
in the Federal Aviation Regulations, applies to any vehicle, powered or
unpowered, which meets the definitions of FAR Part 103 (Ultralight
Vehicles). The terms "ultralight" and "microlight" are used in many
other countries to describe single and 2-seat planes flown primarily for
fun.

The terms include powered ultralights (fixed wing, rotorcraft, powered
parachutes, etc.) and unpowered ultralights (hang gliders, paragliders,
sailplanes, balloons, etc.). FAR Part 103 definitions restrict weight,
speed, and fuel. The definitions currently apply only to single-seat
craft, with exemptions for two-seat craft that are used for
instructional purposes only.

Generally, the terms "ultralight" and "microlight" identify any
lightweight vehicle designed to operate at very low speeds. Therefore,
many vehicles commonly referred to as ultralights or microlight cannot
actually be operated under the special rules of FAR Part 103. To operate
these aircraft you currently need either an FAA exemption for flight
instruction or a federal airman certificate with a 3rd class medical.
You also need a biennial flight review, plus aircraft registration, and
an experimental airworthiness certificate For the Aircraft (see FAA Part
61 and 91 or your local traditional flight school at the municipal
airport).

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

James Hodson wrote:

>I can see some sort of competition coming on. It will be entitled
>"What's the most inappropriate place you have ever landed?" and the
>prize will be the Lawn Dart Trophy. The best newcomer will receive the
>Melissa Medal.
>
>BTW, what's an Amsterdam Breakfast?
>
>James

James, have you ever thought about taking an Ultralight introduction
flight?

Just pick a calm day, too much wind and you might think it's uncontrollable

--

boB,
Master_Caution_70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)