April 1, 2011 9:32:28 PM

looking to get a new mobo only:
Intel BOXDG43GT LGA 775 Intel G43 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

to be used with all existing parts in my pc

cpu is intel core 2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz and 1066
HDD 650 GB WD6400AAKS and a 250GB WD2500
6GB DDR2 memory

Looking to get Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Just wanted to know if this will work with what I have. the system originally had Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1(don't know if that matters)

Do I buy an OEM or full or retail version?
All new to this.

Thanks for any assistance.

More about : system mobo

a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
April 1, 2011 10:05:13 PM

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit should be fine, full retail is tranferrable but OEM isn't. So motherboard replacement means new licence if you use OEM.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 1, 2011 10:11:54 PM

^this is true however generally if you call microsoft and tell them you needed to replace your motherboard they are forgiving with their license and will give you a new code.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 2, 2011 1:10:03 AM

OEM is tied to the motherboard but I have reinstalled it tons of times with different motherboards. I would say go with OEM and save some money.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 212 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2011 1:27:43 AM

These was widely discussed in the press when introduced with WinXP

Changing the MoBo does NOT necessitate a new license

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

I'm sure it's been changed a bit thru Vosta / Win 7 but since it's no longer big news, very little published about the changes.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2011 1:37:42 AM

If you already have a version of windows then purchase the upgrade version of windows 64 bit home edition. Its cheaper then the full version and you aren't as restricted as you would be with the OEM version.
m
l
April 5, 2011 3:53:09 PM

the only version(s) I have are the ones that come pre-installed on my store bought computers. I guess none of the information from windows(vista) would be on the original Hard drives.? and then I can use those HD and update from their or that won't work? this is all new to me.
Thx
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 6, 2011 12:29:29 AM

What do you mean by, " I guess none of the information from windows(vista) would be on the original Hard drives.?"

Basically what I would do in your situation is purchase your new mobo, and windows 7 upgrade media. Install your motherboard and hook everything up. Then go ahead with the installation of Windows 7. During the installation you will have the option to choose two methods. Ether the "upgrade" method or the "clean install" method. I personally would choose the clean install method.

Keep in mind if you choose the clean install method you will loose all information on your hard drive. So make sure to make a back up of any files you want to keep so that you may move them over to your new OS.
m
l
!