will XP support athlon64 or do i need xp/64 version.

Jasonms

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Hello, sorry for the newbie question. I'm new to AMD and wanted to know if my current Windows XP will support or even work on the Athlon64 processor.. Or do I have to purchase a new version of Windows XP/64? Thanks!

Jason

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I've never really experienced windows 64 bit. I'm sure it does give some performance gains. I know at first, they had trouble with the 64 bit version due to a lack of driver support. I have no idea how it is now though.

XP Pro runs just fine on a 64 bit processor. It runs just as well as it does on my P4-2.0Ghz machine. XP-64 does perform better, but still has driver support problems, especially with older hardware. Hopefully Vista will have better support. It's supposed to anyhow.

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
In case you didn;t believe the other guy, XP 32 bit works flawlessly with an Athlon 64 processor. You do not need to buy the 64 bit version.

Windows XP Professional is available in a 64-bit Edition. You can trade in your 32-bit edition for a 64-bit edition.

Both AMD and Intel have chips that will run in either 32-bit or 64-bit mode.

My suggestion: Stick with 32-bit.

Driver and application support for Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition is not widespread enough yet. While many of your devices and application will run in either OS, there may be a few that you just cannot live without that would work.

I plan to go 64-Bit when I upgrade to Vista later this year.

Jasonms

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Thank you all for the info! Glad I don't have to spend my limited budget on yet another version of windows!. Can't wait to play on my new AMD system!

Jason

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Thank you all for the info! Glad I don't have to spend my limited budget on yet another version of windows!. Can't wait to play on my new AMD system!

Jason

It will be a while before 64 bit becomes any easier or faster than 32 bit.