Sign in with
Your question

Suggestion for MOBO - S754 with PCI-e

Last response: in Motherboards
March 8, 2006 4:26:50 PM

It has been a long time since I was here, but I wanna say Hi to all and a thanks in advance for any suggestions :wink:

Just need to find a decent mobo for my AMD 64 754 Cpu, but needs to have a pci-e slot. I would like to stay below $100. Thanks
March 8, 2006 5:33:46 PM

What kinds of features do you NEED besides PCI-E? Will there be any overclocking? What kind of RAM do you intend to use?
March 8, 2006 9:50:14 PM

I dont plan on overclocking too much if at all. Ram is DDR 400/ 3200

My main concern is the pci-e slot. But of course I would like the best board in terms of performance for the money. It doesnt have to have any special features, just a basic board. If it does have the extra features, I guess it is a bonus :D 
Related resources
March 9, 2006 2:39:13 AM

And there you have it!!!
March 9, 2006 11:21:28 PM

Thanks for your input. I ordered the Epox from Newegg along with the Sapphire x850xt. Cant wait till it arives. Again, thanks
March 31, 2006 6:13:03 AM

Hi, I'm also looking for a slot 754 mobo with pci-express. I took a look at the epox mobo posted in this topic and the reviews are very positive. I don't know anything about EPoX, is it a reliable brand for motherboards? I don't plan on using dual video cards, and reviewers have said it can only run a single card at 8x. Will this be an issue?

Currently I'm using a Anthon 64 3000+ with 2 512 sticks of DDR 400, Corsair valueselect memory. I also using 1 sata hard disk (no raid), 1 IDE hard disk, and 2 burners. My current mobo is made by Asus, so I also took a look at this motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

It also seems to have all the features I need and uses the nForce4 chipset, but a lot of people seem to have problems with it. Anybody know anything about this? Which one should I get?

Also, are mobo's with the nForce4 chipset limited to using Geforce video cards? I heard that Radeon won't work well on nForce4. Thanks for the help.
March 31, 2006 12:26:30 PM

Quote:
I heard that Radeon won't work well on nForce4.

Whoever said that doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Yes, you can use ATi vid cards on mobos that use nVidia chipsets.
Quote:
I don't know anything about EPoX, is it a reliable brand for motherboards? I don't plan on using dual video cards, and reviewers have said it can only run a single card at 8x. Will this be an issue?

That mobo will run one card in x16 and two cards in SLi at x8 and x8.
Epox is a very good mobo mfr. They produce quality products at a great price. I agree with Wusy's recommendation on that board and would take it over the Asus you posted.
March 31, 2006 3:24:19 PM

Yay now I dont have to look or post for a decent 754 mobo ta and it overclocks so i can get a bit more milage out of it
!