What is the best configuration when installing FS2004

To anyone with advice and knowledge/experience with configurations for
optimal performance of FS2004 :

I recently obtained a new Maxtor 200GB hard drive to go along with my
original 80GB hard drive.

Problems occurred when I copied my OS from the 80 to the new 200Gb HD,
so I decided to and have already saved what I wanted and will be doing
a reformatting of my new 200Gb HD and clean install of my XP along with
my FS2004 and numerous programs and files. But before I do, I need
advice and opinions from those you have had success with installing
FS2004 for optimal performance.

I have numerous huge scenery programs such as FSGlobal2005 ; a few Mega
Scenery programs,etc... that install and use large amounts of space.

Is it best to install scenery on separate partition or is it best to
install everything FS2004 related on separate partition by itself
separate from the OS and its different programs and files??

Or install everything FS2004 related on one drive and the OS and
files,etc on the other drive?

Just asking before I proceed with the install.....

Thanks,

Sean.

"dva2015" <dva2015@forums.simradar.com> wrote :

> To anyone with advice and knowledge/experience with configurations for
> optimal performance of FS2004 :
>
> I recently obtained a new Maxtor 200GB hard drive to go along with my
> original 80GB hard drive.
>
> Problems occurred when I copied my OS from the 80 to the new 200Gb HD,

Hope did you use a tool to copy the partition, did you ?

> so I decided to and have already saved what I wanted and will be doing
> a reformatting of my new 200Gb HD and clean install of my XP along with
> my FS2004 and numerous programs and files. But before I do, I need
> advice and opinions from those you have had success with installing
> FS2004 for optimal performance.

Did you format it in a single partition ? it's even too much.
There's no odd, but you could comfortable dedicate just
the first 20gb to your xp partition and the rest as storage,
unless you need other operating systems to choose at boot time.

IF so, they will come next right after the first 20 gb.

I would part the last 75% of the disk as logical partition
and use it as data space, wich would avoid you huge backups
at any reinstall. Plus, you could perform backups on a scheduled
basis, avoid system crash risks.

> I have numerous huge scenery programs such as FSGlobal2005 ; a few Mega
> Scenery programs,etc... that install and use large amounts of space.
>
> Is it best to install scenery on separate partition or is it best to
> install everything FS2004 related on separate partition by itself
> separate from the OS and its different programs and files??

This depends on how programs are written. Some search
directories just on the current logged volume, some others doesn't.

> Or install everything FS2004 related on one drive and the OS and
> files,etc on the other drive?

IF your computer usage is limited at fs2004, first 20gb as xp
partition are much more than enough, I barely doubt
you even will reach it's 50% by filling it with sceneries
and addons.

A tool you can use to partition your hard disk is disk director,
or Powerquest partition magic (now norton, I heard) while
to copy partitions around and make interactive backups
you can use Powerquest Drive Image. That's what I prefer,
but there are many.