Another boring build question...:o)

scott_p

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I've read through several threads here and found some useful information. I've also found a lot of information that I really don't think applied to me. :D

I'm looking to build a nice solid machine for a low price. I'm trying to keep it under $500, but I think that might be a bit hard to do. I tend to overbuy, but my cheapness comes in handy to bring me back into line.

I'm looking to have a computer for general home and home office tasks along with some gaming capability. Granted, the newest game I have is probably Warcraft III, so the gaming requirement might be a bit overstated. I would like to get into some of the newer games, but I just don't think I have the time to dedicate to them like I used to. I would like a machine that could play them if I felt the urge though.

The computer wuld be used for Office (currently have Office 2000), Quickbooks (2005), light Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro use, some web development and of course internet browing. Having a quiet PC is also a requirement. My current machine is just too damn noisy.

Speaking of current machines, this is what I have now:

AMD Barton XP2500+ at 197 FSB
Asus A7N8X
1 GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
MSI GeForce 5900XT
300 GB Seagate SATA Drive
Thermaltake 430W Extreme Power Supply
CPU Fan is Thermaltake Volcano - runs at 5,000 rpm and can be heard two rooms away. CPU temps run about 45 C.

It's not that slow, I guess, but I think I'm just itchy to upgrade. I'm thinking dual-core since I tend to own computers for a long time. I'd probably re-use as much of this machine as possible.

Any suggestions? Should I just stay put and find a quiter CPU cooler and possibly quieter case fans?

scott_p

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
overclocking, even though I probably don't need the extra performance. Hell, I don't even know if I really ned dual core. But, since I tend to own a system for a few years, dual core will be a little more future-proof/future-resistant than single core, correct?

I see one company had rebates recently on Opterons. I missed out on the 165 for $280, but I imagine that pricing like that will come back soon enough. As far as a motherboard goes, I've always been happy with Asus. I don't plan on going SLI since I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm getting to old to play games all day and I have a business to run. Stinkin' priorities... :D Since I've recently discovered overclocking, I was thinking about going towards a DFI LanParty board. Honestly, I know very little about any of the new boards, so I'll have to do some research in the motherboard section of the forum.

I have the 1 GB of HyperX right now. I'll probably just wait until I see a good deal on 2x1 GB RAM. A video card will be my tough selection. The latent gamer in me will want me to buy something more than I'll really need.