Best 600 watt or greater PSU???

RichPLS

Champion
What is the best quality/performing 600 or greater power supply for under $200?
I am wanting to upgrade my Antec 550watt which runs my A8R-MVP and Opty 175 with a single X1800XT.
I will also upgrade to the A8R32-MVP motherboard at the same time.

How has that TP2 550W treated you? Noise? Any issues getting it up and running? Stable? I would think that it would be sufficient for running your rig with an SLI setup...even OCing.

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Get a Hiper 580W Type-R PSU... its what i have and it has a Peak of 630W, and it is as stable as a bridge wrought from titanium. My PSU is running quite a lot, OCed AMD X2 4200+, X1900XT, Creative X-Fi card, etc... And even then i reckon i could add loads more stuff onto it without having to worry. Plus, Hiper is fairly cheap, so you won't need a 600W+ PSU.... hope this helps.

RichPLS

Champion
I love my TPII 550, it is pretty quiet and very stable.
But I also top out at under 2.7GHz and suspect that it is pushing the design limits when overclocking and could be part of the problem holding it back.
Also, I have another PC to build, and will put that one in it, so I need to replace it.

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
how about SilverStone? im using the 520 ones right now... and works really well... just a tad noisy so i reckon that the 600+ from them will be just as good... or maybe better...

LazyGarfield

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
What is the best quality/performing 600 or greater power supply for under $200?
I am wanting to upgrade my Antec 550watt which runs my A8R-MVP and Opty 175 with a single X1800XT.
I will also upgrade to the A8R32-MVP motherboard at the same time.
"Giant waste of energy" comes to my mind when I´m reading such posts. :roll:

Why the heck will you blow that much energy into the air? Your config is fine with 450W anyways.

Good that at ppl like you are supporting the industry :lol:

RichPLS

Champion
I am having memory fluctuations when overclocking...
I have 4 hard drives
DVD Burner
Opty 175 overclcocked
Water Cooling
LCD fan/Temp controller
PCMCIA reader
2 gigs RAM
X1800XT overclocked
PCI TV Wonder
4 fans
several LED's

Using online power configurator, it says at max load I push 560 watts.

RichPLS

Champion
True, but I would like good quality without an enormous price...

I am zeroing in on the Fortron Epsilon 700 watt PSU for $170.
It is a new model, and looks like awesome specs.
It has 4 x 15amp 12 volt rails that dynamically distribute power so all 60amps can flow through one rail if needed.