Solved

System buidlers licence

I just bought this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116758

for my personal computer and i opened the box to see it is for retail

is there any problem if i use this for my own use? i built a new system and i needed an OS, i have been using ubuntu temporarily until this thing came

so is it ok to keep this DVD and use for my own use or is it only to be sold along with a pre built?
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about system buidlers licence
  1. Its fine for you to use it just does not have the same microsoft support as a retail version. People buy and use them all the time because its cheaper.
  2. If you ever need to decomission your current builds motherboard (due to faulty/upgrade motherboard) you will not be able to transfer the licence over if it is a System Builders Licence/OEM Licence, otherwise it should be ok.
  3. retail versions have limited tech support right?
  4. Retail has full support for a limited time. OEM requires the builder to do the support.
  5. OEM is forever tied to the hardware it was installed on. Can not be re-installed on a new build. You can upgrade but it counts how many things you change and if the secret number combo is exceeded, no go.

Retail license lets you install as many times as you want on nay hardware as long as it's not on two machines at the same time.

OEM gets no support

Retail gets limited support.....after a certain number of calls you pay....last time I called was last millenium (1990's) and was $180 an hour/
  6. hairystuff said:
    If you ever need to decomission your current builds motherboard (due to faulty/upgrade motherboard) you will not be able to transfer the licence over if it is a System Builders Licence/OEM Licence, otherwise it should be ok.

Yes you can but it is not totally legal. It will install and you can use the automated phone system to activate it.
  7. christop said:
    Yes you can but it is not totally legal. It will install and you can use the automated phone system to activate it.

Thanks, this is new information for me. I had re-installed Win7 twice on the same computer and it activated on both occasions without a hitch. Then I upgraded my motherboard and re-installed Win 7 for the third time (same computer). This time, I had to call in to Microsoft to get it activated.
  8. ok thanks for the info

so now i have another problem

i had 2 partitions on my 500 GB hitachi HDD; one for Ubuntu 10.1 and another empty one that would be fille by win 7, it was 200GB, and 300 GB respectively

so last night i read your posts and decided it would be safe to install the OS, everything went smooth until it wanted to restart

the computer restarts but it stayed on the "Starting Windows" screen forever, i didn't think it was frozen cuz the logo was glowing brighter and dimmer. it kept doing that for an hour, then i forced it to shut down and restarted the process

now when i saw the partition list there were 3, one for linux, one for windows, and now a third one that i think was for backup

so i went ahead and fromatted every partiton, sadly deleting my ubuntu. this was to imitate a clean install but again it got stuck on the same screen and this time i left for 2 hours and still nothing.

so what is wrong?
  9. In a case like this, it is better to bite the bullet and start over from scratch. Like you are building a new computer. In reality, that's where you are now, since everything is formatted.
  10. i can't seem to be able to actually start W7

it says it is getting the computer ready for first use but then restarts endlessly

i am really dissappointed, this is my first time building a computer and i thought W7 would be easy to install

i really need a solution!
  11. Win7 64-bit Professional OEM that you have is exactly what I have too.

After you installed this OS earlier, I hope you have not changed the CPU or the motherboard. If this is a first time Win7 install, no problem.

Now start by backing-up all your HDDs on to an external HDD.

Have only ONE HDD installed on your computer (C: drive). Then format this HDD (NTFS) on which you intend installing Win7 (C: drive). This operation will take a while.

After the format is complete, install Win7 64-bit on this C: drive. This operation will take a while.

After Win7 is installed, you may add additional HDDs onto your computer and format each HDD and assign a drive letter. To do this go to Control Panel ---> Administrative Tools ---> Computer management ---> Disk Management. Right click on the drive that you want to format, and NTFS format it. Similar for other HDDs.
  12. that is the problem, the only this had before is ubuntu which i ultimately deleted, so now it is a 465 GB HDD, i don't know why it isn't 500 GB

so it is totally empty. i ran a memory diagnostic and it says there is a hardware problem.......i built it myself, and i made sure to ground myself thoroughly before touching anything

but linux ran smoothly on this so why would there be a hardware problem?
  13. Treat everything suspect and re-do the entire system. It is not advisable to make assumptions while troubleshooting. Start from scratch. Format this 500 GB disk.
  14. ok so that is done

still did not work

i have a blu ray dvd combo drive and a second dvd drive

does it make difference in the drive? this whole time i used the blu ray dvd combo
    but now i am trying the second dvd drive.
  15. Yes, use the regular DVD drive, not the Blu ray drive. Keep this as simple as possible. After Win7 is successfully installed, add other drives and devices.
  16. i am very frustrated now

nothing is working, and this oem so i have no tech support

the computer always installs Windows and goes to restart but the restart is endless, because of how much i have been reinstalling and installing my temps have jumped from low 20s to high 30s

i have formatted my HDD, deleted partitions and everything

could the CD be messed up?
  17. Upendra09 said:
    i am very frustrated now

nothing is working, and this oem so i have no tech support

the computer always installs Windows and goes to restart but the restart is endless, because of how much i have been reinstalling and installing my temps have jumped from low 20s to high 30s

i have formatted my HDD, deleted partitions and everything

could the CD be messed up?

Yes, you could have a bad Win7 DVD. There is no logical explanation for the OS to install properly and then to be in a re-start loop. Try researching Microsoft's knowledge base if you can understand the 'Indian' English. Unfortunately, they think in Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, etc., and then try to translate it verbatim into English. The result is utter crap!

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929 - The folks there are helpful. They helped me activate my Win 7 after I changed my motherboard to an upgraded one, on the same computer. I consider this good customer support!

PS: Don't forget to check the integrity of the DVD drive that you are using. If there is a slight read error then Win 7 may not install correctly.
  18. alright thanks

is there any sort of "virus" i can download to format the HDD without an OS?
    format.exe i heard is what is ideal but i can't find it....
  19. Best answer
    Upendra09 said:
    alright thanks

is there any sort of "virus" i can download to format the HDD without an OS?
    format.exe i heard is what is ideal but i can't find it....

If you have a 'Utility' disk that came with your HDD, then use that to format the C: HDD. It will enable booting for formatting purposes. But first, you must get into the BIOS and change the boot priority to boot from the drive containing this Utility disk.

Another method explained quite well: http://www.ehow.com/how_4828050_hard-drive-no-operating-system.html

Look into http://www.dban.org/

Another way to format (or clone) a HDD is to use Apricorn's Drivewire connected to another computer. http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=39
    I have used this product for cloning HDDs, as well as for salvaging HDDs from old computers. Drivewire works very well.

After doing all this, and before you try installing the OS (Win 7), you must verify the integrity of the DVD drive. It is possible that you may have got a defective DVD drive shipped to you.
  20. Hey, i got it to work

it just decided to go through this time and most of my drivers have been installed, i have the vid card to go still

and it is fast, a phenom II 965 does wonders

thanks for your help guys!
  21. Best answer selected by Upendra09.
  22. Excellent news! Thank you! Make sure you use the "Backup" feature and backup to an external HDD.
  23. absolutely
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Windows 7 Product