chipset fan is LOUD!!!

hrdt0kil

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Ive had a MSI K8n Neo4 motherboard for about 3 months and for the last month or so the chipset fan is friggin loud. I dont know much about computer hardware so I dont know what to do. I unplugged it to see if I really need it, I touched the side of the fan case after five or six minutes of being uplugged and it actually burned my hand so I plugged it back in. The people at techsupportforums.com said I should take off the fan then put some oil on the spindle but I cant figure out how to get the fan off. My room is very dusty so maybe the dust soaks up the oil really bad.

I have repeatedly blown out the case thoroughly with a can of air so its clean enough to eat on.

specs:
MSI K8N Neo4/SLI platinum edition
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
ATI Radeon x850 Pro 256mb
1gig of RAM

bman212121

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Yea, those fans are the worst idea ever. They already run at 5000Rpm+, don't hardly make any noise, and they tend to die really easy. I would try looking at getting a larger heatsink and just scrapping the fan altogether. I bought a Liquid cooling Kit for the CPU, and used another block for the chipset just so I didn't have to worry about that stupid thing breaking.

My old pc, my fan started making that growling noise everytime I started the computer, so I actually took the fan off of our old Pentium 60 that I was throwing away and put it on there. 10 year old fan, still works better than these new POS that they put on there.

The_Cheat

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
i have this mobo, and my fan died after 4 months, what i did is got a vantec chipset fan, and got a zalman fanmate 2. that quites things down for when i am not gaming, but when you are just turn it up to the max