Sign in with
Your question

Thermal interface material? Is it included in AMD OpteronPIB

Last response: in CPUs
March 8, 2006 11:18:12 PM

Aperently the Opteron 270 Processor in a box includes a Fan/Heatsink but NOT thermal interface material????
Whats up with that? Am I missing something? It says in the instalation guide,
Quote:
"Thermal interface material is required for all AMD processors, use only the recommended theramal inteface matterial for this processor (see thermal cooling guideline on AMDs website for a complete list of approved material for the specific processor you are using."

BUt i have gone to AMDs website and for the love of pete, I cannot find any info on thermal inteface material that AMD recomends.

How about Artic Silver 5? Should I buy that and be safe? I dont want to screw anythign up.
March 8, 2006 11:43:21 PM

Acording to this link bellow. The thermal inteface material is already pre-aplied to the heatsink. THats what that grey square is. So you dont have to go out and buy your own artic silver 5 or whatever. Well, problem solved. AMD should make that clearer in the manuel.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/...
March 9, 2006 2:46:29 AM

LOL.

Thanks for sharing that with all of us. Try googling the question next time. ;-)
Related resources
March 9, 2006 2:48:26 AM

LMAO

Man, i'm so glad we've got you around :wink:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2006 3:14:47 AM

A refreshing thread!
March 9, 2006 11:23:43 PM

Well, maybe some kid in the future will come across this "non-event" problem, which he thinks is a problem- then search here and -Bam- Ive saved him 9 bucks. now the world is a better place.
March 9, 2006 11:49:30 PM

indeed
March 10, 2006 12:30:17 AM

All I can say is, Thank God for Google!
!