Sign in with
Your question
Closed

64bit vs 32bit

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
April 1, 2011 10:28:29 PM

So i've been getting some crashes lately from the games i play.I bought this computer with 64 bit windows 7 installed but what i'm asking is do you guys think it's better to just get the 32 bit windows version instead??
I realize that not many apps support 64 bit and maybe thats my problem but i do really not like to spend money on a 32 bit version unless it's abs nessceary?

More about : 64bit 32bit

a b $ Windows 7
April 1, 2011 10:35:33 PM

I have run Windows 7 x64 since the early betas and never had a single problem with it. What are your specs and what games crash?
Score
April 1, 2011 10:37:50 PM

BFBC2 crash's randomly.I've singled out it's a processor related crash but i'm not sure.The game itelf worked for 3 months then i changed the thermal paste on my XFX67870 then it started to randlomy crash.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 1, 2011 10:40:45 PM

Some games just are crash happy. Like anything by Bethesda.......great games but they do the random crash thing.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 1, 2011 10:54:50 PM

purple stank said:
So i've been getting some crashes lately from the games i play.I bought this computer with 64 bit windows 7 installed but what i'm asking is do you guys think it's better to just get the 32 bit windows version instead??
I realize that not many apps support 64 bit and maybe thats my problem but i do really not like to spend money on a 32 bit version unless it's abs nessceary?

No, you would not be better off installing windows 7 32 bit. I don't think your random crashes have anything to do with your OS being 64 bit.

purple stank said:
BFBC2 crash's randomly.I've singled out it's a processor related crash but i'm not sure.The game itelf worked for 3 months then i changed the thermal paste on my XFX67870 then it started to randlomy crash.

Now this on the other hand makes more sense. My bet is that this is your problem. Download a temperature reading program like HWmonitor and install. Run the program with BBC2 and watch the temperatures. If the game crashes record the high temperatures of your GPU and report back.
Score
April 1, 2011 11:07:09 PM

You said you changed the thermal paste on your XFX6870. Why did you do that?
How are the temps on you card? Maybe you did not apply it well and you system due to overheat.
Score
April 2, 2011 12:19:43 AM

The game crashing is in no way related to the temps of my 6870.I replaced the paste just because i was messing around.I know the paste of all default structures are redicluoius os i replaced it.But it in no way relfects the game.I have a very agressive fan speed set to a temp.Example= 70c = 70%fan speed.So theirs no problems with temps i just have no idea.
Score
a c 209 $ Windows 7
April 2, 2011 12:23:27 AM

Are you overclocking? If so set all your speeds back to stock to see if the problem goes away.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2011 12:28:04 AM

purple stank said:
The game crashing is in no way related to the temps of my 6870.I replaced the paste just because i was messing around.I know the paste of all default structures are redicluoius os i replaced it.But it in no way relfects the game.I have a very agressive fan speed set to a temp.Example= 70c = 70%fan speed.So theirs no problems with temps i just have no idea.

Okay. So what are your GPU temps under load just out of curiosity?

Score
April 2, 2011 1:00:52 AM

With the agressive fan speed i have set it never goes above 65c with even the most intensive games.Without the fan speed it goes as ahigh as 85c.But thats normal.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2011 1:34:18 AM

You said you think you singled it out to a processor related issue.

What kind of processor are you running? What temps is that hitting while gaming in BBC2?
Score
April 2, 2011 1:45:24 AM

I have a Phenom ii x4 965/O.C. to 3.8ghx/1.425v.I did overheat the processor a long time back before i knew what anything was you know?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2011 3:07:15 PM

Reset all clock and RAM speed back to the defaults and see if that eliminates your crashes.

If you severely overheated your CPU several times in the past, then that may be the issue. Overheating can cause electronics to eventually fail.
Score
April 9, 2011 6:34:46 AM

What is exactly 64-bit?Does it optimize more cores or something?
How come not every program accepts it?
I was trying to flash my BIOS but i can't download the updates because their in 32-bit.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 9, 2011 6:37:04 AM

Google
Score

Best solution

a c 209 $ Windows 7
April 9, 2011 4:48:54 PM

> What is exactly 64-bit?Does it optimize more cores or something?

A 64-bit CPU uses registers that have 64 bits in them instead of 32 bits. It's like replacing a calculator that only shows 6 digit results with a better one that can show 12-digit results. The most important benefit is that the CPU can address more than 4GB of memory.

> How come not every program accepts it?

The programs that won't work are either device drivers that depend on the underlying hardware or are poorly written application programs that don't follow the standards defined by the Windows API (Application Programming Interface).
April 9, 2011 9:56:03 PM

Best answer selected by purple stank.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 24, 2012 12:00:13 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!