PIX VPN - NAT and 2 External IP for Peer/Host

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.vpn,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

We are trying to configure a PIX firewall. The other end is at another
company that allows many VPN's so they require two routeable (external)
IP addresses, no internals allowed.

We successfully set up a VPN with the PIX and a forward router. However,
we are load balancing routers and would like to the entire VPN on the PIX.

Below is a sketch (fake IPs, use fixed width font) of how we would like it to be.

------------------------------ --------------------- ------------------ -----------------
| Internal Network 172.1.1.x | | PIX 67.2.2.222 | | External Peer | | External Host |
| | --> | NAT to 67.2.2.2 | | | | |
| | | Crypt | --> | 157.3.3.3 | --> | 160.4.4.4 |
------------------------------ --------------------- ------------------ -----------------

If we have a router outside the PIX, we work fine. But trying to do it all on the PIX fails

We had thought that it would go:
From: 172.1.1.100
To: 160.4.4.4

NAT Translated to
From: 67.2.2.2
To: 160.4.4.4

Tunnel Set Up from PIX (67.2.2.222) to Remote Peer (157.3.3.3)

Encrypt Packet

Send Packet

Decrypted on 157.3.3.3
From: 67.2.2.2
To: 160.4.4.4

Packet forwarded to 160.4.4.4 (NAT translated to remote internal if need be)

Return packets should come back in reverse, being decrypted on the PIX and then NATted back
to the internal network.

This is not what is happening. We have other VPNs using internal local and remote addresses,
and it is not failing. If we monitor the interface, we start seeing a Send Error for each
packet that is attempted to be sent, and there is no tunnel ever established.

What are we missing here? Attached at bottom is relevant config (I think), converted to the
above ips.

Thank you!
Ryan Casey

-------------

PIX Version 6.3(3)
access-list MYNAT permit ip 172.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 host 160.4.4.4
access-list MYCrypto permit ip host 67.2.2.2 host 160.4.4.4

nat (inside) 2 access-list MYNAT 0 0
nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0

crypto ipsec transform-set myset esp-3des esp-sha-hmac
crypto ipsec transform-set ESP-3DES-MD5 esp-3des esp-md5-hmac

crypto map vpnmap 50 ipsec-isakmp
crypto map vpnmap 50 match address MYCrypto
crypto map vpnmap 50 set peer 157.3.3.3
crypto map vpnmap 50 set transform-set myset

isakmp key ******** address 157.3.3.3 netmask 255.255.255.255

isakmp nat-traversal 20
: end

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.vpn,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

instead of "nat (inside) 2 access-list MYNAT 0 0"
try "nat (inside) 0 access-list MYNAT"

------------------ -----------------
> | Internal Network 172.1.1.x | | PIX 67.2.2.222 | |
External Peer | | External Host |
> | | --> | NAT to 67.2.2.2 | |
| | |
> | | | Crypt | --> |
157.3.3.3 | --> | 160.4.4.4 |
------------------ -----------------

> If we have a router outside the PIX, we work fine. But trying to do
it all on the PIX fails

> We had thought that it would go:
> From: 172.1.1.100
> To: 160.4.4.4
>
> NAT Translated to
> From: 67.2.2.2
> To: 160.4.4.4
>
> Tunnel Set Up from PIX (67.2.2.222) to Remote Peer (157.3.3.3)
>
> Encrypt Packet
>
> Send Packet
>
> Decrypted on 157.3.3.3
> From: 67.2.2.2
> To: 160.4.4.4
>
> Packet forwarded to 160.4.4.4 (NAT translated to remote internal if
need be)

> Return packets should come back in reverse, being decrypted on the
PIX and then NATted back
> to the internal network.
>
> This is not what is happening. We have other VPNs using internal
local and remote addresses,
> and it is not failing. If we monitor the interface, we start seeing
a Send Error for each
> packet that is attempted to be sent, and there is no tunnel ever
established.

> What are we missing here? Attached at bottom is relevant config (I
think), converted to the
> above ips.
>

> Thank you!
> Ryan Casey
>

> -------------
>
> PIX Version 6.3(3)
> access-list MYNAT permit ip 172.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 host 160.4.4.4
> access-list MYCrypto permit ip host 67.2.2.2 host 160.4.4.4
>
> nat (inside) 2 access-list MYNAT 0 0
> nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0
>
> crypto ipsec transform-set myset esp-3des esp-sha-hmac
> crypto ipsec transform-set ESP-3DES-MD5 esp-3des esp-md5-hmac
>
> crypto map vpnmap 50 ipsec-isakmp
> crypto map vpnmap 50 match address MYCrypto
> crypto map vpnmap 50 set peer 157.3.3.3
> crypto map vpnmap 50 set transform-set myset
>
> isakmp key ******** address 157.3.3.3 netmask 255.255.255.255
>
> isakmp nat-traversal 20
> : end

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.vpn,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

Would someone please post an "I don't know" so I know this made it to
the rest of the NNTP servers :) Thanks!

Ryan Casey

Ryan Casey <ryan.caey@provion_removeme.com> wrote in

> We are trying to configure a PIX firewall. The other end is at
> another company that allows many VPN's so they require two routeable
> (external) IP addresses, no internals allowed.
>
> We successfully set up a VPN with the PIX and a forward router.
> However, we are load balancing routers and would like to the entire
> VPN on the PIX.
>
> Below is a sketch (fake IPs, use fixed width font) of how we would
> like it to be.
>
> ------------------------------ ---------------------
> ------------------ -----------------
>| Internal Network 172.1.1.x | | PIX 67.2.2.222 | | External
>| Peer | | External Host |
>| | --> | NAT to 67.2.2.2 | |
>| | | | |
>| | | Crypt | --> |
>| | 157.3.3.3 | --> | 160.4.4.4 |
> ------------------------------ ---------------------
> ------------------ -----------------
>
> If we have a router outside the PIX, we work fine. But trying to do
> it all on the PIX fails
>
> We had thought that it would go:
> From: 172.1.1.100
> To: 160.4.4.4
>
> NAT Translated to
> From: 67.2.2.2
> To: 160.4.4.4
>
> Tunnel Set Up from PIX (67.2.2.222) to Remote Peer (157.3.3.3)
>
> Encrypt Packet
>
> Send Packet
>
> Decrypted on 157.3.3.3
> From: 67.2.2.2
> To: 160.4.4.4
>
> Packet forwarded to 160.4.4.4 (NAT translated to remote internal if
> need be)
>

> Return packets should come back in reverse, being decrypted on the PIX
> and then NATted back to the internal network.
>
> This is not what is happening. We have other VPNs using internal
> local and remote addresses, and it is not failing. If we monitor the
> interface, we start seeing a Send Error for each packet that is
> attempted to be sent, and there is no tunnel ever established.
>
> What are we missing here? Attached at bottom is relevant config (I
> think), converted to the above ips.
>

> Thank you!
> Ryan Casey
>

> -------------
>
> PIX Version 6.3(3)
> access-list MYNAT permit ip 172.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 host 160.4.4.4
> access-list MYCrypto permit ip host 67.2.2.2 host 160.4.4.4
>
> nat (inside) 2 access-list MYNAT 0 0
> nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0 0
>
> crypto ipsec transform-set myset esp-3des esp-sha-hmac
> crypto ipsec transform-set ESP-3DES-MD5 esp-3des esp-md5-hmac
>
> crypto map vpnmap 50 ipsec-isakmp
> crypto map vpnmap 50 match address MYCrypto
> crypto map vpnmap 50 set peer 157.3.3.3
> crypto map vpnmap 50 set transform-set myset
>
> isakmp key ******** address 157.3.3.3 netmask 255.255.255.255
>
> isakmp nat-traversal 20
>: end

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.vpn,comp.dcom.sys.cisco (More info?)

Thank you, but I don't think that will do it. I am trying to establish
a VPN with all external addresses as the Peer and Host. If I use a nat
0, the internal addresses of my network will never be NATted to my
virtual external Host address, will it?

MyInside -> MyPIX <--> RemotePeer <-- RemoteHost

I want to VPN from MyInside to RemoteHost. RemoteHost is an external
address and the company hosting it requires an external address for my
host.

I am using NAT on MyPIX to translate MyInside to one external address
(VirtualHost). This should then be encrypted and sent to RemotePeer
throught a tunnel established with MyPIX, specifying the originating
host as VirtualHost and the destination as RemoteHost.

The return packet should be received by MyPIX as destined for
VirtualHost. It should then be NATted to MyInside.

I am using NAT Traversal, which should correct for any problems with the
port mapping of the NAT. This is running PIX Version 6.3(3).

Ryan P. Casey

"Merv" <merv.hrabi@rogers.com> wrote in news:1108738470.487102.228460
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> instead of "nat (inside) 2 access-list MYNAT 0 0"
> try "nat (inside) 0 access-list MYNAT"

TRENDING THREADS