storing a printer on it's side

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I bought a canon ip3000 and after using it for 2 weeks or so it is currently
back in the box being stored for 2 weeks. I just wondered if storing the
printer on it's side is going to cause problems? The inks are in the
printer. Will my inks ooze out causing me a broken printer or a mess, or
should I be OK?

Brian

Brian wrote:
> I bought a canon ip3000 and after using it for 2 weeks or so it is currently
> back in the box being stored for 2 weeks. I just wondered if storing the
> printer on it's side is going to cause problems? The inks are in the
> printer. Will my inks ooze out causing me a broken printer or a mess, or
> should I be OK?
>
> Brian

I would not store any printer on its side with the inks installed.

bill

Brian wrote:

>I bought a canon ip3000 and after using it for 2 weeks or so it is currently
>back in the box being stored for 2 weeks. I just wondered if storing the
>printer on it's side is going to cause problems? The inks are in the
>printer. Will my inks ooze out causing me a broken printer or a mess, or
>should I be OK?

You should be ok as the cartridges should be sealed to the printhead.
But personally I wouldn't store any printer on its side with the ink
cartridges inside the printer. There's a chance the ink may leak out of
the vents and make a colourful mess. Or the seals may not be 100%.

When the printer is in the shipping box, the ink cartridges are still
well sealed, and inside an airtight package, so it's not an issue for
shipping. But once opened, it's another story.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

So sad... I guess that means I won't be able to bring my printer on my trip
around the galaxy. :)

Happy Holidays to all!

P.S. Any printer model that will work in zero gravity?

"Brian" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>I bought a canon ip3000 and after using it for 2 weeks or so it is
>currently back in the box being stored for 2 weeks. I just wondered if
>storing the printer on it's side is going to cause problems? The inks are
>in the printer. Will my inks ooze out causing me a broken printer or a
>mess, or should I be OK?
>
> Brian

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I got up the nerve to check out the printer and it didn't seem to have
leaked over the last 5 days of storage on it's side. I hope it stays like
that until I can find a new location for it for the next week and a half.

so far so good!

thanks to all
"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:pY6dnVb1b7RiTVHcRVn-3Q@golden.net...
> Brian wrote:
>
>>I bought a canon ip3000 and after using it for 2 weeks or so it is
>>currently
>>back in the box being stored for 2 weeks. I just wondered if storing the
>>printer on it's side is going to cause problems? The inks are in the
>>printer. Will my inks ooze out causing me a broken printer or a mess, or
>>should I be OK?
>
> You should be ok as the cartridges should be sealed to the printhead.
> But personally I wouldn't store any printer on its side with the ink
> cartridges inside the printer. There's a chance the ink may leak out of
> the vents and make a colourful mess. Or the seals may not be 100%.
>
> When the printer is in the shipping box, the ink cartridges are still
> well sealed, and inside an airtight package, so it's not an issue for
> shipping. But once opened, it's another story.

Alan

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 03:08:26 GMT, "Michael" <a@b.c> wrote:

>So sad... I guess that means I won't be able to bring my printer on my trip
>around the galaxy. :)
>
>Happy Holidays to all!
>
>P.S. Any printer model that will work in zero gravity?

I'm pretty sure my Panasonic KX-P1124 would.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

NO
cleaning station ink tank will LEAK :(
"Brian" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>I bought a canon ip3000 and after using it for 2 weeks or so it is
>currently back in the box being stored for 2 weeks. I just wondered if
>storing the printer on it's side is going to cause problems? The inks are
>in the printer. Will my inks ooze out causing me a broken printer or a
>mess, or should I be OK?
>
> Brian

Since the printhead is removable, why not take it and the ink tanks out as a
unit and store them in a sealed container? A plastic freezer container works
fine. Put a damp paper towel in with the unit to prevent the ink from drying
on the printhead. You can then store the printer in any position without
danger of leakage.
--
Ron Cohen

>I got up the nerve to check out the printer and it didn't seem to have
>leaked over the last 5 days of storage on it's side. I hope it stays like
>that until I can find a new location for it for the next week and a half.
>
> so far so good!
>
> thanks to all
> "Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message
>> Brian wrote:
>>
>>>I bought a canon ip3000 and after using it for 2 weeks or so it is
>>>currently
>>>back in the box being stored for 2 weeks. I just wondered if storing the
>>>printer on it's side is going to cause problems? The inks are in the
>>>printer. Will my inks ooze out causing me a broken printer or a mess, or
>>>should I be OK?
>>
>> You should be ok as the cartridges should be sealed to the printhead.
>> But personally I wouldn't store any printer on its side with the ink
>> cartridges inside the printer. There's a chance the ink may leak out of
>> the vents and make a colourful mess. Or the seals may not be 100%.
>>
>> When the printer is in the shipping box, the ink cartridges are still
>> well sealed, and inside an airtight package, so it's not an issue for
>> shipping. But once opened, it's another story.

I recently shipped an HP 1220c with NO ink cartridges in it. Ink leaked out
of the cleaning system and totally destroyed the printer. I don't know if
installing cartridges would have prevented the problem, but I certainly
wouldn't store a used printer in any other position besides 'right side up'.