Anybody use Viewsonic VG191??

frankjp

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
Hello,

While my research and such has led me most to the Compaq TFT-7020, I may be able to get a nice deal on the Viewsonic VG191. The specs look good(25ms response, 250n brightness, 500:1 contrast, 170 viewing angle, DVI, etc.) but as was stated, that doesn't always mean too much.

Any first-hand experience?

Thanks,
Frank

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I have seen the panel and yes it is very nice. However I have a question regarding 19” 1280 x 1024 LCD’s in general. Yes the 19” gives a larger image however it is the same resolution of a 17” LCD at 1280 x 1024. This means the pixel pitch is 8.1% looser than a 17.4” LCD. From my experience tighter pixel pitch at the same resolution looks better. Any comments are welcome.

19” at 1280 x 1024 = 86 DPI
17.4 at 1280 x 1024 = 95 DPI

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

G

Well, I have looked at one and I have to say it rocks. Esp. in DVI. I am going to get one this summer for sure.

Jack Burton is a great man...

frankjp

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
Thanks, have you seen how it reacts to gaming, movies, etc? It uses MVA technology which is suppose to be very nice. I have the option to get one at just over the cost of a Compaq TFT-7020 and I am trying to determine if it's something to look into...

Anybody actually own one?

G

I don't own one...yet, but I was able to view a DVD movie on one. No ghosting, was very nice. Colors are rich. I found that text was also easier to read due to the larger screen size. But that's just my two cents.

Jack Burton is a great man...

G

I own one and am very pleased with it. Just hooked up a Matrox G550 (I'm not much of a gamer)and DVI really sparkles.

I haven't seen a 17" LCD so I can't make a direct comparison as to DPI. Surely the text must all be much smaller also on the 17" screen since each character is represented by the same number of pixels? One reason I went for the 19" was I wanted plenty of real estate but was concerned about tiny fonts.

Anyway next to my Viewsonic 790 this screen is incredibly sharp and colorful.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.