How do Drivers break

mogmoogle

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Hello,

I have recently run into a problem I haven't run into before which is confusing, 3 weeks ago I installed a new graphics card, and clean installed the drivers, last night I was playing Grand theft auto 4 and my computer froze, after I reset the computer it froze again instantly when I loaded it. so I gave up for the night, the next day I tried again and it ran for 5 mins and started freezing, so I reset when I came back to windows the mouse wasn't moving around the screen properly so I guided with the keyboard, after which the display adapter stopped responding twice and eventually froze. so I reset went to safe mode, checked for viruses, malware, all the programs turned up nothing I cleaned my registry had like 3 or for errors, and reinstalled my nvidia drivers and reset, now it works again. I mean I know how to fix crap when it screws up but how did the driver break in the first place, I didn't install any software, or updates or anything since I installed the new graphics card, I've been playing starcraft 2 and GTA4 on and off but that's it so I don't get how a driver can just decide to kill itself, anyone know?

**Edit**

I checked the temperature and it was at 25 while Idle which I assume is good for a graphics card from what I've seen.
I've run memory diagnostics and nothing either, so I don't get it

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It happens more often than you think. Any number of things could corrupt the drivers, I know that I had an issue where I didn't fully remove my nVidia drivers when I bought an ATI card and had all kinds of issues. When uninstalling with GPU drivers, you need to also use a driver removing program such as Driver Sweeper, since even if you uninstall the drivers, they tend to leave remnants that can interfere with new drivers.

mogmoogle

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Kelx25 > actually I whenever I buy a new video card I get the oldest possible driver for it and use that.

Bdcrisn > ya thats what I'm saying I did a clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers and then 3 weeks later it just started screwing up. out of the blue, its weird I'm just wondering what can cause a driver to spontaneously combust. Like right now I have GTA4 on full graphics my CPU is at 49 degreese and my GPU is 36, the rest of my computer is between 25 - 35 degrees, so I know its not heat, and normally if the fan fails you get lock up pixal barf, which has happened to me a few times, of course its most likely windows :p

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
You may be ignoring another possible problem, are you sure your power supply is adequate for your video card and it could possibly be faulty as well. Do you have a friend who could try your graphics card in his system for some tests or possibly swap out a power supply to test. What are the models of your video cards, did you go from a dedicated graphics card to another one or from on-board to dedicated. Please let me know what the models are and I can look into what the power requirements are plus what model is your power supply or at least what is it rated at in wattage.