FS2004 Throttle Problem with A380

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
May 23, 2005 1:46:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a little problem with FlightSim 2004 and some airplanes.

I'm using a SideWinder Precision 2 joystick, which has a throttle on
it. Sometimes when I use the throttle, my plane just creeps round to
the right.
I eventually found out that this was because the throttle on the
joystick was affecting only the first engine on the plane. So, when I
was trying to fly the A380 I downloaded, it simply turned slowly round
to the right! Somehow, I don't think it's meant to do this...

This problem only occurs with some planes that I have downloaded. It
doesn't occur with any of the FlightSim default aircraft. And it only
occurs in multi-engine aircraft, of course.

If anyone knows how to fix this, I'd be greatful if you could help me
out!
I thought it may be a problem in the aircraft's config file, but after
a quick look in that file, I didnt see anything related to my problem.
There is more than one A380 on the net. I am using the one which has a
zip called sa380.zip and is made by Mike Stone (check the readthis.txt
file, in the archive).

Thanks in advance!

Richard

More about : fs2004 throttle problem a380

Anonymous
May 24, 2005 10:31:57 AM

re1314 wrote:
-SNIP-
> I eventually found out that this was because the throttle on the
> joystick was affecting only the first engine on the plane.
-SNIP-

> This problem only occurs with some planes that I have downloaded. It
> doesn't occur with any of the FlightSim default aircraft. And it only
> occurs in multi-engine aircraft, of course.
>
> If anyone knows how to fix this, I'd be greatful if you could help me
> out!
-SNIP-

This problem is most likely due to a misbehaving gauge in the
panel of the planes you are having trouble with. It seems to
be a common malady. One that I have run across and verified
a number of times.

What is likely happening is that some gauge is sending a "KEY"
event to the simulator on EVERY simulation cycle. When you, the user,
attempt to send a multi-key "KEY" command such as "E 1 2 3 4",
the misbehaving gauges "KEY" events break your command into five
seperate keystrokes. FS9 will see the "E" and default to selecting
Engine 1 for control. The other keystrokes will not be associated
with e "E" key event.

You can verify the problem by downloading a gauge created by
Doug Dawson called "event_logger.gau". This will show all "KEY"
events taking place with a time reference attached. If you see
that a gauge is sending continuos "KEY events you can go on to
determine which gauge or gauges are incorrectly designed then
either remove or replace that gauge with another of the same
functionality.

Do a search on Avsim for the event logger.

Paul
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 11:28:24 AM

Well, Richard, I suspect you are using the downloaded
A380 panel by Mark Governali ( file A380PNL.zip )

If that's the case, you'll not get the simulator to
recognize your engine control key strokes.

I have the A380 on my system with both the Mike Stone original
panel and the D/L'd Mark G. panel.

I stuck the event logger in both panels and checked the
log file that it creates after throwing some switches.
Here's the result ( only a partial listing in the case
of the Mark G. panel as the log file went to 71KB in a
short period of time! )

FS2004 Airbus380 Panel By Mark Governali

136 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_SIDEWAYS_SET 0 <-- Note the multiple KEY
events
136 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_BANK_SET 0 <-- being generated at time
136
136 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_PITCH_SET 0 <--
136 KEY_SMOKE_OFF 0 <--
136 KEY_SMOKE_OFF 0 <--
137 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_SIDEWAYS_SET 0 <-- Now note that the same 5
KEY
137 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_BANK_SET 0 <-- events are being
generated in
137 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_PITCH_SET 0 <-- the next simultion
interval 137
137 KEY_SMOKE_OFF 0
137 KEY_SMOKE_OFF 0
138 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_SIDEWAYS_SET 0 <-- and ALL SUBSEQUENT
intervals!
138 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_BANK_SET 0 <-- This is BAD...VERY bad.
138 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_PITCH_SET 0
138 KEY_SMOKE_OFF 0
138 KEY_SMOKE_OFF 0
139 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_SIDEWAYS_SET 0 <-- there is NO possibility
of getting
139 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_BANK_SET 0 <-- as Multi-Key user input
to be
139 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_PITCH_SET 0 <-- recognized!
139 KEY_SMOKE_OFF 0
139 KEY_SMOKE_OFF 0
140 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_SIDEWAYS_SET 0 <-- none of these are user
input KEY events!
140 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_BANK_SET 0
140 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_PITCH_SET 0
140 KEY_SMOKE_OFF 0
140 KEY_SMOKE_OFF 0
141 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_SIDEWAYS_SET 0
141 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_BANK_SET 0
141 KEY_AXIS_SLEW_PITCH_SET 0
141 KEY_SMOKE_OFF 0
141 KEY_SMOKE_OFF 0 <-- these go on forever!

//===================================================

Panel that came with the Mike Stone A380

2531 KEY_TOGGLE_NAV_LIGHTS 0 <-- this is how a well behaved
2554 KEY_TOGGLE_NAV_LIGHTS 0 <-- panel will look.
2586 KEY_PANEL_2 0 <--the KEY events shown are a
result
2598 KEY_PANEL_2 0 <-- of user input...I was
flipping
2609 KEY_PANEL_3 0 <-- switches and toggling panel
views.
2639 KEY_PANEL_3 0
2674 KEY_PANEL_4 0 <-- note the time difference
between
2674 KEY_AXIS_THROTTLE_SET -6059 <-- the KEY events compared to
the
2675 KEY_AXIS_THROTTLE_SET -5848 <-- panel above.
2697 KEY_PANEL_4 0
2715 KEY_PANEL_5 0
2749 KEY_PANEL_5 0
2762 KEY_PANEL_6 0
2775 KEY_PANEL_6 0
2790 KEY_PANEL_8 0
2798 KEY_PANEL_8 0
2912 KEY_TOGGLE_GPS_DRIVES_NAV1 0
2932 KEY_TOGGLE_GPS_DRIVES_NAV1 0
3086 KEY_AP_MASTER 0
3098 KEY_AP_MASTER 0

If you are having trouble with other aircraft panels, you'll probably
find
similar results if you use the event_logger.gau to check them out.

To find out what gauge(s) cause the problem, you have to go into the
panel.cfg file and comment out groups of gauges and then capture a new
log output. By the process of elimination you can then get down to the
problem gauge(s). I've got a busy schedule the next couple of weeks so
I'm afraid I can't dig any deeper into this particular problem.

I will dash off email to Mark G. to alert him to this annomaly.

Paul
May 24, 2005 8:09:02 PM

Bryan and Gypsy Baron -

Thanks for all your messages and investigation!

I am experiencing the problems shown in the event logger.

I think I'll wait for Mark G to release a new version of his A380
panel.
Until then, I'll be using Mike Stone's A380!

Thanks once again!

Richard.

May 24, 2005 8:15:38 PM

Press e,1,2,3,4 (reasonably quickly) and it will align all your engines back
with the throttle.

"re1314" <re1314@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have a little problem with FlightSim 2004 and some airplanes.
>
> I'm using a SideWinder Precision 2 joystick, which has a throttle on
> it. Sometimes when I use the throttle, my plane just creeps round to
> the right.
> I eventually found out that this was because the throttle on the
> joystick was affecting only the first engine on the plane. So, when I
> was trying to fly the A380 I downloaded, it simply turned slowly round
> to the right! Somehow, I don't think it's meant to do this...
>
> This problem only occurs with some planes that I have downloaded. It
> doesn't occur with any of the FlightSim default aircraft. And it only
> occurs in multi-engine aircraft, of course.
>
> If anyone knows how to fix this, I'd be greatful if you could help me
> out!
> I thought it may be a problem in the aircraft's config file, but after
> a quick look in that file, I didnt see anything related to my problem.
> There is more than one A380 on the net. I am using the one which has a
> zip called sa380.zip and is made by Mike Stone (check the readthis.txt
> file, in the archive).
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Richard
May 25, 2005 4:27:59 AM

re1314 wrote:

> Bryan and Gypsy Baron -
>
> Thanks for all your messages and investigation!
>
> I am experiencing the problems shown in the event logger.
>
> I think I'll wait for Mark G to release a new version of his A380
> panel.
> Until then, I'll be using Mike Stone's A380!
>
> Thanks once again!
>
> Richard.

You're welcome, Richard.

FYI I sent Mark G. an email describing my findings.
Hopefully he will act on it.

Paul
!