SID & ATC

On departure do all aircraft have to follow the prescribed SID until
transition? Or can you contact ATC and request "Straight out
departure?"

I noticed a departing aircraft leaving Birmingham(UK) and departing
straight out this morning.

Seeelochan wrote:

> On departure do all aircraft have to follow the prescribed SID until
> transition?

If ATC gives a SID in the IFR clearance and the clearance is accepted
by the pilot, then the aircraft is expected to fly the SID. All of
this happens while the aircraft is at the gate or ramp. At departure
time, the pilot is simply flying the clearance s/he accepted or ATC
vectors and altitudes, depending.

> Or can you contact ATC and request "Straight out departure?"

Yes, the pilot may certainly ask for more direct routing as the flight
progresses. Normally in a non-military IFR flight, the pilot would not
ask the tower controller for a change in the clearance. Instead, if
the pilot wanted to cut some corners off a SID or even a en route
route, the pilot would ask this during check-in with the departure
frequency by asking direct to some VOR or intersection further up the
route, such as:

"New York Departure, Delta 123, one thousand five hundred, climbing one
zero thousand, request direct SPARTA."

Now, whether ATC grants this request depends on traffic, who owns the
airspace further up the aircraft's route, their local ATC procedures,
or even if the controller is in a good or bad mood, to name a few.

--
Peter

--
Peter

In article <1116323843.8619@forums.simradar.com>,
Seelochan@forums.simradar.com (Seelochan) wrote:

> *From:* Seelochan <Seelochan@forums.simradar.com>
> *Date:* Mon, 23 May 2005 09:46:23 -0500
>
> On departure do all aircraft have to follow the prescribed SID until
> transition? Or can you contact ATC and request "Straight out
> departure?"
>
> I noticed a departing aircraft leaving Birmingham(UK) and departing
> straight out this morning.

it's very common for ATC to give aircraft a more direct routing if it is
quiet, or there's no conflicting aircraft. I often hear the departures
from London City airport given "turn right direct Dover" (The SIDs from
EGLC go all round the houses to keep them out of the way of the Heathrow
and Gatwick arrivals).

Ruth

Latest posts