Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DDR400 ram in my AMD s754 mobo question.

Last response: in Memory
Share
March 8, 2006 3:25:28 PM

well my motherboard has only three slots for ram (its a late AMD socket 754 model from Gigabyte) and i ordered myself some ram. i was using one stick of 512mb, so i ordered myself another 2x512. well my tech guy says that i can only have 2 sticks of 512 in, and that the one extra stick will only hurt performance. is this true? he tells me that AMDs all use dual channel and if i put the one stick of 512 in, i would keep searching for its "partner" so to speak.

does he speak the truth?

i have been told that Dual channel was only implemented on socket 939.

it would be prety retarded if it was duel channel because my motherboard has only 3 slots for ram.

ive read through the motherboard manual and it has said nothing about dual channel or anything like that. my tech guy said that ALL AMD computers run the ram dual channel.
March 8, 2006 6:28:03 PM

use all 3 sticks. s754 was single channel only. Dual channel came in with the 939 socket.

Tell your tech guy he needs to read up a little bit more.
March 8, 2006 6:36:04 PM

Quote:
use all 3 sticks. s754 was single channel only. Dual channel came in with the 939 socket.

Tell your tech guy he needs to read up a little bit more.


He's right. I have a Soyo 754 Mobo, and I just installed 3 x 256MB which is working just fine. Also, I believe you can use non dual channel memory on a dual channel board, you just don't get the performance of dual channel memory.

Just my $.02
Related resources
March 8, 2006 7:43:57 PM

somone also told me if i put ram in all 3 slots i would get something called T2 (or something along those lines, i forget :oops:  ) that would hurt performance. is that true?
March 8, 2006 8:21:30 PM

Quote:
somone also told me if i put ram in all 3 slots i would get something called T2 (or something along those lines, i forget :oops:  ) that would hurt performance. is that true?


Ummm...No. As long as you don't go over the max limit of RAM for your motherboard.
March 11, 2006 12:43:49 AM

There is no difference between "dual channel" sticks of memory and just normal memory. The "dual channel" sticks have been tested to ensure they work together.
You can buy two single sticks and run them in dual channel just fine. I have done this many times with no problems.
March 11, 2006 4:18:59 PM

Quote:
well my motherboard has only three slots for ram (its a late AMD socket 754 model from Gigabyte) and i ordered myself some ram. i was using one stick of 512mb, so i ordered myself another 2x512. well my tech guy says that i can only have 2 sticks of 512 in, and that the one extra stick will only hurt performance. is this true? he tells me that AMDs all use dual channel and if i put the one stick of 512 in, i would keep searching for its "partner" so to speak.

does he speak the truth?

i have been told that Dual channel was only implemented on socket 939.

it would be prety retarded if it was duel channel because my motherboard has only 3 slots for ram.

ive read through the motherboard manual and it has said nothing about dual channel or anything like that. my tech guy said that ALL AMD computers run the ram dual channel.


lots of tech guys dont know jack... he probably thougt 754 is dual channel
!