Did the Conroe Benchmarks Change Your Buying Plans?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Just curious if the new benchmarks released on the upcoming Intel Conroe processors changed anyone's future buying plans...

For me the numbers were a bit of a shock... I bought an AMD X2-4400 in July '05 and at the time I feel like I bought the right thing... but I think the relationship with AMD is going to be a short one assuming I can save up the money.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Oh absolutely and its going to change alot of things. It will bring back the spirit of Intel and all of their diehard enthusiasts.

I just built my opteron system and I don't regret it one bit as, I love it. Its a great system using what's available today.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
No.
I wanted to get a NB back in Q4-05 using the Pentium M 770 (the Inspiron XPS M170; still called Inspiron XPS Gen2 at that time).
But Yonah was just around the corner so I decided to wait a few weeks. Yonah was introduced, no Yonah-XPS around. The Pentium M 780 has 2.26 GHz and was superior in games so no chance for the Core Duo T2600 with 2.16 GHz so no Notebook for me >_>
Then details about Merom emerged and at that time I was 10000000% sure that there will be an Inspiron XPS using Merom and thats also when I decided to wait for Merom.
Nothing has changed since then =)

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
I was going to get a new rig anyway. If Conroe would not surpass the Pentium D i would have gotten AMD but as it is now i'll surely go for Intel.
I'm aiming for either the 2.66 or the 2.4 ghz both mainstream though both solid performers.
Intel is much bigger and has a lot more engineers than AMD. It was expected for them to come with a better chip though not by that margin. Can't wait for real benchmarks from THG. Only 4-6 months to go. :D

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Did the Conroe Benchmarks Change Your Buying Plans?
Nope. I'm still buying a house, and still hoping that if I ignore my fcuked RAM for long enough it'll magically fix itself and I won't have to spend any more money on computers. Instead I can buy a fridge or something.

Seriously though.... When I next decide to upgrade, I'll look at what's available then, and buy whatever is best at the time. Lets not forget people, that if conroe is that much better than whatever AMD has, then either AMD will drop prices or intel will increase them. I'd definitely not assume the performance and prices are exactly as they are currently claiming.

Worst case scenario (for AMD)? They end up back in the days of offering 80% of the performance for 40% of the price.... (figures plucked out of thin air, but you know what I mean)

Wait and see... since intel Set up the PCs, and it was unveiled at the IDF... Although it does look good, it certainly doesn't look "change your upgrade plans" good, just yet. (although anyone who thinks you can 'plan' an upgrade for 6 months time is a bit dagenham, IMO)

edwuave

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
anyone know where can i get to see the conroe benchmark?

by the way, current AMD benchmark are using DDR400, when AM2 comes in stage i doubt if there are no performance gain from using DDR2 800. hopefully the performance gain will surpass of any intel offering - conroe.

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
It depends on what your buying pattern is. I rebuild every two or three years and buy the best of what is out there when it is time to build. I will wait for the new "next best thing" if it is coming out within a month or two of my system upgrade. Otherwise, if it's going to be six months out or something and I plan to build now, I will just build now. I just built an X2 in Feb, I was not going to wait another six months to get a new system, or even four months to get AM2. If it was coming in April or something, I would have waited. But if I waited to Aug, by then there would be another new "next best thing" coming from AMD like six months later as a response and then probably a response from Intel six months after that. Bottom line is I will only deffer upgrading slightly for a new technology, nothing more then a few months. Otherwise you can always find something new coming out to wait for. You just have to buy what is the best for your money at the time and accept the fact that in six months there will be something better out there.

unreal111

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
my target was to build a gaming computer around 4th of july, well its a perfect timing wheather to decide to go with intel or amd. cuz am2 will be mature, and conroe will be out too (I hope) i dont care who wins, all i care about are the prices...

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
While the lead (40%??) is very impressive, and Conroe is definately a winner in its own right, as I stated in another thread there's no use calling anyone the clear champ right now until both new platforms can be tested head to head.

I wasn't planning on upgrading until the AM2 platform arrived. I wanted to see how prices on 939 react (hey I'm poor) as well as to see what the AM2 offerings would be (I might be able to afford one...right???). I still plan on doing this.

I would also like to point out that we should expect nothing less than a large performance increase from Intel. It's about time they picked up their slack. However, on that note I can also point that Intel had to change their architecture to achieve that large performance gain. AM2 could very well be beaten by Conroe but I doubt the margins are going to be as big as "41%". What should concern Intel is that AM2 will still be competitive with Conroe AND it will be based on current 90nm technology. Intel should be very concerned when AMD introduces its own 65nm chips next year. This should be a nice battle for all to sit back and watch.

And on top of it, we get kick ass chips either way!!

svyerkgeniiy

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Just curious if the new benchmarks released on the upcoming Intel Conroe processors changed anyone's future buying plans...

Nope. I've already waited long enough. I'm not sure I really trust Intel's claims yet as 1) they were in control of everything 2) it's not in production and 3) they benefit more by getting people to hold off an AMD purchase in hope of something new, rather than by telling the truth.

Now I'm also open to the possibility that their benchmarks are real, I'll just wait until more independent confirmation is available.

For me the numbers were a bit of a shock... I bought an AMD X2-4400 in July '05 and at the time I feel like I bought the right thing... but I think the relationship with AMD is going to be a short one assuming I can save up the money.

There's always something greater just around the corner, you know. By the time these processors are available some other drool-inducing technology will be at least six months further into the future. Do you really think that your current X2-4400 won't be sufficiently fast for what you want to do with it? Does 140fps vs. 90fps really matter when your eye doesn't get much benefit of anything over the monitor refresh rate of 75Hz? It will really only matter for things like number crunching work where your wait time will be significantly reduced, I would imagine.

Once the tech is out then someone will take advantage of it in some game or some other software where you really feel the difference; but I'll bet that is more than six months down the road. Why not be happy with what you have and then save even longer for the faster stuff when what you have is really obsolete for the things you want to do?

--dv

I just bought my 939 mobo, so no. In another month or so I'm going to upgrade the RAM and/or CPU to dual core, but I'm not going to buy a new mobo just for Conroe. At the very least, I will wait until true head-to-head comparisons are available, then look at price/performance.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I don't have the money to upgrade right now anyway but I'm hoping to upgrade by this fall at the latest. It's looking like I may go back to Intel but only time will tell. We'll see when its actually out. 6 months is a long time in the PC world and who knows, by then AMD may announce its next architecture.

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
no......as Conroe is not even out yet and neither is AM2 so I am going ahead with my plans and will druel when those 2 new platfoms come out later this year

Rustol3um

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
No.
I wanted to get a NB back in Q4-05 using the Pentium M 770 (the Inspiron XPS M170; still called Inspiron XPS Gen2 at that time).
But Yonah was just around the corner so I decided to wait a few weeks. Yonah was introduced, no Yonah-XPS around. The Pentium M 780 has 2.26 GHz and was superior in games so no chance for the Core Duo T2600 with 2.16 GHz so no Notebook for me >_>
Then details about Merom emerged and at that time I was 10000000% sure that there will be an Inspiron XPS using Merom and thats also when I decided to wait for Merom.
Nothing has changed since then =)

and probably won't for at least 6 more months

Questions like this are bulls*it...how can you base any plans on a chip that isn't available for purchase...I just can't believe that this one article has dominoed into strings of posts with Intel freaks drooling over the prospect that they, some day within the next year, might be able to purchase a proc that they can finally gloat about...WTF...I have never seen such fanaticism over one obviously bias review!

Truly though, with all the marketing hype, repeated memory and socket upgrades/changes, forced standards to the market, and actually come up with the cash, I believe most enthusiasts will wait until conroe is in production and actually available from a retailer before making purchase plans...and even then, they will purchase whatever is the best dollar for performance processor available that they can afford.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I believe the point of my question was to see how dependent people were on future releases in determining their present-day purchases.

Conroe isn't some science fiction CPU... they've already got working versions of the processor that have apparently been benchmarked. To me the only thing that is hypothetical about Conroe is its eventual price... and keep in mind, the benchmarked CPU was NOT the 3.0+ GHz Extreme Edition that Intel has promised.

I own an AMD, but that doesn't mean I'm going to put down what is obviously an amazing new processor. Bless you Intel for giving up on NetBurst and pushing things forward.

It's interesting to see someone mindlessly bash something and then see in their signature what system they run... generally speaking it's the opposite of what they're bashing.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I have not seen anything solid yet on the Conroe to care about it.
I also need to wait for AMDs answer to that (if there needs to be one).

Will all this happen by September toughly?

Is there any real Conroe benchmark? Please give a link.

Thanks!

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I've been perfectly happy with my 3.2Ghz Northwood P4 for my computer, which I use largely for games. But its pretty old now, and none of the current intel processors really excite me, not a big enough improvement.

However, having seen the reports of the Conroe makeing a 4.1Ghz overclocked P4EE look slow, and also beating the performance of an AMD64 clocked up to 2.8Ghz, well Conroe is looking like a temptation.

Even so, I'll wait until Xmas and watch the prices drop, as the upgrade will basically envolve a total new computer, as im setup with AGP, and DDR, so will need to replace everything.

If the Conroe system lasts as long as my 3.2 Northwood, and still feels fast towards the end of its life I'll be delighted.

I got what your saying...don't mean to bash anything...posted the original message before actually taking a moment to reflect and edit...I just fail to understand the seeming fanaticism caused by an obiously bias review and benchmarks...still say questions like this are BS and just feed into the fervor, as evidenced by my own replies, that and the fact I'm killing time with nothing better to do at the moment...ultimately, the consumer wins by being able to participate in a competitive market by purchasing the best dollar for performace processor they can afford...I make no apologies for my signature and two of my other machines are Skt478 P4's...

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Yes, as long as the benchmarks are true and accurate. In all fairness to AMD and my wallet, I'll wait to see if they (AMD) can counter with a worthy chip in a timely fashion before buying. If not, Conroe! Conroe! Conroe! :lol: